Transfer of 'firearms' between states

What is the brain trusts opinion on transfer of 'firearms' (aka not handguns, long guns, or nfa) between states? Are they treated like long guns and good to go directly from out of state ffl to me or treated like a handgun and out of state ffl to in state ffl to me?

Dont worry, i am asking for a freind in anouther state Mara...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Like one of these?

http://www.mossberg.com/category/series/590-shockwave/

50659-catalog.jpg

NFA covers AOW so are you talking about shotguns? That seems all that is left after removing handguns, long guns and NFA - and that is by confining long guns to not include shotguns

He's talking about a Shockwave. Is it even MA legal? I doubt it but could be pleasantly surprised.

I asked an FFL yesterday, and he said the BATF was elusive, only describing it as a firearm. If it is not an NFA item (AKA SBR), then it is likely considered a pistol (similar to the Thompson Contender series). If it is a pistol an FFL would look to see if it on the "approved list". And it is not.

This is the logic that was presented.

It appears the Remington 870 TAC-14 or Mossberg Shockwave could be MA legal, has anybody seen one for sale at a FFL located inside Mass?

It is mass legal, but the AG sent out an angry gram about it (and simular weapons). Basically threatening mass ffl's with protracted legal harassment if they sell them .. though perfectly legal.
For those who don't know the law you can buy a long gun in carry a rifle or shotgun outside of your state of residence different from an FFL as long as it is legal in your state to possess. Pistols have to be transferred to an FFL in your home state pick up there. Is weather in pistol nor a long gun so I am curious what the law is about

I asked an FFL yesterday, and he said the BATF was elusive, only describing it as a firearm. If it is not an NFA item (AKA SBR), then it is likely considered a pistol (similar to the Thompson Contender series). If it is a pistol an FFL would look to see if it on the "approved list". And it is not.

This is the logic that was presented.
It is not a pistol either. The classification is simply firearm.

Need a scan/OCR of the AG letter

Seems like every gun store in S.NH ordered the Mossberg Shockwave as soon as it was announced. I expect to see a bunch of them on Armslist, cheap, as people go through one tube of slugs or buckshot and decide that smaller and lighter isn't for them.

See the other thread for info on the Aguila mini-shell adapter.

It is mass legal, but the AG sent out an angry gram about it (and simular weapons). Basically threatening mass ffl's with protracted legal harassment if they sell them .. though perfectly legal.
[pics]
Sounds right, would be interested in seeing the letter.

Last edited:
What is the brain trusts opinion on transfer of 'firearms' (aka not handguns, long guns, or nfa) between states? Are they treated like long guns and good to go directly from out of state ffl to me or treated like a handgun and out of state ffl to in state ffl to me?

Dont worry, i am asking for a freind in anouther state Mara...

If you're talking about things like stripped lowers for most intents and purposes they are treated like handguns and are subject to all the same rules and bullshit federally as handguns are, the only difference is a different box gets checked off on a 4473 as "other". And yes, the state of residency constraint still applies. So if you are trying to pick up a few lowers out of state (that's what this smells like, LOL) you'd need to have a proper residency claim that meets BATFE standards.

-Mike

Just an update evidently Rhode Island considers it to be a pistol grip firearm so they've been directed by their AG to treat it as a pistol for sales and what-not. Oh well, that goes that bright idea

Last edited:
I can neither confirm or deny....

Pretty straight forward, and it even says it on the box that gun comes in...

The issue is not the legality to possess or own but the ability to register as mass has no function to register a "firearm" it would have to be registered as a "long gun" which it can't be or a handgun which it sent "compliant"

Given the scenario where you owned one and moved here and therefore not "required" to register the firearm it would be legal.

I realize there are states like CT and their messed up laws. I have no idea how this is interpreted, but I would guess its with similar legal threat and backdoor ban style rhetoric

Last edited:
Ummm, i belive you are required by law to "register" firearms you move into the state with....never looked into it, but I thought I remember reading that on here someplace.

Ummm, i belive you are required by law to "register" firearms you move into the state with....never looked into it, but I thought I remember reading that on here someplace. Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Not firearms you move in with.

If you purchase out of state as a MA resident and bring in, yes, it must be FA-10ed within 7 days.

I don't have the cite, but Len has told us time and again.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom