Transfer Fees - List of Dealers Charges

It's time to start a list of dealer transfer fees.

Charges and policy vary from dealer to dealer. I was just getting interested in a couple of the classifieds here and thinking that it would be worth running the sale through a dealer to guarentee a clean deal.

Curtis

If you're buying from the classifieds section, I wouldn't worry about an "unclean" sale. 99.9+% of the people on this forum are good, upstanding, law abiding citizens. I've done quite a few FTF sales with a bunch of members here... it's a great way to meet new shooting buddies! Plus, it brings the forum closer together when you have met many of the members personally. If nothing else, it saves you a few bucks, too!

Did you want to start a list in this thread?
If so, here are a couple of central Ma dealers I've used:

TiteGroup Sporting
- Northborough. $35 (Last I was there)
The Gun Room - Shrewsbury. $25 for Long Gun, $35 for handgun if my memory serves me (I avoid that place like the plague anyway)
B&K Sales - $25 - Natick. This guy is awesome. My main FFL for transfers
Four Seasons - Woburn. $40 I believe for incoming. $20 + packaging and shipping for outgoing.

Last edited:
If you're buying from the classifieds section, I wouldn't worry about an "unclean" sale. 99.9+% of the people on this forum are good, upstanding, law abiding citizens. I've done quite a few FTF sales with a bunch of members here... it's a great way to meet new shooting buddies! Plus, it brings the forum closer together when you have met many of the members personally. If nothing else, it saves you a few bucks, too!

Did you want to start a list in this thread?
If so, here are a couple of central Ma dealers I've used:

TiteGroup Sporting
- Northborough. $35 (Last I was there)
The Gun Room - Shrewsbury. $25 for Long Gun, $35 for handgun if my memory serves me (I avoid that place like the plague anyway)
B&K Sales - $25 - Natick. This guy is awesome. My main FFL for transfers
Four Seasons - Woburn. $40 I believe for incoming. $20 + packaging and shipping for outgoing.

Titegroup is now up to $45 for transfers, I believe.

Where is B&K Sales in Natick? Address & Tel?

I don't understand why anyone would go through a FFL to ship a gun, especially at FS.
FS sends everything UPS Overnight, a hefty price tag. You might as well ship it yourself
and save the $20 packaging fee. A lot of FFL's use USPS (much cheaper to ship) but
FS doesn't.

Last edited:
When I last got a gun from Yankee Artifacts in April, Phil told me that I could either pick it up at Callaghans for a $25 xfer fee or at Titegroup for a $35 xfer fee. When did Titegroup go up?

$45 is pretty flippin steep, man. Jeez. Its not like it is hard work to call a phone number and read off some information. $45 bucks for 10 minutes worth of work is just ridiculous, IMO. B&K sales isn't a 'gun store' per say... meaning he doesn't have an inventory. He can order things for you, and you can have things shipped to him for transfer, but as far as going in and buying something off the shelf, nope. He's by appointment only. Brian is a squared away guy. His number is 508-735-0060 and he's located on 23 Main St in Natick.

Addition to the list:
Sparky's Gun Shop - Webster. $20

Last edited:
Last time I was at Ron's in South Dartmouth he charged $20. I'm pretty sure Richie's in Westport charges the same. These are shops in South Eastern, Mass.

Hoffman's Gun Center, Newington, CT : $50 transfer + shipping on outgoing

Newington Gun Exchange, Newington, CT : $30-35 typically + shipping on outgoing FedEx

Sportsmen's Outpost, Inc, Wolcott, CT : $30 + $20 outgoing.

prices are current within the last week

$45 bucks for 10 minutes worth of work is just ridiculous, IMO.
Try going into any other business and tell them "I would like to buy directly from a wholesale supplier negotiating my own deal and them pay $45 to take delivery of the product through your business, but first, you need to send them a signed copy of your license so they will interact with me as a 'dealer'".

Maybe the bicycle shop in town would agree to send a copy of their yellow page ad and a business card to the wholesaler of your choice and agree to accept delivery of a $600-$2000 product for you in exchange for a $45 fee :).

$45 was a bit steep when there were "kitchen table dealers" doing it for fun and helping their buddies at the club in return for "volume on the books" to look like a "real dealer", but when you ask a full time shop to facilitate a transfer so you do not have to make a purchase from him, $45 seems pretty cheap.

Last edited:
Archer Arms Co. - $35

Joe is a LEO who runs the shop 5 days a week during his time off and does training the other two. He is honest, fair and by the book.

Monday closed
Tuesday 11:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Wednesday 11:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Thursday 11:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Friday 11:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Saturday 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Sunday closed

located at
Carver Square Marketplace
Bldg 2, Unit E, 128 Main St.
Carver, MA 02330

1-508-866-5668
1-508-866-5488 (FAX)
[email protected]

Last edited:
Try going into any other business and tell them "I would like to buy directly from a wholesale supplier negotiating my own deal and them pay $45 to take delivery of the product through your business, but first, you need to send them a signed copy of your license so they will interact with me as a 'dealer'".

Maybe the bicycle shop in town would agree to send a copy of their yellow page ad and a business card to the wholesaler of your choice and agree to accept delivery of a $600-$2000 product for you in exchange for a $45 fee :).

$45 was a bit steep when there were "kitchen table dealers" doing it for fun and helping their buddies at the club in return for "volume on the books" to look like a "real dealer", but when you ask a full time shop to facilitate a transfer so you do not have to make a purchase from him, $45 seems pretty cheap.

+1. I would recommend Tite-Group in a moment. A great guy to work with!

The Firing Line in Pearl River, NY - $45. BUT... the guys there are GREAT to deal with. No BS, they know the laws, they're personable as all hell, and it's a nice place to browse while your nephew is filling out his very first 4473. [smile]

Dave's Shooting Sports, Goshen, NY - does NOT do transfers unless they receive the firearm shipped from another FFL. The two guys holding up the gun counter gave me some bullshit story about how the BATFE requested all the gun shops in NY and NJ not to do any face to face transfers with walk in clients - something about they wanted to keep track of what guns were coming in from where. (funny... I thought that the 4473 did that.) Strange, but The Firing Line never heard that BS, either. Interesting looking store, but I don't appreciate the bullshit.

Bob's Gun & Archery in Webster, MA WAS doing transfers for $25.00 but recently went up to $45.00. He also told me he will only do FFL to FFL shipped transfers. He told me the reason why, and after I heard I can understand. He was doing a transfers for a customer through Gun Broker and the person needed an FFL so he asked if it was a business and the customer said yes and gave him his sellers info. He then sent an FFL to this person and when the gun was received it had no Information who it came from and no FFL in with it.

So, he called the number the customer was given and it was disconnected and then tried to contact GunBroker for contact info on the seller. After waiting for a response they came back with the same info, Now what does he do now he said. I can't acquisition a name with a p.o box number, so he had to research it a different way and tracked the guy. Sure enough he wasn't and FFL holder and the gun he sold was not even his, he told him it was a person that asked him to sell it for him. He said name and phone number please, and of course that number did not work. In short after he worked it all out it was some poor slobs wife selling one of his guns for money without him knowing. After him just telling me the story I can see why he went up and why he does not accept any gun unless the person has and FFL and he told me he now confirms the FFL dealer through the FFL E-Z check system and he still gets people trying to do transfers who state they are dealers and has found bogus info.

He even told me he had one guy use the FFL numbers of another Dealers shipped FFL to try to get him to send his to transfers a gun. He said it was funny when he had the guy on the phone and he gave him the number to check and the guy didnt know he was running it the same time, and when he asked how do I ship a gun to Florida when your in Montana, I guess he hung up.

I guess after I can see his point, at least he knows if it comes from and FFL dealer he knows that person actually exist and the info is not bogus.

Bicycle transfers aren't regulated by state and federal laws, Rob. I can buy a bicycle from any dealer in the country and have it shipped to me. I can buy any piece of electronic equipment from any dealer in the country and have it shipped to me. I can even buy a car on Ebay from a dealer in California and have it shipped to me. I can't do that with any gun other than a C&R weapon if I have an 03 license. That's if a dealer in another state will ship to me, which most won't.

Which is my way of saying that your analogy doesn't hold up.

Dealers are free to charge anything they want to do transfers, which is how it should be as long as the current system is in place. We, as consumers are also free to withhold our custom from any dealer that we think is over charging. We are also free to express our opinion of dealers who we think are over charging.

$45 is pretty flippin steep, man. Jeez. Its not like it is hard work to call a phone number and read off some information. $45 bucks for 10 minutes worth of work is just ridiculous,

Actually, the shop does a few more things:

- They do two transactions - the one you see, plus the incoming one.

- The fee needs to be high enough it's a productive use of their time. Try getting any other business to let you use their dealer address to have something they sell shipped with dealer pricing and pay them a $40 fee to handle the transfer of the merchandise. Perhaps you could ask one of the diamond merchants at Washington St in Boston if they would let you buy at dealer and pay them a transfer fee if you pay the vendor directly.

- The are a potential defendant FOREVER as a result of having sold you the gun. Think not? Ask that shop in WA about their victory when they only had to pay $500K because the beltway sniper's gun came from that store.

Remember, it's a business and the time staff is hanging around has to pay for the time they are working. Of course, everyone feels the fixed costs should be spread across the purchases other people make, and their purchase should be treated as the "incrementally free" purchase.

I'd rather pay $40 or $50 and have the shop consider me a good customer, that get a bargain and not be able to count on them to handle a similar transaction for me in the future.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom