• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Transfer C&R Revolver From Out Of State FFL To MA

Hi Guys,

My C&R came today, and the first order of business is getting my grandfathers 38spl police service revolver over to me from out of state in NY. It is C&R eligible (over 50 years, although not found on the list) He had let his license lapse, so his sister currently has it registered.

Let me know if I have the process correct -

She will need to go to an FFL in NY, and initiate a transfer to me, which will require a copy of my FFL. Probably be charged a small fee to ship? (Out of curiosity, her process with the FFL will update NYs system to list it as being sold?)
The FFL in NY will ship to my door in MA
I'll need to record in my C&R records, as well as fill out an E-FA10. The E-FA10 will be a registration, and I will NOT fill in the sellers information.

Am I missing anything?

I would not be able to travel to the FFL and pick it up there as I do not have a pistol permit in NY, and would be illegal.

Appreciate it!

This kind of lends itself to a question I had and I think it answers it, but just to clarify, when I am buying using my C&R, if the seller is not C&R they need to ship through an FFL, but it can come directly to me?

A secondary question is whether or not C&R transfers count toward my four FTFs each year if I sell within the state?

This kind of lends itself to a question I had and I think it answers it, but just to clarify, when I am buying using my C&R, if the seller is not C&R they need to ship through an FFL, but it can come directly to me?

A secondary question is whether or not C&R transfers count toward my four FTFs each year if I sell within the state?

There is NO requirement that a shipper (seller) be a FFL! Only the receiver must be an FFL. You DO need to require adequate proof of who the seller is however (DL, LTC, CCW, etc.) to satisfy the BATFE requirements and put that info in your Bound Book.

ANY transfers OUT from you other than to a Dealer (or an out of state FFL of any type, including C&R) eat up one of your 4 FTF FA-10 Transfers/calendar year. You can transfer as many IN to you as you can afford, there is no limit.

This goes without saying, but Massachusetts sucks. If I am an FFL - even an FFL03 - I shouldn't need to use one of my four FTF FA-10 transfers for a C&R transaction. Lame. Predictable, but lame.

the good thing is, I'll never end up parting with most any C&Rs I get anyway.

Back
Top Bottom