• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Training options for total n00b

jar

I've been a long time 2A supporter, and it's always felt slightly hypocritical that I have no personal shooting experience. I did a little bit of air rifle target shooting in the cub scouts many years ago, but that's it. I'm looking for a class geared to total beginners like myself.

In researching my options, I haven't found good info on exactly what the different courses include. I'll describe what I think my ideal course would be, and people can let me know how the various offerings fit into that.

I think my ideal course would be a full day on a Saturday or Sunday. The morning would consist of classroom instruction on safety, legal issues, and basic pistol techniques. Afternoon would consist of range time learning and practicing the basics. I'd like most of this to be done on 22s, and then some time to try out a few different common handgun types. Say a 38/357 revolver, an M&P, and a 1911.

Do any of the courses fit this description? I see that Westford Sportsmens club offers a class through Roudenbush. The description sounds like it exactly meets my expectations on the classroom portion, but it's unclear if range time is included also.

I'm writing this assuming you don't have an FID/LTC yet.

Except for the part about trying out several centerfire handguns, your ideal sounds like the basic NRA safety course offered at just about every big gun club in MA. It's a requirement before getting a firearms license in the state. They are typically very light on range time, and are more of a familiarization course in that regard, but they will tell you the basics and let you try them on .22s. There isn't usually a whole ton of accuracy coaching going on, because the instructors are focused on everybody performing safely. If you haven't really handled pistols before, this is the place to start.

Once you have one of those under your belt, there are more NRA courses offered (in fewer places) that will focus more on shooting technique or the details of carrying concealed.

If you can get a spot, Jim Conway on this forum has been offering clinics for very short money every few months. They are excellent for improving your practical pistol skills, but you'll need your own pistol for one of these and handling safely should already be second nature to you.

If you'd be interested in the rifle version of what you're talking about, I offer free Appleseed rifle clinics at Harvard Sportsman's Club every month. The next one will be on September 30th from 2pm to dusk. PM me if you'd like to come and you can borrow my .22 for it. If you come a little early that day or want to set up an earlier day, I can show you how to safely operate it (and some other rifles) ahead of time so you can absorb the shooting technique during the class.

The class you're talking about is the NRA Home Firearm Safety course. I used to teach it there, but now another instructor is handling it. The morning classroom part (~4hrs) covers firearm safety, different types of firearms, their parts and operation, Massachusetts firearm law and hands on exercises in safe gun handling. The afternoon part at the range includes both .22 and center-fire handguns; it's optional and not part of the formal NRA course. You'll need to make arrangements with the instructor, since he doesn't normally anticipate doing it the same afternoon. The current instructor has a good assortment of revolvers, but is fairly short (by NES standards) on semi-auto's; he does have a 1911, though.

If you see an NRA Basic Pistol course listed anywhere, that's a longer course (~10hrs) that is roughly evenly divided both classroom and range sessions. As the name suggests, both the classroom and range parts focus solely on handguns. There are other courses, the NRA Basic Rifle and Basic Shotgun courses that focus on these types of firearm.

Besides myself, there are several other instructors on this list who offer slightly different course selections, mostly the above NRA courses or, like the Roudenbush class, slight variations.

Ken

To back Crak up a little here, if you were to attend a Full Appleseed, I can assure you that having a rifle to attend the course would not be a problem, assuming I'm Instructing at the one you attend.

I have several loaner rifles, 6 of them Ruger 10/22 rifles that have been set up for the program. You would be welcome to use one of them, as long as I know enough in advance to reserve one for you.

Again, assuming that you don't have your license yet, here's what you're going to want to do:

Step #1, take a basic safety class that will satisfy the MA requirement to get your License to Carry. These include the NRA Basic Pistol Class, NRA Home Safety Class, and others. You can take them through the Gun Owners Action League (GOAL), nearly any private gun club, any public gun range (American Firearms School or the Boston Gun Range), most gun shops have instructors they can recommend, or a private instructor or team of instructors, like NEShooters. Check the "instructors" page on this forum.

Step #2, go to your local PD and apply for a license to carry.

Step #3, become a paid member of this forum - you'll become buddies with the most awesome group of people who are willing to share their knowledge (and often their firearms) with you. We do group shoots, group buys, share information, and we even have a secret handshake.

Step #4, hook up with Jim Conway and his trainers at www.NEShooters.com (they're all members on the board here too). They do an amazing job teaching "intermediate" defensive pistol skills, which will bridge you between the basic safety class you took to get your license, and more advanced classes. When the time comes, check out some of the nationally-known instructors they bring to the area for those classes

Step #5, hook up with Nickel, Crak and Dwarven1 and learn how to shoot a rifle through the Revolutionary War Veterans Association's "Appleseed" program. You can actually do this while you're waiting - they always have plenty of extra rifles and ammo they're willing to share. As Crak mentioned, Sunday the 30th is the next local shoot, and we're all going up to Jericho, VT for a weekend shoot in October. See http://www.appleseedinfo.org/.

Step #6, you'll be completely addicted at this point in time, and the sky's the limit (or maybe your credit card is the limit - you'll just have to see).

Last edited:
Step #6, you'll be completely addicted at this point in time, and the sky's the limit (or maybe your credit card is the limit - you'll just have to see).

+1

Step #7, find an IDPA or USPSA club near you and join the practices and matches to continue to improve your shooting skills and meet new friends!

It is a know fact that such an addiction exists. The good news is the Neshooters can help with a permanent cure. Because of the revolutionary aspects of our program, I am sure that you will understand why I can not reveal even the smallest details. Please rest assured the the program works and is well worth the dollars involved. Several members of our staff have been through this program and easily testify to the results. I invite KM and MN to speak up and admit that you were both addicts and have been cured.

We are in the middle of trademarking our name for the program and applying for patents on all of the key steps. BTW, we wanted to call the program Gun Shooters Anonymous (GSA), but those uppity Girl Scouts had a fit. We are now researching a new name "Stop - Training 'til You drop" (STTUD).

Back
Top Bottom