Training in the Northeast - Legalities

Training with your own firearm in CT by non-residents.

Hi there,

CT. statute does maintain a provision for non-residents to bring their own firearms into the State for taking part in formal training.

The actual statute which was posted previously is also available on my website at: https://www.wa-protective.com/flash/reference/downloads.asp

Be Safe

Bryan S. Williams
President / Chief Instructor

Williams Associates Protective Services, LLC
www.wa-protective.com
www.wttrw.com

Back to NH...on their non-resident application they have two option Protection or All Proper Purposes. I have a MA LTC ALP so would the All Proper Purposes be the equivilent?

Why all the fear if you have a ccw or are legal within the state that you reside in and are not a criminal and are abiding by the travel thru guidlines of the State and you are going to a Match and its during your 2 or 3 day training session. Why is all of this rederick so constant.
The notable exceptions are the airports in NY and Albany which appear to have a "no discretionary arrest, let the courts sort it out" approach to FOPA86.

There is a federal law which covers carrying a firearm for training or matches as long as you are licensed in your own state, you can carry your firearm to and from said events as long as it is unloaded and locked in a case.

There is a federal law which covers carrying a firearm for training or matches as long as you are licensed in your own state, you can carry your firearm to and from said events as long as it is unloaded and locked in a case.
This law (FOPA 86) covers transport between locations in which you are legal, however, it does not grant any rights to possess for training in a prohibited jurisdiction. Furthermore, this law makes no mention of purpose so "carrying a firearms for training or matches" is completely irrelevant as far as federal law is concerned - it's possession on a continuous and uninterrupted journey between prohibited locations that is covered. Also, note that in most places other than MA "carrying" means just that and possession in a case locked in the trunk is "possession" or "transport" but not "carry.

Exemptions in states with restrictive laws can be very specific - for example, NY is for NRA or IMHSA recognized matches only (NY penal code 265.10(13)) and the MA exemption (Ch 140 sec 131G) is for Matches or gun shows only - neither covers training events - although it is possible there could be a match at a training event.

Last edited:
Pretty bad! I'm not surprised that they don't even acknowledge HR218 which became Fed Law last year (LEOs allegedly allowed to CCW in any part of US on the badge). CT is not alone here. MA and FL have declared that NO retired LEOs "qualify" under HR218!

I don't know where this came from but it is inaccurate. Florida has provisions for the LEOSA and has for some time. No state to date has made any charges based on anyone properly possessing a handgun under the LEOSA. State are slow to modify their statutes and documentation to reflect these changes. Even NJ and NY has made it clear that they will be following those guidelines.

i dunno about those NY laws. seems like smoke and mirrors to me.

i drive through NYC down to long island and i bring my AR to the nassau county police department's range, walk in, show my MA driver's license, pay a few bucks, and shoot. not a peep from a single RSO. the guy at the window will offer you some targets.

as long as you have 10-round mags and you're not in suffolk county, you're probably getting in unharassed just about anywhere.

the only thing you have to deal with is a few cops staring at you kind of hard once you're out on a line. especially if you're a young guy with an Evil Black Rifle.

i dunno about those NY laws. seems like smoke and mirrors to me.

i drive through NYC down to long island and i bring my AR to the nassau county police department's range, walk in, show my MA driver's license, pay a few bucks, and shoot. not a peep from a single RSO. the guy at the window will offer you some targets.

as long as you have 10-round mags and you're not in suffolk county, you're probably getting in unharassed just about anywhere.

the only thing you have to deal with is a few cops staring at you kind of hard once you're out on a line. especially if you're a young guy with an Evil Black Rifle.

Holy thread resurrection Batman! [smile]
There is no permit for long guns in NY. Nor is there a prohibition on non-residents on possession. Bring a handgun and you will notice a very different reaction.

Holy thread resurrection indeed!

i dunno about those NY laws. seems like smoke and mirrors to me...[SNIP]...i drive through NYC down to long island...[SNIP]...as long as you have 10-round mags and you're not in suffolk county, you're probably getting in unharassed just about anywhere.

Ahem - just make sure you don't detain yourself in the PRNYC...it's one of the few places in the US with licensing & registration of all long guns, and one of a few municipalities in NYS with its own, tighter AWB. I can't remember the non-resident safe passage section of the NYC Admin Code, but I think you're allowed 24 hours within the city limits.

Also, I would have thought that Suffolk County was more relaxed/less restrictive than Nassau....

No state to date has made any charges based on anyone properly possessing a handgun under the LEOSA.

not too long ago, NYPD arrested a PA constable who was in NYC executing an arrest warrant.

he was covered by LEOSA, but that wasn't determined until the judge presiding over the case agreed that the guy was a legit PA "peace officer."

Len,

Thanks for starting this thread, you and I met at one of Rick's instructor classes.

This is the kind of information that I find very informative and Educational as well as all the comments obviously from a
very experienced group.

Keep sharing the great info everyone.

Rick

Rick,

Since you resurrected this old thread, I'll add "new information".

It turns out that essentially NO Non-Residents w/o a LTC can bring handguns or large-capacity long guns legally into MA for any reason.

MGL C. 140 S. 131G has an exemption for some purposes, HOWEVER to qualify for said exemption, the state you live in has to NEVER issue permits to anyone EVER convicted of any drug offense. According to the prior Director of FRB, he claims that no state's permits meet this requirement. I KNOW that NH, ME, FL, PA all have a forgiveness after x amount of time and will issue permits to those previously convicted of misdemeanor possession of marijuana. I can't speak for every state, but it looks like he may well be correct in his evaluation of this situation.

Just a synopsis of what's going in CT post Sandy Hook, since I get asked a lot.

1) Handguns (revolvers and pistols with a magwell in the grip) can be brought into the state for formal pistol and revolver training, provided you have a carry permit from your home state. They have to be transported unloaded and in a locked case in the trunk. Travel must be direct between hotel/home and training facility.

2) Handguns can't have threaded barrels, unless the handguns were lawfully registered as "assault weapons" pursuant to SB 1160.

3) All magazines (rifle and pistol) have to be 10 rounds or less, unless they have been registered pursuant to SB 1160. Off-duty LEO's covered under LEOSA 2004 have to comply with this (but probably wont catch any grief from other LE's). Exemption: FFL's, active duty military and on duty LE.

4) It is unlawful for a private citizen to import an "assault weapon" AND/OR ASSAULT WEAPON PARTS into the state unless it was registered pursuant to SB 1160. This is basically all black rifles (even in postban configuration). Exemptions apply to FFL's, active duty military, and to a certain extent LEO's.

5) When in state, non-residents can no longer purchase ammunition or even ten round magazines without one of the following CT issued permits: 1) pistol permit, 2) rifle permit, 3) ammunition eligibility certificate. These permits are issued by CT DPS to non-residents (just apply for the pistol permit, our "CCW.").

So to recap, for non-residents:

1) Handguns (revolvers and pistols with a magwell in the grip) are fine if you have a home state CCW, no threaded barrels. Unloaded, locked in box, in trunk, direct trip from hotel to range and back (no stopping).
2) 10 roung mags only (this applies to both rifle and pistol)
3) Do not bring black rifles AND/OR ANY PARTS into the state
4) Bring your 10 round mags and ammo with you as you won't be able to buy them.

If you travel into CT a lot, do yourself a favor, apply for a CT pistol permit. In practice, CT is shall-issue. All that's required is a clean background , proof of training, and a state CCW (doesn't have to be your home state). A lot of folks from NJ, for example, get CT pistol permits using UT non-resident. Max turnaround time is 8 weeks. Some folks in NY have gotten theirs in 3.

http://www.ct.gov/despp/cwp/view.asp?A=4213&Q=530224

Non-Resident Application for Pistol Permit; Call for a complete packet which includes fingerprint card at 860-685-8290.

CT off-limits places include schools (as defined, K-12) unless you have the permission of the principal, wherever signs are conspicuously posted, courthouses, and while bow hunting.

While bars are not off-limits by statute, it is a crime to be in possession of any loaded firearm if "the ratio of alcohol in the blood of such person is ten-hundredths of one per cent or more of alcohol, by weight."

Open carry is legal in CT, provided you have a valid CT pistol permit.

ETA:

Regarding Bradley International Airport (BDL):

I have had no issues flying out of BDL with firearms (evil black rifles, pistols, mags) so long as TSA was inspecting the guns at check-in.

If a CT state trooper is standing watch, HE WILL INSPECT YOUR STUFF FOR COMPLIANCE.

Take note.

Last edited:
Vermont:

Can a resident from another state bring a large capacity ammunition device to Vermont?
Until July 1, 2019, a nonresident is permitted to bring a large capacity ammunition device into Vermont provided such device is lawfully possessed by the nonresident and is to be used exclusively in an established shooting competition in Vermont. After July 1, 2019, this exception is eliminated.
New Vermont Gun Laws FAQs | Department of Public Safety

Back
Top Bottom