• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Training at SigSauer Academy

Just came off a long day up in Epping, NH at SigSauer Academy on their "Intermediate Handgun Techniques" class - a full day on the range.

Strongly recommend, though not for "beginners" - make sure you have learned and practiced all the basics of safety, trigger control. Some in the group did not have any handgun license, or own a handgun and were just moving from class to class, which I think showed, i.e. should be able to change mags, decock, tap-rack etc, with eyes closed.

BIG focus on safety, certainly won't have anyone taking pictures of you downrange [grin]

To me, class focused on accuracy first then adding movement and speed. Lot of drawing on threat, including from left, right and behind you. Constantly being yelled MOVE when not shooting, this is not a target plinking class. We had to put 1+ dummy rounds into every mag.

Moved to firing from different positions including squatting and kneeling. Towards the end of the day (all very tired) we moved out to 25-30yds, shooting on steel targets, again drawing, moving.

So far best class I've attended, I think I'll do the 2 day concealed carry class in the fall. It was $195 for 8 hours of excellent instruction - delay buying that next handgun by a month, and go get some training !

Oh, SigSauer cap to take home, and free rental of any of Sig's handguns!!

-Tim

img00067-20090713-1405-medium.jpg

Last edited:
I took my basic handgun class at Sig and thought it was a fantastic class. The instructors, Linda Harris (George's wife) and Dylan Kenneson, were extremely knowledgeable, patient, and authoritative when needed without being overbearing. The took time to put the more nervous students at ease without forgetting about those of us that knew more about what we were doing, which I knew is a difficult task based on a bit of training I have given.

Other instructors that I had casual encounters with were very friendly as well. During our lunch break I watched a bit of the intermediate handgun class and was impressed with the way the instructor kept everyone moving. I drooled a bit at the armory, and I picked up a Sigtac pocket knife at a great price from the small store they have there.

The class had students from NH, MA, ME, and even NJ and everyone agreed that it was well worth the trip.

In general, I can't recommend Sig Academy highly enough and I'm looking forward to going back for more classes when my budget allows.

Nope, Todd Horn, ex-NH LEO, he did my Basic Handgun class as well back in May. He's excellent, though a dry sense of humor which not everyone got. I have no other instructors to compare, but he's very into getting us to think tactically e.g. "search & breathe" and moving while fixing problems, mag changes etc.

I've taken 2 pistol classes at Sig Academy, the most recent being Intermediate Handgun a few months ago. Great course, taught be excellent instructors.

Both of my classes were taught by Rance Deware with Dylan Kenneson as his assistant. Besides being extremely knowledgeable, they're teaching method was great. It's amazing to see what GOOD shooters can do to a target. [grin]

BTW, to answer a previous question, you may use your own handgun for the course, but I think it must be pistol (vs. revolver) 9mm or larger. Frangible ammo is also required, but you can buy it there.

Last edited:
Yep - I brought my own Sig 229 in 9mm, a couple of others brought their own (including a nice HK USP 40), but maybe 8 out of the class of 12 used rental pistols - mainly 226 & 229 in 40cal (they were short of 9mm ammo to buy)

Some in the group did not have any handgun license

Just a comment - don't need a license in NH, so that means nothing.

When I took the beginner class (very good by the way), we were encouraged to take the next class as soon as possible so we would still remember the stuff from the first class. I didn't even have a gun at the time, so if I had done so, I guess I would have been in the same boat as some of those people and would have been holding you up.

Yep, you're right, you don't need a license to take training there, however they will be a background check if you don't.

My point was (IMO) that for an intermediate '103' class , especially as some had completed the beginners '102' class the day before, there has to be some level of familiarity with handling a handgun, i.e. changing mags, tap/rack drills etc which I don't think you can ingrain in muscle memory in 2x 4hour sessions. You need some range time with your own handgun. YMMV.

Absolutely take the Handgun 101 & 102 classes at any time.

-Tim

Nope, Todd Horn, ex-NH LEO, he did my Basic Handgun class as well back in May. He's excellent, though a dry sense of humor which not everyone got. I have no other instructors to compare, but he's very into getting us to think tactically e.g. "search & breathe" and moving while fixing problems, mag changes etc.

Todd is the best instructor that i've had so far!

Just came off a long day up in Epping, NH at SigSauer Academy on their "Intermediate Handgun Techniques" class - a full day on the range.

Strongly recommend, though not for "beginners" - make sure you have learned and practiced all the basics of safety, trigger control. Some in the group did not have any handgun license, or own a handgun and were just moving from class to class, which I think showed, i.e. should be able to change mags, decock, tap-rack etc, with eyes closed.

BIG focus on safety, certainly won't have anyone taking pictures of you downrange [grin]

To me, class focused on accuracy first then adding movement and speed. Lot of drawing on threat, including from left, right and behind you. Constantly being yelled MOVE when not shooting, this is not a target plinking class. We had to put 1+ dummy rounds into every mag.

Moved to firing from different positions including squatting and kneeling. Towards the end of the day (all very tired) we moved out to 25-30yds, shooting on steel targets, again drawing, moving.

So far best class I've attended, I think I'll do the 2 day concealed carry class in the fall. It was $195 for 8 hours of excellent instruction - delay buying that next handgun by a month, and go get some training !

Oh, SigSauer cap to take home, and free rental of any of Sig's handguns!!

-Tim

img00067-20090713-1405-medium.jpg

very interested do you have anymore info on the class ?...scenrio shooting etc. ?

I would say Sig 102 & 103 are not scenario shooting - they are very much installing the basics (up to turning then drawing).

The concealed class and defensive pistol build on this - by drawing & firing while sitting for example. We did some extreme close range shooting (i.e. hit the person/target first with left fist while drawing and firing from hip)

I'm looking forward to Adv concealed carry where they do some simunition work, so assume that will be more around scenarios

Tim.

Sig Academy Kudos

Highly recommended!

I took 102,103 and the 2day Defensive Pistol.
It has left me wanting more but I'm a couple of hours away.
(Spent the night at the Exeter Inn in the snow storm a couple of months
ago while in the 2 day DP)

Todd Horn, Rance and "TJ" .. all super - - while driving you out of your
comfort zone.. <G>
Money well spent!

Bob Flumere
[email protected]

I took three of there Instructor courses there, they were top notch classes, taught by a top notch Instructor.... The personal protection Instructor course was awesome, some of the the students in the class should hav back through the basic safety course again and again....

~Drew

How much is thier ammo you have to buy there?

You don't have to buy it there, you can bring your own as long as it's that lead-free frangible crap. That said, they sell it cheaper than anywhere I've ever seen it (if you can find it.)

EDIT: Frangible only applies to the indoor range. You can shoot regular stuff outside as far as I know.

Last edited:
I took my first handgun class there and also had Todd as an instructor. It was a great experience and I can't wait to go back!

I know this thread has been quiet for 5 months, but for future reference:

How much is thier ammo you have to buy there?

Box of 50 rounds of 9mm is $21
Box of 50 rounds of .45 is $28
Box of 20 rounds of .223 is ~$22
Box of 5 rounds of 12ga 00 buckshot is $7

All ammo is frangible.
I don't remember the other prices off the top of my head. Prices as of 8/9/10.

Took some courses up in sig saur in 2006 and Todd was one of the instructors. Great guy and fantastic instructor.

Took Red Dot 102 this week. Instructor was Colin Murphy. Great course for anyone moving to Red Dots.

Here he is instructing Colin Noir. We ran through these same drills and others for the day.

Back
Top Bottom