• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Training Advice P229 (help...)

Sounds like you are making progress. That is good. 9MM makes a difference. I use a BarSto conversion barrel. If you ever want to try 357SIG or a 226, let me know. It can be arranged with a trip to Cape Cod :) The difference between a 229 and a 226 is huge and I actually prefer the 226.

Keep practicing and if you need 9MM mags, the 226 mags using an X grip adapter work great

I too have a Bar Sto 9mm barrel for my .40 P229. I've never had a malfunction using it, and with .40 mags and recoil spring. I love it.

Sounds like you are making progress. That is good. 9MM makes a difference. I use a BarSto conversion barrel. If you ever want to try 357SIG or a 226, let me know. It can be arranged with a trip to Cape Cod :) The difference between a 229 and a 226 is huge and I actually prefer the 226.

Keep practicing and if you need 9MM mags, the 226 mags using an X grip adapter work great

TY43215,

Thank you very much for the offer, I may take you up on that! I did shoot the 229 in .375 and damn... If memory serves me, the 226 is full-size.
That is great to know that the 229 accepts the 226!

I have two photos I would like to share which are targets from the past weekend, I have tried to upload photos but it wants me to use a URL and I cannot upload them directly from my computer - help?
One of the targets I shot twice and noted my trigger finger and continued to adjust my trigger finger until I found something that works consistently. After finding the "sweet-spot" I shot thirty (30) rounds into and I am very happy with the outcome. Until I figure out how to attach photos this might be [pics]. (<- too funny)

Until I figure out how to attach photos this might be [pics]. (<- too funny)

This is easy. Go to Photobucket.com and open up a free account. Once done you can upload your photos to this hosting site. Very easy as you can just click on a picture in your files and drag it into photobucket and it automatically uploads. Once it's in Photobucket you will see a number of options under the picture. One of those options will be "Direct". Copy that link and come back to NES.

In the quick reply, or even in advanced, there is a task bar above where you write your comments. In the far right side of that task bar you will see a globe, an envelop, another globed that's greyed out, and then what looks like a picture. You select the picture, which will pop up a screen. In that screen select "by URL" and past your link into the line that appears and hit OK. Just post your reply and the picture will show up.

Good luck with the shooting. Also, I own a 229 in 40 S&W as well. It's a great gun and I have a Barsto 9mm Conversion bbl and 357 Sig bbl for it as well. Overall I prefer the 9mm, but each shoots just as well. Plus the same mag will reliably feed all three calibers. Can't go wrong with a three caliber gun!!!

This is easy. Go to Photobucket.com and open up a free account. Once done you can upload your photos to this hosting site. Very easy as you can just click on a picture in your files and drag it into photobucket and it automatically uploads. Once it's in Photobucket you will see a number of options under the picture. One of those options will be "Direct". Copy that link and come back to NES.

In the quick reply, or even in advanced, there is a task bar above where you write your comments. In the far right side of that task bar you will see a globe, an envelop, another globed that's greyed out, and then what looks like a picture. You select the picture, which will pop up a screen. In that screen select "by URL" and past your link into the line that appears and hit OK. Just post your reply and the picture will show up.

Good luck with the shooting. Also, I own a 229 in 40 S&W as well. It's a great gun and I have a Barsto 9mm Conversion bbl and 357 Sig bbl for it as well. Overall I prefer the 9mm, but each shoots just as well. Plus the same mag will reliably feed all three calibers. Can't go wrong with a three caliber gun!!!

Thank you very much! I figured the old Photobucket days were gone...

Hi again!
As promised, photos are below with some small details. P229 with 9mm slide.

I have about 1,750 - 2,000 rounds down range at this point.
I did a drill which consisted of two rounds then adjusted my trigger finger. I did mark the target with a pen every two shots. after approximately a dozen shots I have found that I am more consistent and accurate with more trigger finger close to the knuckle. The target has some notes on it which may not make sense but they were reminders for me at the time. 7 yards.

This target consists of about 15 - 20 rounds at 7 yards. I think this is much better than I have started, I have been using the techniques I learned from videos everyone has posted here (Thank you by the way), and directions from the firearms instructor.

Last edited:
The only caveat I would add is invest a bit more time focusing on your grip. In my experience fixing shooters, a path of least resistance in your grip is a bigger problem than where you put your finger.

This past weekend I did focus more on grip but then realized I became sloppy with my trigger finger. This week I will remind myself to focus on both and post the targets. The range is down the road for me and I always start with five rounds. If I hit the targets head with the first five rounds I usually will call it a day but if two of five do not hit I will spend the time dialing back in. Usually during the weekend is when my friends and I put 100-150 rounds down range.

This is very true, but do you believe there will be this much of a spread at 7 yards?

Depending on the ammo, it might account for as much as in inch. The only real way to tell is to strap that sucker into a rest.

Looking at your target, I would say you are shooting better than 90% of my local Police department.... LOL

Depending on the ammo, it might account for as much as in inch. The only real way to tell is to strap that sucker into a rest.

Looking at your target, I would say you are shooting better than 90% of my local Police department.... LOL

LOL - Thank You fencer, I will post a couple of new targets Friday evening and we will see about consistency...

Ken

This past Friday I went to the range for a bit and only put down 35-45 rounds. The photo below is the first rounds of the day approximately 14 rounds at 10 yards. B-29 Police Target.

After the warm I decided to stagger two targets, one at 7 yards and another to the right at 10 yards. The exercise is two at 7 yards and then two at 10 yards and vice-versa then two at 10 yards and two at 50 feet; this was just to mix up the basic target practice which I find boring sometimes. I was pleased to see that I was hitting center mass even at 50' with the B-29 Police targets.

Cannot wait for summer time because outdoor steel is fun!

This past Friday I went to the range for a bit and only put down 35-45 rounds. The photo below is the first rounds of the day approximately 14 rounds at 10 yards. B-29 Police Target.

After the warm I decided to stagger two targets, one at 7 yards and another to the right at 10 yards. The exercise is two at 7 yards and then two at 10 yards and vice-versa then two at 10 yards and two at 50 feet; this was just to mix up the basic target practice which I find boring sometimes. I was pleased to see that I was hitting center mass even at 50' with the B-29 Police targets.

Cannot wait for summer time because outdoor steel is fun!

Excellent shooting for 50'!

There's nothing better than shooting steel imo.

Hi Everyone,

I did some thinking on the advice of shooting at a greater distance. Last night I started at 10 yards and started making my way closer. After three or four sets of 5 rounds I moved to 7 yards and below are the results.
It seems like if I concentrate at the grater distance then move closer the grouping is tighter. If I can do this consistently, I'd be happy. FYI shooting at static paper is boring...

This was with a Sig P320 and Magtech 9mm junk rounds.

Back
Top Bottom