• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Trained Snipers vs Camp Perry types

http://armyreservemarksman.info/2012/12/14/shooting-skill-snipers-vs-competition-shooters/

According to their tests, the standard deviation of aiming error for the best, formally-trained operational snipers was three times worse than tested High Power and Long Range competition shooters sufficiently skilled to compete successfully in national level match competition at Camp Perry and the like.

In fact, the worst competition shooters tested were as good or better than the best snipers in basic holding and shooting fundamentals.
http://www.arl.army.mil/arlreports/1999/ARL-TR-2065.pdf

...But low-crawling for hundreds of yards, and living in a hide for a couple of days is not part of the Camp Perry routine......

Also, some of the competition shooters might have included the AMU guys, who are crazy good.

Having shot a little (emphasis, very little) Service Rifle, that is all done at known distances. I knew my come ups for 200, 300, and 600 yards. My targets didn't move. My targets had great contrast. And I always knew the distance to my target.

I suspect that targets on a two way range are not quite so accommodating.

Hathcock was pretty good at Perry. The USMC snipers I shot with were pretty good when shooting prone, standing however was a different story for some. Not sure what the course of fire was for this "test".

Another thing to consider is long range competition shooters are making wind/mirage calls on their own all the time. A sniper team has two sets of eyes and calls are usually made by consensus of the two man team. IMO the hardest thing about shooting past 500 meters is staying on top of the wind. If you're good at estimating wind on your own you'll be more accurate.

Another thing to consider is long range competition shooters are making wind/mirage calls on their own all the time. A sniper team has two sets of eyes and calls are usually made by consensus of the two man team. IMO the hardest thing about shooting past 500 meters is staying on top of the wind. If you're good at estimating wind on your own you'll be more accurate.

My experience and expertise in matches is obviously much less than yours. I did shoot a few across the course matches at Reading, where the wind wasn't that bad. Then I shot a match at Ft. Devens (Golf range, IIRC) on a windy day. I missed a wind shift and went from 10s to a 7 at 3 o'clock. I imagine it is even harder at Camp Perry.

The best thing about 99% of the guys shooting matches at Perry is they know better than to buy into stuff like this. One way range with known distance shots on stationary targets with no chance of return fire. There's a big difference between dropping an X and ending up dead or tortured.

I only ever shot at Nashua. I suck, but that place was like a big indoor range every time I shot it.... Which of course meant I only had myself to blame for the 7's and 8's

Like it or not, bullseye a la Camp Perry is a game. Those who learn the rules and the course of fire will do very well; a bad day is a poor score. Our military snipers face a game with no rules (except BS rules of engagement that make their job even more dangerous), unknown courses of fire that change unexpectedly and can be extremely physically demanding, and targets that shoot back. Their "bad day" is very often their last day.

It's two totally different things: position shooting at known distance, and what military snipers do.

Take the top Olympic Trap shooter and the top Bullseye pistol shooter and then ask "Who's the better shooter?". Can't be answered.

Back
Top Bottom