• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Traimboss reduced loads for rifle. anyone have any experience here.

mac1911

NES Member
I have been casting for my rifles and useing 2400,reddot, unique and h4895 for reduced velocity and recoil. Really makes shooting the larger cals fun to shoot for range blasting. Cost effective also.
I was wondering if any one has used TrailBoss with jacketed bullets for the 30 Cal family of cartridges.
I like the bulkiness of trailboss and my mind seems to think the volume taking up the space in the case "should" help with accuracy.
My plan is to develop a decent target load out to 200 yards with both cast and fmj bullets.
mainly to be used in 762x54r and 8mm Mauser.

I use trail boss in reduced loads for my century old win 94s and Enfields . They are real cream puffs and are safe in the older guns. You can use jacket bullets with the reduced trail boss loads.

To find the starting load
Take a sized case and seat a bullet to your seating depth making a dummy round.
Next measure one of the bullets you will be using
Take the measurement and Mark the dummy round from the bullet tip.
This Mark represents the bottom of the seated bullet.
Pull the bullet from the dummy round
Fill the case to the mark and then weigh the powder
The starting load is 70% of the weighed powder

For old blackpowder calibers I was told by IMR to start at 50% and use 75% as a max. load. I tried it in .45/60 and .45/70 and the accuracy was awful. For cast bullets in .38/55 I use IMR4227. In all other cast bullet rifle loads, both straight and bottlenecked I use 5744 or SR4759.

Finally got a lb to play with. Used it in both my Mauser and 54r reloads. Did well enough to persue a bit more. Very pleasant to shoot.

Back
Top Bottom