trailer hitch receiver size...

xjma99

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They only rust in place if you leave them in.

Bob
Yeah, but it helps me not lose it, and the the 2” ball gets used a lot! I really need to cut that 1 7/8 off the boat trailer and swap it to 2”! The hitches on the ATVs and side by never rust in, but they don’t go on the road nearly as often as the truck....

grey

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Theres rumors of people getting tickets for leaving them in and not being used. Not enforced often but can be ticketable

Reactions: TLB
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theres rumors of people getting tickets for leaving them in and not being used. Not enforced often but can be ticketable
Sucks to walk around the back of someone's truck and whack a shin (or a noggin!) while trying to work on it.

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I'm looking at a trailer hitch. The two reasonable options are both class-I (2,000 towing, 200 tongue weight) but one has a 1-1/4" drawbar, the other a 2".

Why would I want one over the other? Is there any advantage to the larger 2" drawbar?
1-1/4" are for priuses
This^

2" used to be most common, most new 2500 and 3500 trucks have 2.5" or 3" hitches now.
Go with the 2" if you can. 1 1/4 stuff is harder to find.
This^

I had a 1-1/4" on a 1990 Thunderbird, only because they didn't make a 2" for that car.
I never really felt safe with it, didn't look beefy enough, but there were no other readily available options.

I'm confused now... I thought the thing you stuffed into the receiver had a hole in it where you mounted the ball. You could put a 1-7/8" or 2" or 2-1/4" or whatever.

Are the mounting holes for the ball in the drawbar different sizes depending on the receiver size?
Yes. Hitch Balls come in three standard diameters (1-7/8", 2" & 2-5/16", with 2" being the most common, and two different shank sizes of 3/4" and 1".

1-1/4" drawbars only come with a 3/4" ball mounting hole, 2" receiver drawbars are available with either a 3/4" or 1" hole. I use the 1" myself.
I also have separate drawbars with balls mounted for all three sizes, but my own trailers are all 2"

Do yourself a favor and remove the hitch when not needed. One bruised shin and you will wished you did.
This^
I always take mine out when I'm done towing the trailer, then I install my nifty receiver cover with the bottle opener.

This^
It's true, at least in Mass, not sure about NH.
Technically you can be rejected at sticker time if you don't take it off, but again, it's not enforced unless a cop bangs his shins on it.

milktree

NES Member
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
you shouldn't be that close to my truck to whack your shins on my trailer hitch
Do you never park in a parking lot, or in the city?

If you only ever park in your own driveway, you'd have a point. But parallel parking makes "walking near your truck" pretty reasonable.

wjsmall97

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to stay out of the city. I can see if you are working on it, but other than that, you don't need to be that close.

milktree

NES Member
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I try to stay out of the city.
That's fair. But when you're around other people and parking near other cars, it's not reasonable to expect that everybody will stay away from your truck.

I can see if you are working on it, but other than that, you don't need to be that close.
Except that you do, if you need to get from the sidewalk to the street so you can get in your own car.

Or you're walking between parked cars in a lot so you don't have to walk in the traffic.

wjsmall97

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's fair. But when you're around other people and parking near other cars, it's not reasonable to expect that everybody will stay away from your truck.

Except that you do, if you need to get from the sidewalk to the street so you can get in your own car.

Or you're walking between parked cars in a lot so you don't have to walk in the traffic.
Obviously, you are parking along side streets, I park either in my driveway or if I am out with the truck I am parking in
a parking lot either nose in or backing in, if you are walking between vehicles, not smart to many people are either dead or
severely injured by someone putting vehicle in wrong gear and crushing them.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen a lot of pick up trucks where they leave the ball (usually the size of a wrecking ball) in and it sticks out like a foot from the bumper. They do it to help those behind them with brake issues come to a complete stop.

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have seen a lot of pick up trucks where they leave the ball (usually the size of a wrecking ball) in and it sticks out like a foot from the bumper. They do it to help those behind them with brake issues come to a complete stop.
Mine is so stuck it doesn't even need the hitch pin anymore.

Anyway the trailer it usually pulls uses a pintle.

one-eyed Jack

Manufacturer
Dealer
NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Mine is so stuck it doesn't even need the hitch pin anymore.

Anyway the trailer it usually pulls uses a pintle.
I had one stuck once. I sprayed lots of penetrating oil in there, hooked up the trailer and drove around on rough roads for a while. It loosened. Jack.

hbar26

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I take out my ball hitches and put one of these in, protects my bumper from"distracted" drivers and doesn't stick out as much.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
This is actually a great idea that I should try to follow. Every time I have to swap over to 1 7/8” ball in my truck it takes 15 minutes of me laying on the ground with a 3.5# sledge hammer beating the f*** out of the thing.
Feel you. The 4r we bought 6 years ago came to us with a rusted in tow hitch with a shitty 1 7/8 ball rusted into it. And the 2011 tundra we bought last year had a slightly better 2" ball on a receiver hitch rusted onto it.

I don't understand how anyone slides stuff into those without dabbing on some grease. It's like going mountain biking without a seat on the bike or something.

Top Bottom