trailer hitch receiver size...

milktree

NES Member
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I'm looking at a trailer hitch. The two reasonable options are both class-I (2,000 towing, 200 tongue weight) but one has a 1-1/4" drawbar, the other a 2".

Why would I want one over the other? Is there any advantage to the larger 2" drawbar?

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
It's just more common, easier to find. Strength difference won't matter since the drawbar is not the limiting factor, the hitch itself is.

I have a 1-1/4 on my Saab wagon, and a 2" on my SUV, and I use both to tow my 1,000 lb utility trailer with a 7/8" ball and coupler. With the 2" drawbar, the SUV can step up to a 2" ball and tow up to a 5,000 lb boat and trailer.

You can find a 1-1/4 drawbar that takes a 2" ball as well, and then can hook up trailers with 2" couplers, as long as those trailers and loads do not exceed your class 1 weight rating.

Last edited:

xjma99

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy the one that fits your truck. There is also a 2 and 7/8 or so size.

then you need the proper, or approximate drop or lift for the bar. Then the proper size ball!!

I have a collection of em as I have three trailers, one of which has a 1 7/8 hitch welded on, the other two fit 2” ball.

then there are trucks with 2” receivers and ATVs with 1.25 and 2” receivers. It’s a f***ing shit show.

moojpg2

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
2" used to be most common, most new 2500 and 3500 trucks have 2.5" or 3" hitches now.
Go with the 2" if you can. 1 1/4 stuff is harder to find.

milktree

NES Member
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
OK, to be clear, 'cuz there appears to be some confusion:

I mean 1-1/4" or 2" receiver/draw-bar. *NOT* the ball itself. This bit:

receiver_size.jpg

My trailer has a 2" ball (because my old hitch was a Euro 50mm ball)

New car, so new hitch.

I thought 1-1/4" receivers were pretty common, but I've only had to think about this problem once before, so I might be full of it.

TrashcanDan

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'm looking at a trailer hitch. The two reasonable options are both class-I (2,000 towing, 200 tongue weight) but one has a 1-1/4" drawbar, the other a 2".

Why would I want one over the other? Is there any advantage to the larger 2" drawbar?
No other advantage other than being able to swap out draw bars if you have multiple hitches.
2" you'll see more on the commercial end. If your're not towing #10,000 or more, then its a non-issue.

milktree

NES Member
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
It's just more common, easier to find. Strength difference won't matter since the drawbar is not the limiting factor, the hitch itself is.

I have a 1-1/4 on my Saab wagon, and a 2" on my SUV, and I use both to tow my 1,000 lb utility trailer with a 7/8" ball and coupler. With the 2" drawbar, the SUV can step up to a 2" ball and tow up to a 5,000 lb boat and trailer.

You can find a 1-1/4 drawbar that takes a 2" ball as well, and then can hook up trailers with 2" couplers, as long as those trailers and loads do not exceed your class 1 weight rating.
I'm confused now... I thought the thing you stuffed into the receiver had a hole in it where you mounted the ball. You could put a 1-7/8" or 2" or 2-1/4" or whatever.

Are the mounting holes for the ball in the drawbar different sizes depending on the receiver size?

Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Thre are other things, besides trailer drawbars, that you can put into a receiver hitch. Bike racks and cargo carriers, for example, and they are typically 2". I had a 1 1/4" hitch on a car once, and I had to use an adapter to put my bike carrier on it. If given a choice, I'd go with a 2" receiver even if I only needed to tow 500 pounds.

Engineer

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
You’re right as far as ball size. Can use a range to match the trailer side.
BUT. Not all attachments are ball hitches. I use mine for luggage platform and bike rack etc. as an earlier reply pointed out. These other attachments are more commonly avail in 2” that fits into the square receiver. Even with ball hitch. There are more 2” that slide in to the receiver and support the ball(s) ( some have different sizes top,bottom and side)or provide step down to lower trailer hitch levels....

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I'm confused now... I thought the thing you stuffed into the receiver had a hole in it where you mounted the ball. You could put a 1-7/8" or 2" or 2-1/4" or whatever.

Are the mounting holes for the ball in the drawbar different sizes depending on the receiver size?
Pretty much everything is mix and match. The shank size varies too! Problem is the weird combos are hard to find if you need them.

Last edited:

xjma99

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go 2" and grease the thing up good to prevent "Rust in place". Jack.
This is actually a great idea that I should try to follow. Every time I have to swap over to 1 7/8” ball in my truck it takes 15 minutes of me laying on the ground with a 3.5# sledge hammer beating the f*** out of the thing.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Funny you mention hitches. Gawd damned hitch fell off the ball this morning. It all looked fine when i hooked it up, safety pin engaged, but there must have been ice in it or something. Going down hill, stopped at a stop sign, heard a grinding noise. Slowly accelerated, and kabloom

Felt like a schmuck jacking the trailer up in traffic to reattach the hitch

RumRunner

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Funny you mention hitches. Gawd damned hitch fell off the ball this morning. It all looked fine when i hooked it up, safety pin engaged, but there must have been ice in it or something. Going down hill, stopped at a stop sign, heard a grinding noise. Slowly accelerated, and kabloom

Felt like a schmuck jacking the trailer up in traffic to reattach the hitch
I've always crossed my safety chains so if the trailer pops off the hitch, the tongue will sit on the chains. Has only happened a couple of times in many many years, but was glad it never hit the ground while I was moving. Also was just on small boat and a utility trailer, so nothing too heavy that would snap the chains either.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
This is actually a great idea that I should try to follow. Every time I have to swap over to 1 7/8” ball in my truck it takes 15 minutes of me laying on the ground with a 3.5# sledge hammer beating the f*** out of the thing.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always jump up and down on the trailer at the hitch after I attach the trailer just to make sure everything is OK.
In the 60's I had a stock car pass me while still on the trailer when I turned into the lot at the old Norwood race track.
Old friends still kid me about it!

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I always jump up and down on the trailer at the hitch after I attach the trailer just to make sure everything is OK.
In the 60's I had a stock car pass me while still on the trailer when I turned into the lot at the old Norwood race track.
Old friends still kid me about it!
Yeah, it was cold, i was rushing it. Should have jumped on it. The odd thing, if it is misaligned normally the latch will not close and it can not get the safety pin in, but this time it snapped shut, like it was aligned properly. Good thing i was only going 10 mph when it happened.

I am going to fabricate a wooden gap gauge, to use to make sure the gap is correct, and it is not hung up. My eyeballs are obviously no longer good enough to tell. It probably would not hurt if i greased the shit out of it too!

Top Bottom