• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Trail cams?

Hi all. I'm looking to pick up a trail cam. It's going in my back yard so not too worried about it getting jacked. I'm leaning towards the Browning Spec Ops but I don't like the fact that it's only effectively 2MP. Any input? Would like to get good pictures, don't need to worry about things like battery life. Need a good 50ft+ of range. I've been using the TrailCamPro website to help make a decision.

Thanks!

Watching this for inputs as well.

Night capability is a need. No LED to give away the camera is a plus (I can install tape if needed).

there is a good forum at www.chasingame.com

I have several of the DLC Covert MP6 with both the visible red intrared leds and the "black led" version. they were in the $120 range to start. both take really good pictures and video. that model for 2014 is now named the MP8 since the max resolution is 8m pixels. there are settings for 3 and 5 mp as well. the video on this model is low end.

I got a Moultrie M-990i 10 MP stills , HD video w/sound, 70 foot no-glow nighttime IR. Built in viewer with live view aiming. Pretty cool to much to list. Cost around $150 ish. I use it to keep an eye on the house mostly.

Last year I got the Reconyx HC600 from TrailCamPro. It produces superb images at 50+ feet with super fast trigger time. As mentioned previously, you may want to consider a 'no-glow' unit. For me, the fact that it is made in the USA and not China / Taiwan was important. I can PM both day and night images if you are interested, but I think their site has some samples.
You mentioned that you're not worried about security or battery life, but you may want to keep your options open incase you decide to use it otherwise.

I've had a Moultrie game spy for 3 years and have no complaints.
The thing has taken thousands of pics , day and night. no problems.

A lot of good cameras are available. I have a couple Wildgame cameras, 1 is IR and 1 is a blackout. I have some more expensive ones strictly for hunting. You probably don't need anything too crazy for your backyard. IR cameras are fine, I've got pictures of just about everything in MA without scaring them away. Blackout cameras are coming down in price tho as they become more common

I wanted a lot of cameras so i opted to go the inexpensive route. I have several Mountrie A5 cameras. They don't take the greatest pictures. But they get the job done. Only complaint is I seem to get a lot of pictures with nothing in them. False positives I guess.

I've got a Bushnell with 'black" LEDs. Best part about it, the batteries (12 AA) last forever, compared to the cheaper cams I've used. I like that it can be used as a "plot watcher," too. I usually don't get any tail shots with it, where the animal passes before the camera can react. Had an issue with inexpensive SD cards in sub-freezing temps. Switched the memory cards out for quality SanDisk SD cards, and no more problems. The black LEDs are nice, too. Less spooky to game, but BW night photos/video.

I'd take a cam with a quicker trigger over a cam with HD video though.

I really like the Moultrie 990i's. I ran four of them last year and had great luck. This year I purchased another four 990i's and two of the new panoramic 150i's. Verdict is still out on the 150i's. I'm having issues with varying degrees of underexposure between the three pictures it stitches together on both cameras. The 990i however is solid.

Fitz

These are selling on Amazonright now for $99 and free shipping.

there is a good forum at www.chasingame.com

I have several of the DLC Covert MP6 with both the visible red intrared leds and the "black led" version. they were in the $120 range to start. both take really good pictures and video. that model for 2014 is now named the MP8 since the max resolution is 8m pixels. there are settings for 3 and 5 mp as well. the video on this model is low end.

I'm looking for a camera with a cell connection to put in our driveway in NH. Where do you buy them? Any recommendations?

Bushnell has their own data plan through AT&T. What does it cost?

Last edited:
Update: I purchased the Bushnell Trophy Cam HD Max. First month data plan is free, economy plan is $9.99 per month. Also bought a lock box and cable lock.

I'd like to put it high enough so that someone standing in the bed of a pickup can't reach it. Could I aim it down a bit to still get the driveway OK?

Not a showstopper as I can put it back in the woods enough that it will be very difficult to see.

Update: I purchased the Bushnell Trophy Cam HD Max. First month data plan is free, economy plan is $9.99 per month. Also bought a lock box and cable lock.

I'd like to put it high enough so that someone standing in the bed of a pickup can't reach it. Could I aim it down a bit to still get the driveway OK?

Not a showstopper as I can put it back in the woods enough that it will be very difficult to see.

The inclination of the camera shouldn't effect its function/range, it'll just reduce the area of coverage. I'd just place it & test. I'd also put a "donor" decoy cam someplace more conspicuous, as sort of a bait for *******s. When an ******* messes with the bait, you could have the cam getting a nice, clear picture of the POS.

As this season is coming to a close - call it a first year learning experience - I've started looking at trail cams. I have been hunting the public land in RI due to my hunting partners need to hunt Sundays, but I am going to look into my own personal 5.8 acres next year here in mass. I've seen more deer at the end of my driveway coming home from hunting than I've seen all year in the field (multiple times no less).

With regard to trail cams - I thought I would ask the collective public on NES. I've narrowed the field down to three based on relative cost, reviews, features and reliability.

PlotWatcher Pro

vs.

Covert MP8 BlackIR
Primos Truth Ultra SuperCharged BlackOut

I'm under the impression that learning what deer do in the middle of the night isn't nearly as important as what they do during the day (when you can actually hunt them). I really like close up shots of deer, but in my mind that ins't as important again as seen more view of the land and where/when they are coming in and going. The public areas that we found in RI show lots and lots of traffic, but nary a deer. The land it vast too so I'm worried that using a simple trail cam will miss activity in the distance (that is unless the deer decide to take the trail close to the camera or I buy like 12 cameras). I'm leaning towards the plotwatcher (excellent battery life which will allow me to check on the camera one per month or more often if I chose, plus time lapse only with larger fov. But my partner is thinking more of the traditional trail cam.

May I ask your thoughts may be and what you might use?

I had some cheap cams, and now a Bushnell HD Max or whatever it's called. Batteries last a loooooong time, and it can be setup as a plot watcher. Bushnell calls the function "field scan," and it can be setup with one or two time periods, with variable capture rates. For motion capture, their newest cameras spec a .2 sec trigger. I plan on getting some more of them.

http://www.bushnell.com/hunting/trail-cameras/trophy-cam/trophy-cam-hd-max

"Field Scan 2x
Time-lapse technology automatically snaps images at preset intervals of one minute to one hour, within the hours of your choice. Now with two available time slots so you can monitor dusk and dawn movement. Because it’s not triggered by game, it provides the widest viewing area possible. But unlike all other time-lapse cameras, its simultaneous live trigger will still capture images of anything that walks by."

Browning BTC 3 Trail Spec Ops Camera, Camo

I purchased one of these last Christmas, and it did so well in my parent's backyard, my hunting buddy and I bought another one. Takes great pictures and video, and has great battery life, even with video and the cold temps last winter. Has a preview screen, and many features. It is actaully a Nikon camera in a browning box. I paid $120 each time at amazon.

Here is a sample night pic

Big'Un.jpg

Cameras are getting better all the time. I bought the Bushnell after hearing favorable reviews from other hunters. After spending $60-120 on comparative junk, I was pleased with the Bushnell's value. I'll be buying a couple of their latest offerings for next season.

Another thing to consider is the memory card. I lost a lot of photos/videos to corrupted SD cards when the temps dropped down to single digits. Now I only use Sandisk Ultra cards, which are freeze-proof, and have had no problems with them in sub-zero temps.

The first time I bought it it was 120, on sale from 200. Then it was back 200 till June, and it went down to 120 again. There may be a newer, better model this year.

I wold find some model ou want,mthen watch for sales.

I also had memory cards get corrupted, so get good ones

Good to know about the sales and memory cards. Will track Amazon. Thanks guys.

Last question: is a dedicated Plotwatcher with different lenses in your opinions all that much better or even different then a trail cam in plot watcher mode?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cameras are getting better all the time. I bought the Bushnell after hearing favorable reviews from other hunters. After spending $60-120 on comparative junk, I was pleased with the Bushnell's value. I'll be buying a couple of their latest offerings for next season.
Careful with some of Bushnell's models. I bought the 119445 which is the Trophy Camo model and it only lasted a few months. Think I paid $129 plus shipping from Graf's.
Think I'll be haunting Amazon looking for something American made that will last longer. Maybe the Bushnell you bought ?

I picked up a Browning Range Ops XR. Good price from Basspro before christmas I think it was 68 bucks.

Anyone have there camera's out now? if not now when do you put them out?

I picked up 2 cameras on the cheap..1 was a wild life innovations crush cam 8 mp...from dicks for 60.00 ..junk...motion sensor is not sensitive...then I got a Covert MP-E5..was 65.00 with my discount code...not really full of features but easy to set up..takes great pics...little grainy in night shots but still good pics....well worth the money...my next camera will be Browning..my b uudies have them and takes great pics an videos...I am just waiting for march or April to buy since the 2015 models will be out and the older ones will be blowouts...Onwe online vendor had the Spec ops for 119.00 but was sold out...just have to look around...keep checking for clearence ....I dont need a camera with National Geogrphic quality pics..just one that has decent day and night pics...and some features...

Back
Top Bottom