• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Trail Cameras? Help please!

Looking at adding another trail cam to my aresenal.

I tried a Wild Game Innovations and the trigger time was abysmal... 4 seconds is asinine for a deer, since i had a bunch of pictures of a deer that had been there...

Looking at HCO and Primos...

Also looking for some suggestions. Quick trigger time is essential, and nightime is a plus. I dont need video.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
I have a few WG Innovations and don't think they are too bad for the price.
Sure the trigger isn't that fast, but I set them up in feeding spots and get good pics.

If I put them on a deer trail, just gotta put it at the right angle and get them coming and going.
Like I said, for me, they work.

Good luck with your search.

I had a inexpensive, but nice, black and white trailcamera with infrared flash made by Bushnell a few years ago. I had no problems with the trigger and I got quit a few nice pics.

Since I was using the camera on public hunting land, someone ended up stealing it :-(

I would definitely get one with infrared flash since you will most likely have more activity at night if you are looking for pre season scouting (I assume you are preparing for the hunting season) when the days are warm. If you just want to know when the deer was there and don't care too much about having a high resolution color picture of it, I would recommend saving the money and buying several lower resolution cameras with infrared flash.

Anything but Stealthcam. I have a Moultrie that is crystal clear. As with a lot of things you get what you pay for.

Bushnell all the way. It has the fastest trigger and great pictures. Its worth the money. Also it will run a year on the same batteries.

Not to high jack but does anyone have any experience with these http://www.spypoint.com/EN/ ? The reason I am looking into them is to find the rat bastard who stole one of my tree stands. The plan is to put another stand in the same tree and see if he/they come back. I figure put the cam up in another tree and if he sees it and then steals it I still have backup pic storage.

Not to high jack but does anyone have any experience with these http://www.spypoint.com/EN/ ? The reason I am looking into them is to find the rat bastard who stole one of my tree stands. The plan is to put another stand in the same tree and see if he/they come back. I figure put the cam up in another tree and if he sees it and then steals it I still have backup pic storage.

Is there a general parking spot that the hunters use in that area? A pic of a dude in orange isn't going to do a lot if you don't have a license plate to go with it.

Is there a general parking spot that the hunters use in that area? A pic of a dude in orange isn't going to do a lot if you don't have a license plate to go with it.

Unfortunately there is access from a few different spots. The property is posted but nobody pays attention to the signs. I suspect it is one of the neighbors more than a hunter. If it is a hunter there is a 100% chance me or some of my friends will know him.

Unfortunately there is access from a few different spots. The property is posted but nobody pays attention to the signs. I suspect it is one of the neighbors more than a hunter. If it is a hunter there is a 100% chance me or some of my friends will know him.

Seriously? And you are hunting there and complaining about having your tree stand stolen?
Obviously I'm a nicer property owner that that. When I found a camera on my property I
left a note explaining to the armpit that if I ever found it there again, it would be in pieces
when he came to check it out. Needless to say, it was gone the next day, never to return.
The next camera or tree stand I find, regardless of who it belongs to, is history. No explanation.

(And the topper is that I have the property posted that says permission is needed. I haven't
turned down anyone yet except when there are more hunters asking than the land can carry.)

Last edited:

I tried one. The wakeup/trigger time is not great. Once it is 'up' the pictures are crystal clear. Good camera with a mediocre wake-up. If you expect game to be in an area for a bit (feed area, deer bed, etc.) it'll tell you in detail what is there. The night mode is also clear and the IR flash has insane range. But again, the wakeup is slow.

The absolute best wakeup/trigger time I found was on the Reconyx. Not the world's best camera but the first picture will show you the animal's nose, then the rest of the rapidfire pics will be like a flip book of the animal walking through the camera's zone. It's just flat out the best time-to-first-picture camera I've used. It's caught a running coyote at night.

Seriously? And you are hunting there and complaining about having your tree stand stolen?
Obviously I'm a nicer property owner that that. When I found a camera on my property I
left a note explaining to the armpit that if I ever found it there again, it would be in pieces
when he came to check it out. Needless to say, it was gone the next day, never to return.
The next camera or tree stand I find, regardless of who it belongs to, is history. No explanation.

(And the topper is that I have the property posted that says permission is needed. I haven't
turned down anyone yet except when there are more hunters asking than the land can carry.)

I have permission. What kind of guy do you think I am?

Thank you Strange for your answers. My motivation is no so much use as a game cam but to use to stake out my "bait" tree stand. I figure if the thieves see it, it will be taken as well but the remote storage will most likely not be found.

I have a couple Primos. Not too bad but my buddy has cuddybacks and that will be my next cam. The trigger speed and battery life cant be beat.

Back
Top Bottom