Trail camera thread. Post ur trail camera photos.

What is the consensus on the IR "flash" with these game cameras? On my Browning cameras I've walked by them at night and I can see the dim red lights come for the split second the pic is taken. It doesn't bother the yotes or foxes. I swear seeing my sequences of buck pics at night, as soon as I get a pic of them looking at the camera they are moving off in the next photos. I've actually moved my cameras up to around 6' elevation in the trees to hopefully avoid it next season.

I think the deer notice the change in light. They may not know where its from or see the red light, since they are noctournal/crepuscualar animals I think the amount of available light affects them somewhat.

Meaning if its pitch dark and then theres 20%-30% more illumination in that area.....they pick up on it, and end up seeing the camera as a foreign object that shouldn't be there.
As stated above the IR light as well as the "click" are a little off putting. If its the rut or a good meal is keeping them busy like my pumpkins then they don't care too much. My cameras a kinda mid tier though.

So you guys think this is a mink or baby fisher? I've swam with mink and pretty much see them face to face every time I'm in the Thousand Islands and I think it is one but this location seems like the strangest place for one.

I‘m going to go with mink based on the way it’s moving around.

Bob

Don't fox usually have a white tipped tail or just kind of rusty?
Hard to gauge size but first thing that came to mind was a very big weasel/ermine. When it gets cold, they turn white and have distinctive black tip on tail.
1641832832721.png

Don't fox usually have a white tipped tail or just kind of rusty?
Hard to gauge size but first thing that came to mind was a very big weasel/ermine. When it gets cold, they turn white and have distinctive black tip on tail.
View attachment 562733
Going on hemlock tree/branch size I would say not an ermine due the size of that creature. Too bad it’s not a video but I’ll second red fox.

It could even be a bobcat given that much blur - I'm not sure the last 1/2 of the tail to the thing that looks like a dark tip of the tail really is part of a tail rather than some background.

I pulled the card today, and nothing conclusive. I do have a video camera nearby, but it's set about 4' up, and failed to capture the critter. There are recent pictures of bobcats, but no foxes.

Original
HD0059 - Copy.JPG

ETA, here's the other pic in the sequence of 2
HD0060 - Copy.JPG

Last edited:
I’ve got a back yard camera, there are woods around me. My video won’t post on here but I see lots of critters passing through my yard. The fox and coyotes are almost nightly visitors, doe and buck at least weekly….this guy comes around right after I go out with my dog about 10:30 or so most nights. I put up a camera after a deer was killed in my yard last year.
140F5192-9590-4088-A447-82663569BC69.png

I’ve got a back yard camera, there are woods around me. My video won’t post on here but I see lots of critters passing through my yard. The fox and coyotes are almost nightly visitors, doe and buck at least weekly….this guy comes around right after I go out with my dog about 10:30 or so most nights. I put up a camera after a deer was killed in my yard last year.
View attachment 568481
So someone shot a deer in your backyard or yotes killed one?

Mating season has begun for the local coyotes. I was out back with my dog at about 7:30 this evening. She did her business then put her head up and sniffed the air really intently. I knew what she was smelling and got her to the deck stairs. We were half way up and the god awful coyote howling and screeching started. They were in a small glade of trees between my house and next door neighbors. My girl’s coming up on 14 and doesn’t move very fast….leash time for night outs now.

Mating season has begun for the local coyotes. I was out back with my dog at about 7:30 this evening. She did her business then put her head up and sniffed the air really intently. I knew what she was smelling and got her to the deck stairs. We were half way up and the god awful coyote howling and screeching started. They were in a small glade of trees between my house and next door neighbors. My girl’s coming up on 14 and doesn’t move very fast….leash time for night outs now.
I think it’s time for a covert wix and ATN for your AR.

I was snowshoeing yesterday for about 4 miles in 700 acres of the Ware River Watershed. Bumped a yard of deer in there. They were facing the sun and wind off of a small swampy pond while sandwiched between railroad tracks behind and that pond. Perfect spot for such a group. There were some big bucks in that group due to scat size. Only grabbed one photo of the spot from the other side of the pond. All my game cameras are taken down due to the timber cut going on.
C0D389EE-74D7-4127-9824-4755CD0716FA.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom