Trail camera thread. Post ur trail camera photos.

This is the second camera I put up on the other side of the land. Only 10 pics compared to about 50, so I'll let it sit for another couple weeks then move it.

Amusing:
07070015.JPG

Back to the original camera:
Nice! There are a ton of different bucks around.

07060018.JPG

07100047.JPG

Maybe I should post the land(this is the far back corner-no that isn't me or anyone I know):

Last edited:
This is the second camera I put up on the other side of the land. Only 10 pics compared to about 50, so I'll let it sit for another couple weeks then move it.

Amusing:
View attachment 502011

Back to the original camera:
Nice! There are a ton of different bucks around.

View attachment 502012

View attachment 502015

Maybe I should post the land(this is the far back corner-no that isn't me or anyone I know):
View attachment 502016
Looks like a land whale caught on camera.

How much land do you hold? I posted all the borders of my plot. Thankfully 3 of those borders have a stone fence 5 courses high. I’m currently getting an instrument survey on a 1k foot border that has an angle in it. I will be doing a timber cut and need to know the exact border.

Looks like a land whale caught on camera.

How much land do you hold? I posted all the borders of my plot. Thankfully 3 of those borders have a stone fence 5 courses high. I’m currently getting an instrument survey on a 1k foot border that has an angle in it. I will be doing a timber cut and need to know the exact border.

At least it looks like he might have a pistol. Might be semi like minded people.

39 acres. Kind of wish it was a full 40 just for the heck of it.

Old trails cut throughout. One side bordered by a low stone wall, the rear bordered by the power lines which is overgrown, the front is 1K' of paved road frontage, and I really haven't fully checked out the border on the other side yet. This camera is in the corner by the stone wall and power lines.

The previous owner surveyed it just before I bought it and there is survey flagging everywhere and I have the pdf copy of the survey. Land is really well marked. I may look into more advanced survey products later on.

I'm not really sweating folks too much right now, but once the house starts going in I will. I've already met one of the neighbors and he seems cool.

Last edited:
Indeed, but at least it looks like she might have a pistol. Might be semi like minded people.

39 acres. Kind of wish it was a full 40 just for the heck of it.

Old trails cut throughout. One side bordered by a low stone wall, the rear bordered by the power lines which is overgrown, the front is 1K' of paved road frontage, and I really haven't fully checked out the border on the other side yet. This camera is in the corner by the stone wall and power lines.

The previous owner surveyed it just before I bought it and there is survey flagging everywhere and I have the pdf copy of the survey. Land is really well marked. I may look into more advanced survey products later on.

I'm not really sweating folks too much right now, but once the house starts going in I will. I've already met one of the neighbors and he seems cool.
I’ve had a few folks take bathroom breaks on my land which has 1300 ft of frontage. I caught them on camera and was thinking of blowing up the spot of one Animal control officer but my wife talked me out of it 😆. No home there yet but I will get onry if there is bad behavior after my build starts up. This 25 acre plot has old logging roads through it which is nice to have and there will be more once the timbering is done and the new paths are combed and spruced up as part of the deal. 39 acres is a good amount to deal with. With large land tracts there is great opportunity for current use programs. I plan to do a clear cut of 2-3 acres with a food plot.

With large land tracts there is great opportunity for current use programs. I plan to do a clear cut of 2-3 acres with a food plot.

Yep. The whole thing is in current use right now, but I'll obviously pull a couple acres out for the house and pay the LUCT.

Haven't really decided what I want to do with the rest. I'll clear some downslope from the house to see if I have a view, maintain the trails, maybe some food plots, and oh yeah a range, but other than that-shrug.

Yep. The whole thing is in current use right now, but I'll obviously pull a couple acres out for the house and pay the LUCT.

Haven't really decided what I want to do with the rest. I'll clear some downslope from the house to see if I have a view, maintain the trails, maybe some food plots, and oh yeah a range, but other than that-shrug.
Excellent. I’ve got a rough range already that’s good for 100 yds but 500 would be max depending on how much timber I clear. I’m keen to keep the forest structure sound as I’ve got quality timber that hasn’t been cut in over 60-70 years. I like to forage and ephemerals, fungi, flora, fauna, and water quality are big on my list to protect. I’m at the headwaters of a major watershed river so tapping into fresh clean water will be the next vital step to a homesite.

Excellent. I’ve got a rough range already that’s good for 100 yds but 500 would be max depending on how much timber I clear. I’m keen to keep the forest structure sound as I’ve got quality timber that hasn’t been cut in over 60-70 years. I like to forage and ephemerals, fungi, flora, fauna, and water quality are big on my list to protect. I’m at the headwaters of a major watershed river so tapping into fresh clean water will be the next vital step to a homesite.

Similar here, but it was last selectively cut about 15 years ago so nothing really marketable now. I think I'll do some basic maintenance, but leave the structure of the woods intact as I like trees and all the stuff they bring.

Right now, all I have is a pistol range. Just built a new target stand for it though. Pic obviously at my current rental house.
IMG_0333.jpg

Pulled the cards again. No bucks this time, had a couple of coyotes, and a small porcupine.

Camera 1(I just shifted this camera today, so I could get some longer range shots--I've been getting too much crossing traffic like this bear):

07230028.JPG

07210017.JPG

Camera two on the other side of the land:

awww
07160073.JPG

07170079.JPG

I had two shots of this bear getting up close and personal with the camera. Going to leave the camera there to see if I can get a better shot and ID whether it is the same as what I'm seeing on the other side.

07230085.JPG

Im up to 11 (though I lost track of one I moved the other day) and keep moving the ones that don't show enough activity. Trying to cover 36AC with only 11 is not possible...
So true. Unless you are doing this like once a week even a waypoint is not too helpful especially if you have poor service like where I am. I’ve lost track a few times already.

So true. Unless you are doing this like once a week even a waypoint is not too helpful especially if you have poor service like where I am. I’ve lost track a few times already.
I started with 6. The first couple trips to pull pictures I could not find one. I added 4 more last week. Today I went out to add one more (I had it when I added 4 but did not bring enough batteries) and I found the original 6th! Yeah. But I could not find one of the 4. Sigh. I started adding colored tape near the tree I had cameras on to make sure I could find one. The original 6th I had walked past multiple times w/o finding it so the tape will help.

Waypoints are way too course. GPS accuracy on your phone is typically within 10m 98% of the time. That is a large area to "find" a camera in.

I started with 6. The first couple trips to pull pictures I could not find one. I added 4 more last week. Today I went out to add one more (I had it when I added 4 but did not bring enough batteries) and I found the original 6th! Yeah. But I could not find one of the 4. Sigh. I started adding colored tape near the tree I had cameras on to make sure I could find one. The original 6th I had walked past multiple times w/o finding it so the tape will help.

Waypoints are way too course. GPS accuracy on your phone is typically within 10m 98% of the time. That is a large area to "find" a camera in.
The more you spend time out there the more you will learn your land. I don’t know how much time you spend out there since you bought it this past May but I visit my plot like 2-3 times a week for several hours at a time (I have that luxury). I bought my plot November of last year. It’s a joy to forage, scout, and poke around the forest.

The more you spend time out there the more you will learn your land. I don’t know how much time you spend out there since you bought it this past May but I visit my plot like 2-3 times a week for several hours at a time (I have that luxury). I bought my plot November of last year. It’s a joy to forage, scout, and poke around the forest.
2-3 hours at least once a week. I wish it was more often. I’ll find the missing cameras soon enough. My dog and I are learning it all.

Im up to 11 (though I lost track of one I moved the other day) and keep moving the ones that don't show enough activity. Trying to cover 36AC with only 11 is not possible...

Put them in OnX Hunt or similar.

I just bought a third off of Amazon last night. Good thing about only having a couple cameras is you tend to remember where they are. 🙃

Back
Top Bottom