Traffic stops

If they already know, what's the point of handing your permit card to them along with your DL?

It's all part of the interview process. Think about it: they know as soon as they run your plates who the owner is, whether the vehicle is registered, whether the owner has a valid license, etc, etc. once they get your license(assuming you are the registered owner or family member) they pretty much know everything they need to.

Everything else is designed to allow them to determine whether you are a bad guy and just how bad they want to make your day, if at all.

Just one more reason not to greet the officer with, 'what the **** do you want?'

Also, we love our papers. Once the cop has your papers, you aren't leaving. IIRC, you are required to have your LTC on your person when carrying. Natural law is awesome, especially with a permit.

The way we always taught people in our class was not to say anything unless it looked like it might turn into a situation where the cop might be surprised.
Say as in being asked to step out of the car ect.
Then the wisest thing to do is keep your hands in plain sight and say " I have a firearms permit and I'm carrying one now. How would you like to proceed officer?

The best advice so far. Why would you hand out additional documents? Do what you were asked to do and you will be fine.

I would never offer my carry permit at the same time as my license. I don't even have any of my permits visible when I open my wallet. That's how questions get asked and you get ****ed. Just ask that poor bastard in ct who had 11 rounds in a mag, chamber empty.

Was pulled over just recently for speeding (45 in a 40), on a backroad around 5:00pm, workday. Cop was professional and I was respectful. Both of us were short and to the point, no chit chat. Grabbed my license and registration, was in his cruiser for about 3 minutes, came back over and handed me my stuff and told me to take it slow. As I responded, "Yes sir", he then asked if I was carrying. I wasnt and told him so and he said "Thanks, have a nice day".

Yup! They know.

Hi all. Here in CT the LEOs have EVERYTHING about you in their computer when they pull you over. Here's my concern. Because of the new laws enacted on Jan 1, we're wondering if being asked to step out of your car and spread eagle for a pat down will become the "norm" for anyone carrying or suspected of carrying. Read this link about the first ticket issued because the owner carried 11 bullets in his mag instead of just 10 and one in the pipe. There are bits and pieces of this story missing but suffice it to say that the officer knew he had his permit when he approached. Did the LEO ask him to step out of his car and be searched? I don't know. It did end up that way, however, and what's weird is the way this ended. The LEO "cleared" the pistol and handed it all back to the owner but still gave him a ticket.

http://norwalk.dailyvoice.com/polic...orwalks-first-ticket-under-states-new-gun-law

My main concern is that we permit holders will be subject to a physical search by over-zealous LEOs rather than them just asking if we are carrying. We don't know because it's still early in the year. Suffice it to say, however, that they know you are permitted and could be carrying. They also know pretty much know what you own, too, even though there is NO registration of firearms here. Because no one followed the law and destroyed purchase information after a prescribed time, a pseudo data base has been discovered which is available to the LEOs on their computer, too.

Rome

I keep my license and registration in a slot on the ceiling of my van. No fumbling in my wallet or glove box. They are in my hand when the cop approaches the window.

In Massachusetts, he is not permitted to delay you any longer than necessary, so he can't interrogate you without reason after you've given him your papers.

That small window of opportunity while you're looking for your license and registration is all the time in the world for the officer to develop reasonable suspicion to turn the traffic stop into an investigation.

A friend of mine is a leo he said everything you own also shows up including where you got it from if I sold you a firearm and we do the transfer I would be listed as the dealer

Well, not trolling, but this is about the 10th thread on this subject since New Years.

Someone else may have posted already: MSP can see every firearm you have registered to you(as always, spare me the semantics about 'registration') and some localities may if they have the upgraded system.

Just curious as to what possible use that information would be to the officer in a traffic stop? If I were the cop, I'd pretty much assume that any person I stop might be armed. Some might have a license, some might not. As for the list of guns "registered" to you, isn't that really meaningless? You could well have a borrowed firearm, a firearm you legally own that is not "in the system," or no firearm on you at all.

I just don't see how that helps the officer in a traffic stop.

Just curious as to what possible use that information would be to the officer in a traffic stop? If I were the cop, I'd pretty much assume that any person I stop might be armed. Some might have a license, some might not. As for the list of guns "registered" to you, isn't that really meaningless? You could well have a borrowed firearm, a firearm you legally own that is not "in the system," or no firearm on you at all.

They probably want to know if you own anything in .22 so they can ask if you know where they can score some ammo

Kind of like a Twilight Zone episode:

The officer knows you have a concealed carry permit. To get that permit, you've undergone some sort of training, background checks, etc, etc. Isn't that the sort of person the police don't have to worry about?

I wrote an letter to the editor of my local paper on exactly this topic a week ago. I'll see if I can link the original editorial and my response.

There was a member here who posted the he was shooting the shit with cop buddy having a coffee in the cruiser and had him run his info for the hell of it and he said his jaw dropped. All the firearms he owns and has owned came up on the screen for the cop to see. Can't seem to find the thread tho.....

So I got pulled over the other day for the first time since becoming a firearm owner (it was nothing no inspection sticker on my new jeep). I know not to approach the gun issue unless it directly presents itself such as asked if weapons in the car, not to blurt out "I have a gun" ect. but anyway...

To my point, I was curious as to what the officer can see when they type in my info. If it pops up that I am a gun owner, I would assume it would since they have everything else on me but was looking for a definite answer to feed my curiosity.

Everything!!!!

There was a member here who posted the he was shooting the shit with cop buddy having a coffee in the cruiser and had him run his info for the hell of it and he said his jaw dropped. All the firearms he owns and has owned came up on the screen for the cop to see. Can't seem to find the thread tho.....

it was a couple weeks ago I think, someone got stopped and agreed to a search or something? can't remember how the thread started

or was it the story about the MD guys that harassed a FL gun owner because his wife didn't with certainty know if his gun was in the car?

it was a couple weeks ago I think, someone got stopped and agreed to a search or something? can't remember how the thread started

or was it the story about the MD guys that harassed a FL gun owner because his wife didn't with certainty know if his gun was in the car?

No it was a member who was having coffee with his LEO friend in his cruiser and he had him run his info to see what would show up. He said he was shocked at what showed up.

No it was a member who was having coffee with his LEO friend in his cruiser and he had him run his info to see what would show up. He said he was shocked at what showed up.

oh I thought that was part of a bigger thread

either way, I remember it and don't doubt it for a second

In most states a permit/license is only useful for CCW and possession/transporting/shooting is NOT regulated in any way. So the odds that those people are CCW'g is fairly high.

In MA where a permit is required to merely possess food products or firearms, the vast majority of permit-holders don't CCW at any time (NES'rs are NOT typical of permit-holders)! Making an issue of a MV stop where CJISweb shows the person has a permit is going to get old rather quickly for most LEOs. Also the value of knowing every gun you might have owned when stopping a car for speeding is really ZERO! The real issue is the person . . . a good/well-trained LEO will make a quick assessment that the person poses a potential threat or not, regardless of any permits said person might or might not possess.

I got stopped by a rather irate state police trooper and he didn't ask, I didn't tell, he wrote me a ticket, and I went on my un-merry way.

There was a long gun and pistol in the trunk of the vehicle, properly secured of course.
Appeal it. Even if you were doing 105 in a 55. I did that and got written up for "70+, estimated" and was advised that could change to a criminal citation if he saw me in court. My balls turned to brass and I fought it, he didn't show up... Lol.. the dumb shit we do in our teens (and 20's). Statute of limitations was up 5 years ago so I don't mind posting that here.

as has been discussed many times, not to knock you, but the new system (I don't know the acronym) that state police already have and a lot of other city/towns are adopting shows that you have an ltc

based on the registered vehicle owner ( in mass---don't know about other states)

how's that work on a lease? the registered vehicle owner on a lease is the finance company.

the cops should worry about the PPs with stolen guns in their possession. i would bet cops shot more unarmed innocents than LTC holders shot innocent cops.

- - - Updated - - -

its the CT way, they get all the guns you ever owned.

I don't just hand him my iPhone with GEICKO app.

Instead, since I'm always on NES, I just hand over the iPhone for him to verify my screen name

Just curious as to what possible use that information would be to the officer in a traffic stop? If I were the cop, I'd pretty much assume that any person I stop might be armed.

What an excellent question. So you are wondering why a police officer who sees on his screen that you are a law-abiding citizen who has never been in any kind of legal trouble would see you as more of a threat than the average traffic stop with unknown persons?

It's almost like you are suggesting that the system is more concerned with the law-abiding than with criminals.

They have one system in the car. They don't have separate ones for traffic stops and other types of calls. Some departments have custom web sites to scrape information from a variety of sites to present to the officer. So they don't need to log into 3 different sites to get this information. The scarey part is with any 1 piece of information about you they can find out everything including in most cases pulling up a picture of you.

I cant believe how much some of you get pulled over.

Last edited:
What an excellent question. So you are wondering why a police officer who sees on his screen that you are a law-abiding citizen who has never been in any kind of legal trouble would see you as more of a threat than the average traffic stop with unknown persons?

It's almost like you are suggesting that the system is more concerned with the law-abiding than with criminals.

Hmm... hasn't that always been the way?

Back
Top Bottom