Traffic stops

jron

NES Member
So I got pulled over the other day for the first time since becoming a firearm owner (it was nothing no inspection sticker on my new jeep). I know not to approach the gun issue unless it directly presents itself such as asked if weapons in the car, not to blurt out "I have a gun" ect. but anyway...

To my point, I was curious as to what the officer can see when they type in my info. If it pops up that I am a gun owner, I would assume it would since they have everything else on me but was looking for a definite answer to feed my curiosity.

as has been discussed many times, not to knock you, but the new system (I don't know the acronym) that state police already have and a lot of other city/towns are adopting shows that you have an ltc

based on the registered vehicle owner ( in mass---don't know about other states)

Last edited:
I usually hand them my license and card together. they always hand it back. but you don't need to tell unless you are under suspicion. i just play it safe. they do know.

as has been discussed many times, not to knock you, but the new system (I don't know the acronym) that state police already have and a lot of other city/towns are adopting shows that you have an ltc

I apologize it is a weird thing to search for on the forum and did not want to weed through hundreds of posts with "police" in them.

I apologize it is a weird thing to search for on the forum and did not want to weed through hundreds of posts with "police" in them.

no problem---I find even the advanced search function does not give the results im looking for sometimes

Last edited:
I usually hand them my license and card together. they always hand it back. but you don't need to tell unless you are under suspicion. i just play it safe. they do know.

That's how I would do it plus insurance card and registration. I don't have a RI carry permit. Only time I've been stopped with a gun or ammo in the car was last year in Hopkinton, RI. I had two boxes of .45ACP on my passenger seat of my truck (Mazda B3000 single cab) and the cop didn't even ask a question. Just asked where I was going, I said that I was going to a local gun club, and it wasn't even mentioned.

A friend of mine is a leo he said everything you own also shows up including where you got it from if I sold you a firearm and we do the transfer I would be listed as the dealer

A friend of mine is a leo he said everything you own also shows up including where you got it from if I sold you a firearm and we do the transfer I would be listed as the dealer

Wow I didn't know that much info was available to them. I knew it told them if you had a LTC/own guns but not the particular make model information and where you got it from. So lame.

I got stopped by a rather irate state police trooper and he didn't ask, I didn't tell, he wrote me a ticket, and I went on my un-merry way.

There was a long gun and pistol in the trunk of the vehicle, properly secured of course.

seems extremely excessive useless amount of information they do not need. I could understand seeing they have a gun permit but all that stuff?

I wonder if your gun pops up as a "automatic handgun with an unlimited clip"

I got stopped by a rather irate state police trooper and he didn't ask, I didn't tell, he wrote me a ticket, and I went on my un-merry way.

There was a long gun and pistol in the trunk of the vehicle, properly secured of course.

yes as was noted in the thread(which I can't find) at length some leo's are assured they're NOT dealing with a threat for the fact that you have an ltc

seems extremely excessive useless amount of information they do not need. I could understand seeing they have a gun permit but all that stuff?

I wonder if your gun pops up as a "automatic handgun with an unlimited clip"

I thought we all had full auto handguns with belt feeds

[rofl]

Wow.

If I were a cop I'd like to know but were not the ones that they need to worry about

Exactly. Law abiding citizens are terrorists waiting to snap for sure. But hey **** me right ?

CJIS web allows LTCs to be looked up but it doesn't automatically pop when you run the plate.

Most cops don't dig that far in routine car stop. But it's not difficult.

I'm guessing driver's license, but WHAT CARD then, and why?

Maybe:
dunkincard1.gif

If they already know, whats the point of handing your permit card to them along with your DL?

Wow I didn't know that much info was available to them. I knew it told them if you had a LTC/own guns but not the particular make model information and where you got it from. So lame.

I don't think the information about your being an LTC holder just pops up right on the initial screen when they see your license.

ETA:

CJIS web allows LTCs to be looked up but it doesn't automatically pop when you run the plate.

Most cops don't dig that far in routine car stop. But it's not difficult.

I was right I guess.

I don't know of any departments that don't have it at this point, my advice is to just answer whatever question you're asked truthfully, but don't volunteer anything extra. Cops are all trained to assume everyone they stop is carrying a weapon of some sort, and you would think that would be enough, but sadly, it's not. The reality is it depends on what particular cop you run into and his or her attitude. And I fully agree that sucks, but it's the truth. The majority of younger cops are quicker to call for backup because he ran your plate and found out you have an LTC, because they are scared and have been taught to be scared. It's a shame.

I hit a sobriety roadblock in NH one Labor Day weekend. I wasn't drinking and the cop was pretty nice. He did need to see my license so I told him my wallet was in my console and it has a heavy chain on it. I told him I was going to put my interior light on so I can see my wallet and I asked him not to panic and shoot me if he sees the shiny chain flash in the light. He laughed so hard he told me to go without seeing my license.

I would never just blurt out that I was carrying or hand my LTC over without being asked. I think if I was a cop I would consider that to be a threat.

According to a police "friend" in Chelmsford, they don't (yet) have that system. He knows some of what I have, I've been shooting with him and his son. Chelmsford is rather green.

Got pulled over in Ayer a few weeks ago, spitting distance from Blue Northern. Cop said "Your license plate light is out."
Me: "Can't see it from up here, thanks for the heads up."
Cop: "You have anything in there other than that k-bar?"
Me: "Just the 1911 on my hip". (I have a k-bar stuck down between the center console and passenger seat, just cuz)
Cop: "Got a license? What kind of 1911?"
Me: " Here ya go. Para."
Cop: "Here's your warning, nice gun, have a nice night."

Burlington, pulled over for 7 over on Middlesex Turnpike near the mall 3 months ago. Warning, never said a word about guns, the k-bar, didn't ask about weapons...

My advice, fwiw... Answer, don't elaborate, don't offer...

The way we always taught people in our class was not to say anything unless it looked like it might turn into a situation where the cop might be surprised.
Say as in being asked to step out of the car ect.
Then the wisest thing to do is keep your hands in plain sight and say " I have a firearms permit and I'm carrying one now. How would you like to proceed officer?

Yes, they have a big "WARNING" screen that says you have an ltc or fid.

ETA: It might only ne in certain towns.

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

it stinks, but people will often crucify you for not "searching" it.

Well, not trolling, but this is about the 10th thread on this subject since New Years.

Someone else may have posted already: MSP can see every firearm you have registered to you(as always, spare me the semantics about 'registration') and some localities may if they have the upgraded system.

Back
Top Bottom