Traffic Stop

I have noticed that I get pulled over less these days. I used to get pulled over a lot more when I had a Glock sticker on my car, but then again I was also much younger and drove more stupidly...

You're new here, so you wouldn't know that for some reason this is a hot button topic. Many threads asking this question get locked pretty quick. As the above answer implies, there is no "best" answer so some people go off the rails trying to convince others that their's is the best.

BTW, welcome to NES!

I am?! Did you mean to quote the OP?

There are some good cops out there. With that said, there are plenty of bad ones. Problem is, you can't tell the difference by looking at them. General rule of thumb: don't say a damn word. It's a risk you may quickly regret. MA is not a gun friendly state. Don't think for two seconds that policy isn't a direct reflection of "police advice" and the badges personal opinion of 2a. When it comes to this subject, the badge is NOT your friend. Remember that. It may save your dog someday.

Sent from my iPhone in the secret lair of the Supreme ruler of the ozone layer, the Dark Lord Kramdar.

Both my husband and I have been stopped in the last year. Each time we were together, once with our son. There were plenty of guns in the car. They didn't ask. we didn't tell.

My son asked me what I would say.

If asked 'is there anything in the car I need to know about', the answer is 'no.'
If asked 'do you have any guns in the car' I would answer something along the lines of 'I have a LTC and I am carrying (or have properly stored) a firearm and would keep my hands on the steering wheel for the cops sake. I wouldn't lie. I also wouldn't consent to any searches.

The first thing I did when my kid got his license was to play 'traffic stop'. I told him the routine, flashing lights and dome light on, window open 1 inch, hands high on the steering wheel. Yes sir, no sir, keep your damn mouth shut, and no you can't search my car without a warrant. Ask before going to open the glove box for registration and keep your cool at all costs.

Teach your kids the drill, cops love to screw with teenage kids.

The first thing I did when my kid got his license was to play 'traffic stop'. I told him the routine, flashing lights and dome light on, window open 1 inch, hands high on the steering wheel. Yes sir, no sir, keep your damn mouth shut, and no you can't search my car without a warrant. Ask before going to open the glove box for registration and keep your cool at all costs.

Teach your kids the drill, cops love to screw with teenage kids.

Why window open 1 inch?

Teenage daughter gets pulled over for speeding by local police, cries when officer approaches and let off with verbal warning

Teenage son gets pulled over for speeding and get hassled, asked to let search car, questioned and threatened with arrest and towing of the car.

Life in small town America

There is no correct answer to this question.

In my opinion is that the person who tells me they're carrying isn't the one I'm concerned about. It's generally the gang member or drug dealer who has no idea what an LTC is that concerns me.

Remember, people love to generalize and assume what the preferences of the police may be in certain situations because it will make life easier. In reality, if you ask five different cops their preference as to an armed operator announcing their carry, you'll get five different answers.

Bottom line, concealed means concealed and you have no duty to announce your carry. But if the officer finds out for some reason, it may not go well from there.

Teenage daughter gets pulled over for speeding by local police, cries when officer approaches and let off with verbal warning

Teenage son gets pulled over for speeding and get hassled, asked to let search car, questioned and threatened with arrest and towing of the car.

Life in small town America

I have a very atractive, well dressed, polite teenage daughter. Also have a disrespectful teenage son who blasts punk rock in the car. Both get pulled over for doing the same thing. Who is going to get the ticket?

Both also go for the same job and are both equally qualified. Who is getting the job?

Is this fair? Maybe not, but this is the real world.

If I were a LEO and pulled someone over and the window was open 1 inch I would right away think the person is being disrespectful and now your chances of a warning go way down.

Even after reading all these posts mostly all saying the same thing, I still ask myself...whats the harm in just passing my LTC with my drivers license as a way of saying, I'm carrying, I'm doing so legally and although I am not required to present you with this info I am doing so because I feel it is better that if you do run across my legal carry it is better for it to happen on my terms.

Of course I would follow all the normal guidelines I would during a traffic stop to keep all involved as comfortable as possible ( hands in plain view, keys out if ignition, polite etc... )

If I have nothing to fear, whats the harm ? I know I may get hammered from the more seasoned on here for this way of thinking.

Even after reading all these posts mostly all saying the same thing, I still ask myself...whats the harm in just passing my LTC with my drivers license as a way of saying, I'm carrying, I'm doing so legally and although I am not required to present you with this info I am doing so because I feel it is better that if you do run across my legal carry it is better for it to happen on my terms.

Of course I would follow all the normal guidelines I would during a traffic stop to keep all involved as comfortable as possible ( hands in plain view, keys out if ignition, polite etc... )

If I have nothing to fear, whats the harm ? I know I may get hammered from the more seasoned on here for this way of thinking.

BINGO - Pretty simple, I keep it right next to my drivers license and just hand him both. Never had any issues. Not sure why some make it so complicated.

Got pulled over last week for doing 66 in a 65 on 495. (I did pass the COP, he was in middle lane, set my cruise control to 66 and went by him)First question he asked was 'any guns in the car?' Second question was 'why are you wearing a Yenkees hat in Mass?' I am pretty sure that was why I got pulled over!

A Statie I assume? Everyday on 2 East I see a State trooper glued to someones bumper, and they are both doing 80+ mph. Selective enforcement appears to be the rule on 2.

There is no correct answer to this question.

In my opinion is that the person who tells me they're carrying isn't the one I'm concerned about. It's generally the gang member or drug dealer who has no idea what an LTC is that concerns me.

Remember, people love to generalize and assume what the preferences of the police may be in certain situations because it will make life easier. In reality, if you ask five different cops their preference as to an armed operator announcing their carry, you'll get five different answers.

Bottom line, concealed means concealed and you have no duty to announce your carry. But if the officer finds out for some reason, it may not go well from there.

I'm not quite following you Obie. (and you are one of the posters who have my utmost respect in regards to explaining interaction with LEOs) I'm trying to understand your last sentence. Did you mean to say that if you are carrying, and don't announce that fact, and are discovered later to be carrying, you're going to have tough go of it?

I don't think you meant it that way, but what exactly do you mean?

It also could be my reading comprehension skills are failing.[rolleyes]

And exactly why is that? If you are not doing anything illegal, there is no reason for anything not to go well.

I'M GOING TO KICK YOUR ASS AND I'M GOING TO GET AWAY WITH IT!!!

images

And exactly why is that? If you are not doing anything illegal, there is no reason for anything not to go well.

Kind of like how former attorney general Ashcroft announced that if someone isn't doing anything wrong, it means they aren't a suspect.

I think what Obie is sayin is that if you go to get your wallet out of your back pocket for your license and the officer identifies a gun coming from under your shirt as you lean, there is certainly going to be an OHH SHIT moment going through the head of the officer and how he reacts will certainly depend on the officer. That is what "Concealed means concealed" means... if you get made in certain situations it can get ugly quick even if you're 100% legal.

All that being said... I'm not informing the officer unless asked specifically or asked to step out of the vehicle. Once you're out of the car the likely hood of a patdown is increasing and I'd rather let him know while seated and my hands on the wheel than get dropped onto the ground or slammed into a car.

I think what Obie is sayin is that if you go to get your wallet out of your back pocket for your license and the officer identifies a gun coming from under your shirt as you lean, there is certainly going to be an OHH SHIT moment going through the head of the officer and how he reacts will certainly depend on the officer. That is what "Concealed means concealed" means... if you get made in certain situations it can get ugly quick even if you're 100% legal.

All that being said... I'm not informing the officer unless asked specifically or asked to step out of the vehicle. Once you're out of the car the likely hood of a patdown is increasing and I'd rather let him know while seated and my hands on the wheel than get dropped onto the ground or slammed into a car.

If there is an Oh Shit going through their head, then some re-training is in order. The mere presence of a gun does not a panic make. There is no reason to announce anything (unless required by law). People just have to lean how to shut the F up.

My father retired from the state police. He always said to keep your mouth shut and say nothing that did't pertain to the matter at hand. Words to live by.

If there is an Oh Shit going through their head, then some re-training is in order. The mere presence of a gun does not a panic make. There is no reason to announce anything (unless required by law).

While an officer overreaction/reacting inappropriately calls for re-training I'm fairly certain that while i'm curled up in a ball getting beat (or worse) by a cop and his buddies the last thing I am thinking is "I sure hope this fellow gets some re-training".

People just have to lean how to shut the F up.

My father retired from the state police. He always said to keep your mouth shut and say nothing that did't pertain to the matter at hand. Words to live by.

This is good advice in most instances. Personally If i think there is even the slightest chance of an officer catching a glimpse of a gun on my person I'm probably going to let him know I am licensed to carry and am currently doing so, before getting to that point. Cops have been known to overreact to such things in a bad way, and it has happened on more than one occasion.

It happened fairly recently in Minneapolis, the guy (Zachary King) was legally carrying and had the ever loving tar beat out of him by 5 cops, all because a one of them noticed him carrying.

~SW

While an officer overreaction/reacting inappropriately calls for re-training I'm fairly certain that while i'm curled up in a ball getting beat (or worse) by a cop and his buddies the last thing I am thinking is "I sure hope this fellow gets some re-training".

This is good advice in most instances. Personally If i think there is even the slightest chance of an officer catching a glimpse of a gun on my person I'm probably going to let him know I am licensed to carry and am currently doing so, before getting to that point. Cops have been known to overreact to such things in a bad way, and it has happened on more than one occasion.

It happened fairly recently in Minneapolis, the guy (Zachary King) was legally carrying and had the ever loving tar beat out of him by 5 cops, all because a one of them noticed him carrying.

~SW

Wow, simply amazing! The MA police & AG have you people running scared.

Back
Top Bottom