Traffic Stop

Hello, I live in MA, and my question is, if I'm stopped for a routine traffic stop should I inform the leo that I'm transporting a firearm in my lock box? If I'm carrying of course I will tell the leo out of respect and I think its the law. But what if Im just transporting? Thanks and sorry if this was asked I couldnt find it.

There is no legal requirement in MA. Asking should you will open up a whole can of worms in this thread. But the point is, there is no legal requirement and there are stories warning both ways if you do or if you don't. Use your judgment and act accordingly.

No need to rehash the obvious, just be aware that *SOME* other states have a "must notify" requirement.

Take it out of the box, stick both hands out the window (with the pistol in one of them) and yell I HAVE A GUN at the top of your lungs.

IBTL

How does search work? IBTL

c6e4c996-8871-d9d0.jpg

Hello, I live in MA, and my question is, if I'm stopped for a routine traffic stop should I inform the leo that I'm transporting a firearm in my lock box? If I'm carrying of course I will tell the leo out of respect and I think its the law. But what if Im just transporting? Thanks and sorry if this was asked I couldnt find it.

You should not volunteer any information that hasn't been requested of you, nor are you legally obligated to do so.

Some states require you notify an LEO that you're carrying during a traffic stop. Massachusetts is not one of them.

thanks for the input. just trying to educate myself.

That's why many of us degenerates would up here, to educate ourselves on one matter or another.

If you poke around this site a little you'll come across a numbers of threads that may shed some light on the varied reaction [laugh]

Stick around, please. Mostly good folk here. Except for the guy with the pink tutu.

Take it out of the box, stick both hands out the window (with the pistol in one of them) and yell I HAVE A GUN at the top of your lungs.

IBTL

This,and tell them you do not have a dog.

There is no legal requirement in MA. Asking should you will open up a whole can of worms in this thread. But the point is, there is no legal requirement and there are stories warning both ways if you do or if you don't. Use your judgment and act accordingly.

I absolutely agree that there is no statutory requirement but there are some CLEO's that require it of the license holders they issue to. If you live in one of those cities/towns you should already know that. IIRC Springfield has that "requirement."

Suitability allows CLEO's to make up their own rules and take away your LTC if you don't follow them. Would they? Who knows. Can they? Yup

Bob

The only question I've ever been asked even close to that is the general "do you have explosives, weapons of mass destruction, biohazard materials" I recall just laughing and saying "of course not" I'm usually pretty honest during traffic stops and usually get nothing more than a warning because of it. But no matter what, never ever just come out with info that they haven't asked for unless the state your in requires it. And if they do ask you about what's in the vehicle or your person (no matter what it is) you can simply respond with "I'm sorry officer, but I'm not comfortable answering any questions not directly related to your reason for pulling me over" You may think this would piss them off, but for me almost all of them have seemed to have been in such a hurry to hit their quota for the day that their attitude changed immediately to more of a "I don't feeling like getting into a 1-5th amendment pissing contest with this guy"

OK....I've read these threads many, many times, now....

How often do you guys get pulled over? [laugh]

In the last 15 years, I've bene pulled over, once, and it was for thinking that a stop sign was a yield sign late at night. I slowed way down, both roads were deserted (well, except for the cop, hiding 200 yards from the intersection....)

Now, I'm not a young kid in a sports car - I drive a Caravan - so I'm somewhat "invisible" to John Law unless I do something to attract attention.....but many of the responses start with "Whenever I get pulled over....."

How often is it that people chat with a cop through the driver's window, what are you driving, and what's the "reason for the stop"?

Got pulled over last week for doing 66 in a 65 on 495. (I did pass the COP, he was in middle lane, set my cruise control to 66 and went by him)First question he asked was 'any guns in the car?' Second question was 'why are you wearing a Yenkees hat in Mass?' I am pretty sure that was why I got pulled over!

Did he write you up for the one mile?

No, as I went by him he was shaking his head laughing, pretty sure it was the Yankees hat that set him off. He said "I am doing 65 in the center lane and you passed me, that means you were speeding!" Busted my balls then said have a nice day, be carefull pulling out.

In the last 15 years, I've been pulled over, once, and it was for thinking that a stop sign was a yield sign late at night. I slowed way down, both roads were deserted (well, except for the cop, hiding 200 yards from the intersection....)

Now, I'm not a young kid in a sports car - I drive a Caravan - so I'm somewhat "invisible" to John Law unless I do something to attract attention.....but many of the responses start with "Whenever I get pulled over....."

How often is it that people chat with a cop through the driver's window, what are you driving, and what's the "reason for the stop"?

I don't get it either. Listening to the scanner (scanner.patriotledger.com) I regularly hear queries with reports back that said DL/Reg has been queried 27 (15, etc.) times recently!!!!

Like you, I don't drive a car that stands out from the crowd, but I also don't drive slowly! I've been stopped twice since ~1980, once was ugly and once was AOK . . . in both cases it was "yes sir, no sir", license/registration and slow it down and have a nice day. No flashing of badges/IDs.

From my days on the PD I can tell you that some people "just bring attention to themselves" by their behavior!

Part of the reason that I ask, is that my kids are getting ready to drive - and I want them to be more like me, than the people that get pulled over.

A couple of weeks back, on Route 9 in Framingham, at about 5:00, I saw a pulled over car, with a Statie tearing it apart. It was a rice-burner; IIRC, it was tricked out with custom rims, etc.; and the kid had baggy shorts, oversized t-shirt, and the obigatory baseball cap on sideways.

All I could think of was, "This is what happens when you beg for attention - you get it!"

I agree with OCHMUDE. The answer below is as good as they get.

IBTL!

(You have no duty to inform - whether you do or not is a matter of personal preference)
You're new here, so you wouldn't know that for some reason this is a hot button topic. Many threads asking this question get locked pretty quick. As the above answer implies, there is no "best" answer so some people go off the rails trying to convince others that their's is the best.

BTW, welcome to NES!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom