Traffic stop with TWO concealed firearms!

Off the subject, I feel naked as well, but I've worn mine religiously since 3 of my friends over the years have died due to ejections in a car accident. In one of them the car rolled back on top of them (was a passenger) and they didn't find them until the tow truck flipped the car back over.
Back on subject of guns in cars... I wonder how many emergency workers have walked off with guns, drugs, and money from an accident scene where the occupants died. Many I bet.

While I imagine it has happened somewhere, never in my 20 years in public safety have I personally seen or heard of anyone stealing guns, drugs, or cash from a deceased victim or a scene that I've responded to. It's irresponsible to make that assumption without fact, stats, or proof. Don't paint us all as asshats.

While I imagine it has happened somewhere, never in my 20 years in public safety have I personally seen or heard of anyone stealing guns, drugs, or cash from a deceased victim or a scene that I've responded to. It's irresponsible to make that assumption without fact, stats, or proof. Don't paint us all as asshats.

I wasn't painting. I was wondering how many. There have been, I know this for sure, my good friend is a cop in a "big city" and he's told me stories of cops and medics getting busted taking shit from accidents and crime scenes. He's told me stories of the IA officers setting up crime scene stings to catch guys who may steal. It's a dept with 20K++ officers, so with that number there is most certainly some bad apples.

Right, it's not mandatory in FL.

It's mandatory if asked, which is the case in most states.

But there are states where you have to disclose even if not asked. A Rundown of "Duty To Inform" Laws in All 50 States - USA Carry

I was pulled over in Oklahoma by the HP while carrying concealed, and didn't know it was a mandatory-even-if-not-asked state (despite the fact that I grew up there :oops:). He wanted me to get in the cruiser with him (no, I hadn't done anything wrong; he was just fishing for drug runners because of my out of state plate), and as I approached the car he asked if I had any weapons on me. I said yes, and he momentarily freaked out, yelling "why didn't you tell me?" I said "you didn't ask." I explained that I was a Virginia resident and that unconditional disclosure is not a requirement here.

He told me to go put the gun in the truck and come on back. Didn't watch me do it, didn't ask me if I had anything else before I got in his car (very weird, according to my son, who is a county cop). It all turned out fine; we eventually started discussing my choice of gun and carry position while we waited for the dispatcher to come back with a clean report. Got off with a "warning" for "not leaving my blinker on long enough when changing lanes."

Bottom line, make sure you know the state laws when you travel. You can't assume that just because you're in a gun-friendly state that there's not some law that can get you in trouble. This could have turned out badly for me because of my ignorance.

no, I hadn't done anything wrong; he was just fishing for drug runners because of my out of state plate

Same thing happened to me in Kansas last year. The trooper was very personable and let me go without a warning (since I truly hadn't done anything wrong), but these pretext stops to enable fishing expeditions just piss me off. They are a blatant violation of the 4th Amendment.

Same thing happened to me in Kansas last year. The trooper was very personable and let me go without a warning (since I truly hadn't done anything wrong), but these pretext stops to enable fishing expeditions just piss me off. They are a blatant violation of the 4th Amendment.
Agreed. I did have a couple sacks of water softener salt in the bed of the truck (I was helping my parents move at the time) and I was apparently in a frequent drug running corridor at the time. I wondered if the sacks prompted the stop. But the tailgate was up and there's no way he saw those from the cruiser. And when he first approached, from the PASSENGER side window, he did a very blatant visual scan of my cab as he asked me the standard "do you know why I stopped you" routine.

I don't hate cops. My son is one, and he's a good one. And I wouldn't want their job. But they do go on fishing expeditions, even in "free" states.

Agreed. I did have a couple sacks of water softener salt in the bed of the truck (I was helping my parents move at the time) and I was apparently in a frequent drug running corridor at the time. I wondered if the sacks prompted the stop. But the tailgate was up and there's no way he saw those from the cruiser. And when he first approached, from the PASSENGER side window, he did a very blatant visual scan of my cab as he asked me the standard "do you know why I stopped you" routine.

I don't hate cops. My son is one, and he's a good one. And I wouldn't want their job. But they do go on fishing expeditions, even in "free" states.

I was returning from Colorado -- I've driven out there the past two summers to go offroading in my Land Cruiser. I was on I-70 eastbound in Kansas when I was stopped. I wasn't over the limit or driving in any way to get attention. The trooper was just fishing because I had an out-of-state plate. He claimed that he stopped me because my dealer plate surround partly covered the license plate registration sticker. Of all the ridiculous, made-up, BS reasons for a fishing expedition, that one has to take the cake.

I don't hate that trooper. He was quite polite and personable. But I hate that I had to stop and play the game by answering questions that I shouldn't have had to answer in order to be on my way, when I hadn't done anything wrong.

And I don't see how a late 50s white guy in a $40k suv matches any criminal profile.

I was returning from Colorado -- I've driven out there the past two summers to go offroading in my Land Cruiser. I was on I-70 eastbound in Kansas when I was stopped. I wasn't over the limit or driving in any way to get attention. The trooper was just fishing because I had an out-of-state plate. He claimed that he stopped me because my dealer plate surround partly covered the license plate registration sticker. Of all the ridiculous, made-up, BS reasons for a fishing expedition, that one has to take the cake.

I don't hate that trooper. He was quite polite and personable. But I hate that I had to stop and play the game by answering questions that I shouldn't have had to answer in order to be on my way, when I hadn't done anything wrong.

And I don't see how a late 50s white guy in a $40k suv matches any criminal profile.

I would have thought "the guy is nice enough but deep down inside he's really a prick" to go fishing like that.

Even the one MSP a few years ago that clearly "fished me because he was bored" actually came up with 110% legit, by the book reason to pull me over. (I forgot to put my new registration decal on the plate). I may not like it, but I wouldn't call that guy an a**h*** because at least he actually followed the law instead of making shit up on the side of the road like that guy that pulled you over did...

-Mike

Even the one MSP a few years ago that clearly "fished me because he was bored" actually came up with 110% legit, by the book reason to pull me over. (I forgot to put my new registration decal on the plate). I may not like it, but I wouldn't call that guy an a**h*** because at least he actually followed the law instead of making shit up on the side of the road like that guy that pulled you over did...

Agreed. About a year ago I was stopped in Wayland because my registration sticker was out of date, which was because I had forgotten to renew my registration. The Wayland PD officer told me to renew online while she wrote up a warning. I’ve got no problem at all with that stop and am grateful that she chose to give me a warning — she could have towed my suv and given me a ticket.

He claimed that he stopped me because my dealer plate surround partly covered the license plate registration sticker. Of all the ridiculous, made-up, BS reasons for a fishing expedition, that one has to take the cake.

The OK trooper told me he pulled me over for three reasons. Following too close, not leaving my blinker on long enough, and an obscured license plate. I've got a retired Navy plate surround that my daughter gave me a few years ago. Yes, it does partially obscure the "Virginia" letters on the plate. And yes I've got the special Gadsden flag plate, which is pretty common in rural Virginia, and possibly something the OK trooper hadn't seen before. So I don't fault him for that. I might have done the same if I were in his position. He's just trying to do his job.

The problem is, the actions of the bad people are affecting the good people's rights to move about freely. The cops, at least the good ones, are caught in the middle. Just MHO.

... I find it much less tense dealing with black people down here than I do up north. People down here are just plain nicer, no matter what color they are.
That's because it's a thing.

I also insist that any passengers wear their seatbelt as well. This isn't solely because I don't want to see them turn into road pizza, but also because I don't want my brains to get knocked out when they go rocketing towards the window.
That passenger compartment dashcam footage is pretty cool -
it starts out like the credits to That 70's Show,
and then someone briefly changes their seat.

“Sir, you make any motions to that gun, I’m gonna shoot you.”

Seconds later...

“Do me a favor, go ahead and grab it.”

Uhh...

Turns out, traffic stops when someone has a gun isn’t always so smooth in Florida.

Back
Top Bottom