• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Traffic stop with TWO concealed firearms!

Now, imagine what would have happened to this guy in MA...
A similar thing happened to me in Wellesley a number of years ago. The officer asked about guns (there were 3 of us coming from a match on the cape). I was in the front passenger seat. Three car stop ending with no citation (despite idiot driver) and the words "You are exercising your right as Americans to be armed and that is a good thing". We wondered if we had accidentally entered a portal into a different Massachusetts.

It just blows me away that some people still don’t wear seatbelts. I feel naked without mine on and I learned to drive before most cars came with them, or if they were in the car, they were so buried under the seat, you’d come close to dissassembling the seat to untangle them.

Seemed like a good deputy though.

It just blows me away that some people still don’t wear seatbelts. I feel naked without mine on and I learned to drive before most cars came with them, or if they were in the car, they were so buried under the seat, you’d come close to dissassembling the seat to untangle them.

Around 1970, my dad started working in the ER on Saturdays. He started his own pseudo-scientific study. Each time he treated car accident victims, he asked them how they had their headrest adjusted and whether they were wearing their seatbelts.

He stopped his study after 6 months because as soon as he walked into the treatment room he knew whether they were wearing seatbelts and whether their headrest was properly adjusted. It was around that time that he insisted that everyone have their seatbelt on before he started driving.

Wear your seatbelt.

Good for that officer.

As far as seatbelts and head rests. It's automatic for me to put on my seatbelt. Even if I'm just moving my truck in my driveway or parking lot, as soon as I sit down, the seatbelt goes on.
As far as headrests go, it's not like the old days, where they were little tiny bumps on the back of the seat that you had to adjust higher to align with your head. Now, they're pretty much so big they are usually positioned about right. More often then not, I see people with them positioned too high now.

Some cops start off nice like this guy. Some do not. Don't fall for the cop with an attitude. If he pushes your buttons and you respond then you are the one getting arrested. Swallow your pride and just get through the stop.

Good for that officer.

As far as seatbelts and head rests. It's automatic for me to put on my seatbelt. Even if I'm just moving my truck in my driveway or parking lot, as soon as I sit down, the seatbelt goes on.
As far as headrests go, it's not like the old days, where they were little tiny bumps on the back of the seat that you had to adjust higher to align with your head. Now, they're pretty much so big they are usually positioned about right. More often then not, I see people with them positioned too high now.

Yeah, back in the day they were quite small. Today they are larger and you have more leeway in adjustment. Though just yesterday I saw a woman in front of me with her headrest adjusted so high that her head would likely hit the two metal support rods in an accident.

Off the subject, I feel naked as well, but I've worn mine religiously since 3 of my friends over the years have died due to ejections in a car accident. In one of them the car rolled back on top of them (was a passenger) and they didn't find them until the tow truck flipped the car back over.
Back on subject of guns in cars... I wonder how many emergency workers have walked off with guns, drugs, and money from an accident scene where the occupants died. Many I bet.

View: https://youtu.be/gYftFIHBJO8

GOD I need to move!

I don’t know if it would make a difference. That is pretty much how all traffic stops I’ve experienced have gone. Including ones while armed. As a matter of fact here in Ma I was in a rush to get to my stand one morning and was pulled over with a 12ga in the seat next to me (no case). Stop ended with a “good luck I hope you get one”, “just slow down so you get there in one piece”. The police aren’t near as bad as some of the cop hating dinks here would have you believe.

Around 1970, my dad started working in the ER on Saturdays. He started his own pseudo-scientific study. Each time he treated car accident victims, he asked them how they had their headrest adjusted and whether they were wearing their seatbelts.

He stopped his study after 6 months because as soon as he walked into the treatment room he knew whether they were wearing seatbelts and whether their headrest was properly adjusted. It was around that time that he insisted that everyone have their seatbelt on before he started driving.

Wear your seatbelt.

I have very few regrets and have little life history I would change if I could. One thing I'd definitely re-do was my decision making right before a bad accident. Friend of mine and I were driving home from a Pat Benatar and Red Rider concert (dates me, huh?) in LA when his brakes failed in a heavy downpour. Cold and thirsty, my priorities went down like this: Beer, check. Button up jacket, check. Put on seat b... BAM!

Put my head through the windshield but amazingly didn't drop my beer. Of course the impact caused most of the beer to soak the interior of the car and us. Santa Monica PD cuffed us and brought us in, but since my buddy blew a zero on the breathalyzer (no idea how) we didn't even get busted for minors in possession of alcohol nor was he cited for the accident. Despite looking a bit like Rodney King 'after', I refused medical treatment and felt fine. Within a couple days I became horribly nauseous which lasted until the concussion healed a bit. I'd rather not again be on the verge of puking for two weeks straight.

Wear your seat belt.

Wear your seatbelt.

Heard similar from a LEO who said he's responded to a ton of accidents but never unbuckled a dead man from the seat.

In the past, I had seen some very nasty and ugly accident fatality videos and pics on the internet.
Yes, some unbuckled drivers survived, but their quality of life and disfigurements were horrendous = because they did not have seat belts on.

That was enough for me. I wear a seat belt 100% of the time. I would not want to have to go thru life with half my face and lower jaw missing....

I don’t know if it would make a difference. That is pretty much how all traffic stops I’ve experienced have gone. Including ones while armed. As a matter of fact here in Ma I was in a rush to get to my stand one morning and was pulled over with a 12ga in the seat next to me (no case). Stop ended with a “good luck I hope you get one”, “just slow down so you get there in one piece”. The police aren’t near as bad as some of the cop hating dinks here would have you believe.
My son and his best friend became Eagle Acouts together. His friend is black.

There is a difference in how each of them are treated in a traffic stop.

Another anecdote:

My son jumped the turnstile at a subway station in NYC. (The machine took his money and didn’t give him a ticket.)

Undercover cops grabbed my son and a black kid who had jumped to write them citations.

The cops cuffed the black kid and not my son.

Another anecdote:

My son jumped the turnstile at a subway station in NYC. (The machine took his money and didn’t give him a ticket.)

Undercover cops grabbed my son and a black kid who had jumped to write them citations.

You shouldn’t let your son hang with that Jussie Smollett kid anymore, he’s nothing but trouble.

Another anecdote:

"The plural of anecdote is 'data'".
Racism exists, it's real.
But it doesn't exist everywhere, and not every decision is made based upon race, gender, religion or sexual orientation.

There's a balancing point somewhere, and some parts of our society live nicely on it, and others don't. I know it must sound strange, but I find it much less tense dealing with black people down here than I do up north. People down here are just plain nicer, no matter what color they are.

While not completely untrue these threads kinda get depressing and exaggerated... just like the recent OC thread...
My first question would be.... who hasn’t had police interaction while concealing multiple firearms?
Secondly, is having two firearms worse than having just the one?

Seatbelts.... meh not my cup of tea..
Helmet on a street bike.. no thanks..
Helmet on ATVs.... definitely something you need... your 100% certain you’ll wreck at some point.

One caution. Make sure you leave your seat belt on until the officer is by the door. I got pulled over one time in Connecticut for speeding, and before the officer was by the door, I unbuckled to get the registration out of the "glove" box (does anyone even keep gloves in it?), after he processed me and came back, he cut me a break for speeding (no ticket), but gave me a ticket for driving without my seat belt on. I did mention to him that I had been wearing it, but since he was giving me a break on the speeding ticket, I didn't complain.

One caution. Make sure you leave your seat belt on until the officer is by the door. I got pulled over one time in Connecticut for speeding, and before the officer was by the door, I unbuckled to get the registration out of the "glove" box (does anyone even keep gloves in it?), after he processed me and came back, he cut me a break for speeding (no ticket), but gave me a ticket for driving without my seat belt on. I did mention to him that I had been wearing it, but since he was giving me a break on the speeding ticket, I didn't complain.

Leave it on the entire time of the traffic stop. If a drunk hits your car while you are on the side of the road, you really want that seatbelt on.

1. Agree on all counts "Wear your seat belt".
2. Surprised no one expressed his/her opinion about why did the driver volunteered the fact he was carrying. AFAIK, you are not required to inform the officer if you carry.

1. Agree on all counts "Wear your seat belt".
2. Surprised no one expressed his/her opinion about why did the driver volunteered the fact he was carrying. AFAIK, you are not required to inform the officer if you carry.

That depends upon the state.

Agree. It's also why I pull over as far as I can so that neither the officer, or I get hit by someone who is drunk, not paying attention, or just attracted to lights. Problem is I don't think I can reach the other side of my car with the belt on. Probably should move the registration to the center console.
Leave it on the entire time of the traffic stop. If a drunk hits your car while you are on the side of the road, you really want that seatbelt on.

Well getting this thread back on track. . . .

A similar thing happened to me in Wellesley a number of years ago. The officer asked about guns (there were 3 of us coming from a match on the cape). I was in the front passenger seat. Three car stop ending with no citation (despite idiot driver) and the words "You are exercising your right as Americans to be armed and that is a good thing". We wondered if we had accidentally entered a portal into a different Massachusetts.

About 15 years ago my buddy and I were at a range in central MA. Strubridge. Hoopster. Some place like that.

He pulled out his Contender with the 45LC/410 bbl. We shot it a bit. I had purchased a few boxes of .410 shells. And we had a clay-thrower. So we were trying to hit clays with a .410 in a RIFLED bbl that was slinging shot in an ever-increasing circle. Made it interesting b/c you couldn't aim right at it or even lead it a little. You had to try and MISS to hit it. Strange.

Anyhow, about 2 boxes in, the local fuzz stops by. Young guy. Somehow he was chief in some scandal that basically decimated the department. He sat around and shot a box or two with us. He was a pretty good instinctive shooter. Nice guy. Nice gun-friendly cops DO exist out there.

The flip-side is this: Do you really want a job where you pull over people of questionable background who might be looking to do you harm?? It's like Russian roulette. I still remember the Marc Charbanneu (sp) killing of. . . .25+ years ago. Lone state cop shot on Rt 3, IIRC. So I can understand the concern of an officer during a traffic stop.

Back
Top Bottom