• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Traffic stop while carrying

I think they are the only state left with a radar detector ban, too.

DC has one, too, although they're not a state. CT got rid of their ban in the early '90s IIRC. Some other states don't ban RDs but they have "windshield obstruction" laws that are sometimes used to harass detector users.

Don't volunteer information when dealing with the police on any matter involving yourself. Answer all questions truthfully but don't incriminate yourself either. However honesty will frequently get you off with a warning with regard to speeding and other traffic violations. keep your hands where they can be seen at all times .

If you are asked to leave your vehicle I suggest you say the following (based on my trainibg, anyway) : I have a Massachusetts License to Carry and I am carrying it. How do you want us to proceed? Note I never mention gun, pistol or firearm, keeps it low key. I use the word us which suggests compliance and cooperation that I am working with and not against the officer.

Some LEOs will be dicks but most will be not. If you are carrying and have only committed a civil traffic offense and you are legally packing, don't act nervous.

And a good recommendation is to put both hands on the steering wheel, and keep them there. We have no requirement for a permit to carry up here, but if I have any firearm in the vehicle, long or short, I do this. It takes some of the nervousness from the LEO.

For me, Westford would be on the top of this list. Or at least the total DB cop I ran into there. First ticket in over 15 years. Total aggressive *******. As I sat in the Panera while my kids ate, he went tearing up and down the street

A note: I was absolutely guilty of the infraction for the ticket he wrote - if I had seen the sign, which was buried in 7 feet of snow. When I pointed out that I'd never been there and that the sign was obscured by a snowbank or I wouldn't have made the hur, dur 'illegal' left turn, he told me to 'tell it to the judge'. [hmmm]

He also stopped 2 other suckers while I was eating at the Panera there, so he was looking for the revenue. Haven't set foot in that town since, and they and all their businesses can EABOD. And yes, I was carrying, and no I didn't bring it up. The cop had such a roid rage hardon, I didn't feel like having an asphalt breakfast

You didn't fight the ticket? You should have taken a pic of the buried sign at least.

-Mike

DC has one, too, although they're not a state. CT got rid of their ban in the early '90s IIRC. Some other states don't ban RDs but they have "windshield obstruction" laws that are sometimes used to harass detector users.

The CT ban was pretty much gutted by non-case law, case law.

The FCC is the only government agency allowed to regulate the use of the radio spectrum and the FCC allows you to receive in any band you want. People would cite this in traffic court and charges would be dropped. My dad did this a couple of times.

Because traffic court is in front of a magistrate, not a real judge, it didn't officially make case law. But everyone knew that if you cited the federal law, you were off free.

The CT law was repealed in the early 90s.

Don

The FCC is the only government agency allowed to regulate the use of the radio spectrum and the FCC allows you to receive in any band you want. People would cite this in traffic court and charges would be dropped. My dad did this a couple of times.
NY has a law that you cannot have a radio capable of receiving police frequencies in the passenger compartment of a car unless you are a special person (Fire/LE/have permit unavailable to normal people). I wonder if the FCC reg would override such a law.

Of course, that law interpreted literally makes modern cell phones illegal because of scanner apps.

NY has a law that you cannot have a radio capable of receiving police frequencies in the passenger compartment of a car unless you are a special person (Fire/LE/have permit unavailable to normal people). I wonder if the FCC reg would override such a law.

Of course, that law interpreted literally makes modern cell phones illegal because of scanner apps.
Tuning a satellite signal and decrypting the signal (think HBO) can get you in trouble, no?

IIRC in one of those scanner ban states having an FCC Amateur Radio License works as a bypass to the ban.

-Mike

Don't have kids. You or the wife will bite the big one sooner rather than later from what I have read in this thread.

Way too late for that, our kids have kids.

I don't think that either of us drive recklessly, but we definitely both have lead feet.
My wife drove hundreds of thousands of miles as an on the road sales rep, and I'm just terminally impatient and love going fast...

And a good recommendation is to put both hands on the steering wheel, and keep them there. We have no requirement for a permit to carry up here, but if I have any firearm in the vehicle, long or short, I do this. It takes some of the nervousness from the LEO.

What do cops in Vermont have to be nervous about? That their Ben & Jerry's will melt before they get you ticket written out? Or are they always on the lookout for a dairy cow stampede? [laugh]

I kid, I kid.

I was pulled over a few weeks ago and presented both the license and registration alongside the gun license. she asked what I was carrying, where it was. remarked about how she would never want to carry a steel brick (686) and left it at that, got a warning and a thank you for sharing.

What do cops in Vermont have to be nervous about? That their Ben & Jerry's will melt before they get you ticket written out? Or are they always on the lookout for a dairy cow stampede? [laugh] I kid, I kid.

I worked with an MSP Sgt who put in 5 years with the Vermont State Police before getting on with the Staties here. He told some pretty hilarious stories about his time up there and how he had to deal with cows on the road.

I was pulled over a few weeks ago and presented both the license and registration alongside the gun license. she asked what I was carrying, where it was. remarked about how she would never want to carry a steel brick (686) and left it at that, got a warning and a thank you for sharing.

Holy Crap Batman!!! Not everyone hates AngelKing.

What do cops in Vermont have to be nervous about? That their Ben & Jerry's will melt before they get you ticket written out? Or are they always on the lookout for a dairy cow stampede? [laugh]

I kid, I kid.

I don't know if they're nervous but they sure are busy. It seems they're busting someone every day or so hauling as up the highway with a bunch of heroin.

I kid, I kid.

Joke taken as a joke. Damned if I know why most of them are nervous, but they are. The response below this will shed so,e light on recent events though.

Oh Vermont is a practical war zone. That's why the Vermont State police "need" and MRAP AND!! a Lenco Bearcat.

http://www.wcax.com/story/24775148/vt-police-get-an-armored-tactical-vehicle

Actually, some of the Staties need an MRAP, because they fear getting shot. Had an incident last year where they shot an unarmed woman, that was surrendering an unloaded (discharged) muzzle loading pistol (single shot 54 caliber) to the county sheriff (not a deputy either). They made her nervous, she tossed the gun on the ground, then one of the Staties shot her in the stomach. They covered it up pretty well, but there are some people that definitely still have some heartburn with the Staties in the area. The reason she had it was because her boyfriend was trying to commit suicide (and screwed it up). Add that she's handicapped, lost her fingers on one hand a few years ago. The boyfriend is a total loser, and even tried to twist the suicide attempt into her trying to murder him, after the incident, and the cops were called to deal with a suicide.

Needless to say, I vet any Statie here that buys from us, and I'll default to no until proven OK.

Suffice it to say the sheriff was pretty miffed over it, not on the side of the Statie.

You'd want those too if your home bordered both New York and Massachusetts...

New York up this way makes Western Mass look suburban.

Back
Top Bottom