Traffic stop & travel gunsafe legality question

Hey guys,

New MA LTC/gun owner and first time poster. I apologize if my question has been answered elsewhere in three forum, but I looked and couldn't find the answer.

If i wanted to keep one of my guns in my car or motorcycle, locked in a lifepod safe, do the police have the right to demand that i open the safe if i get pulled over? For instance, if they ask me if i have any weapons in me and i say yes, do i have to open the safe?

And secondly, is it lawful to store my gun in the lifepod safe tethered under my driver's seat unloaded but with the loaded magazine in the same safe? Liked if i had to leave my gun in the car to go into the nursing home to visit someone or something.

Thank you in advance

Hey guys,

New MA LTC/gun owner and first time poster. I apologize if my question has been answered elsewhere in three forum, but I looked and couldn't find the answer.

If i wanted to keep one of my guns in my car or motorcycle, locked in a lifepod safe, do the police have the right to demand that i open the safe if i get pulled over? For instance, if they ask me if i have any weapons in me and i say yes, do i have to open the safe?

And secondly, is it lawful to store my gun in the lifepod safe tethered under my driver's seat unloaded but with the loaded magazine in the same safe? Liked if i had to leave my gun in the car to go into the nursing home to visit someone or something.

Thank you in advance

The short answer is yes as others have said. I quoted the law below for you.

I use a cheap $20 clamshell lock tethered in the vehicle with a steel cable. There is one in each of our vehicles.

If you are new to CCW and haven’t taken an in-depth laws class like Lens please take one. There are a lot of intricacies in the MGL and regulations. It is important to understand the differences and requirements regarding Carry-vs-transport-vs-storage.

Welcome to the forum.

Bob

Section 131L. (a) It shall be unlawful to store or keep any firearm, rifle or shotgun including, but not limited to, large capacity weapons, or machine gun in any place unless such weapon is secured in a locked container or equipped with a tamper-resistant mechanical lock or other safety device, properly engaged so as to render such weapon inoperable by any person other than the owner or other lawfully authorized user. It shall be unlawful to store or keep any stun gun in any place unless such weapon is secured in a locked container accessible only to the owner or other lawfully authorized user. For purposes of this section, such weapon shall not be deemed stored or kept if carried by or under the control of the owner or other lawfully authorized user.

I don't feel compelled to CC when visiting my mother...
Understood, but also think of the logistics of having to remove the handgun and holster (I’m assuming in the parking lot or somewhere else) and locking it in the safe. If possible, I’d rather just keep it at home for that trip, or carry it. All it takes is someone walking by, security camera, etc. to cause a headache for you. Not worth the trouble, unless it’s a place where you’re not legally able to carry.

Understood, but also think of the logistics of having to remove the handgun and holster (I’m assuming in the parking lot or somewhere else) and locking it in the safe. If possible, I’d rather just keep it at home for that trip, or carry it. All it takes is someone walking by, security camera, etc. to cause a headache for you. Not worth the trouble, unless it’s a place where you’re not legally able to carry.

My normal carry is a M&P Shield 45 in an OWB holster. On trips where I plan on securing my weapon in the car I pocket carry a small revolver in a sticky holster as it is much easier to take it out and put it in the lock box without drawing a lot of attention.

Bob

Why would you have to store your gun in a car to go in a nursing home? /boggle
I don't feel compelled to CC when visiting my mother...
Nursing homes aren't just filled with physically weak elderly people. Their are plenty of mentally challenged, alcohol, drug addicted, or traumatic brain injury related younger people that can sometimes be dangerous at the blink of an eye, especially when the sun starts to go down. This goes for the elderly too!

Nursing homes aren't just filled with physically weak elderly people. Their are plenty of mentally challenged, alcohol, drug addicted, or traumatic brain injury related younger people that can sometimes be dangerous at the blink of an eye, especially when the sun starts to go down. This goes for the elderly too!

that's awesome.

The short answer is yes as others have said. I quoted the law below for you.

I use a cheap $20 clamshell lock tethered in the vehicle with a steel cable. There is one in each of our vehicles.

If you are new to CCW and haven’t taken an in-depth laws class like Lens please take one. There are a lot of intricacies in the MGL and regulations. It is important to understand the differences and requirements regarding Carry-vs-transport-vs-storage.

Welcome to the forum.

Bob

Section 131L. (a) It shall be unlawful to store or keep any firearm, rifle or shotgun including, but not limited to, large capacity weapons, or machine gun in any place unless such weapon is secured in a locked container or equipped with a tamper-resistant mechanical lock or other safety device, properly engaged so as to render such weapon inoperable by any person other than the owner or other lawfully authorized user. It shall be unlawful to store or keep any stun gun in any place unless such weapon is secured in a locked container accessible only to the owner or other lawfully authorized user. For purposes of this section, such weapon shall not be deemed stored or kept if carried by or under the control of the owner or other lawfully authorized user.

BUT !! The SCOTUS ruled that law as unconstitutional. yes, I know mAss

On June 26, 2008, in District of Columbia v. Heller (PDF), the United States Supreme Court issued its first decision since 1939 interpreting the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution. The Court ruled that the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution confers an individual right to possess a firearm for traditionally lawful purposes such as self-defense. It also ruled that two District of Columbia provisions, one that banned handguns and one that required lawful firearms in the home to be disassembled or trigger-locked, violate this right.

Good point. I figured i could remove and store all while in the car somewhat protected from outside eyes by my tinted windows. But you're probably right.

Understood, but also think of the logistics of having to remove the handgun and holster (I’m assuming in the parking lot or somewhere else) and locking it in the safe. If possible, I’d rather just keep it at home for that trip, or carry it. All it takes is someone walking by, security camera, etc. to cause a headache for you. Not worth the trouble, ...
57xhse.jpg

In other words, @MAJoe Delivers!

Back
Top Bottom