Traffic Stop Story

I've always wondered how it would play out for me.... When in my car for a long distance, I have my gun in my driver's side door in it's holster. Easily accessible, sits in there securely, and under my control at all time (I don't have kids nor ever have any in my car with me). That last statement has always made me curious. Technically it's not on me, but it couldn't be any closer to me. The only way I can see it coming out of that door pocket is during a bad crash, but I would doubt it would even come out of the holster because it takes a good amount of force to remove it.

Omg, can only read to post 30 & so much fail.....these threads piss me off. Prolly a new trooper or a dumb one. Good electricians vs bad..... Nothing the trooper did was lawful on the surface. Yet it surprises some when this shit happens. What really happens during or as a result of an unlawful search? Suppression. That's it. Lodge a complaint that that cop was a dumb ass as searched illegally (he/she did)...kinda need reasonable suspicion for consent and probable case for evidentiary..he had neither (on the surface). So many times...too many f-tard cops think gun = crime. Can't fix small minded stoooooopid

\
Comes up on the in car laptop

- - - Updated - - -

they can also pull up a list of guns you have registered to you

Oh really? How? The database keeps track of transactions in which you were transferror or transferee. I didn't know it nets all those transactions and shows the net left over of what you bought, minus what you have sold. How do you know they can pull up a list of what is registered to you?

Can you fire up the video on your phone and say that you are recording? This is to capture both audio and video.

There are no wire tapping laws when it comes to filming in public. As long as you are obviously recording, nobody can do jack about it.

Even if you have a dash cam, you don't have to tell a cop you are recording. If he doesn't see it, it's his problem.

I personally would not fire up the camera until he started talking about searching the vehicle. If it's just a normal stop, your chances are better if getting a warning if you don't stick a camera in his face

God I am SOOO glad I left that miserable hell hole state and I truly feel for those of you unable to do so because of job or family.

What you are experiencing up there (and there are many many other examples on this site, is nothing more than Gestapo tactics.

If anyone is even considering a move to Western North Carolina please contact me and I'll do what I can to fill you in. Can't help with expenses.

It's the most beautiful part of the state, in the Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains. The liberal A-holes have taken over the Eastern section.

BTW the NC Trooper who conducted my LTC class told us that the ONLY people he never fears on a traffic stop is someone with a concealed carry permit.

Last edited:
Your friend is foolish for consenting to anything.

You will not win on the roadside , ever.
Whatever escalating level of force is needed to make you comply will be applied.
Do whatever you need to do to get through it and then if need be , raise holy hell.

Oh really? How? The database keeps track of transactions in which you were transferror or transferee. I didn't know it nets all those transactions and shows the net left over of what you bought, minus what you have sold. How do you know they can pull up a list of what is registered to you?

It shows all the guns that have been transferred to, or registered by you. It will not show any that you have sold, or otherwise disposed of. You may have a gun you got rid of 20 years ago, yet it will still be tied to you. At least it's been that way in the past.

Note that this takes further "digging" by the LEO, but the info is available.

You will not win on the roadside , ever.
Whatever escalating level of force is needed to make you comply will be applied.
Do whatever you need to do to get through it and then if need be , raise holy hell.

you are absolutely right that you will not win on the roadside. But you still never consent to a search of the vehicle. Pat me down all you want...feel me up...grope me...it's your nightmare...but if you search my car you will not have my consent.

An officer may perform a pat down of your person to check for weapons at ANY time for ANY reason during an interaction with you. He may ask you to step out of the vehicle to do so. I believe it's the "Terry vs. ????" case that allows this.

This does not give him permission to search your vehicle, nor permission to search your person for anything other than a weapon (can't look in your shoes for drugs)

A Terry stop requires the officer to articulate two things. One, that he suspects you may be armed. Two, that he reasonably believes that you have committed a crime or are about to commit a crime.

question:
if one says to the office "am I being detained, am i free to go", and the officer replies "you are bring detained", what is the next step?
I would proceed by saying "on what grounds", now based on the BS that comes out of the officers mouth (probably suspicion of ....) what would you do next? Tell him to piss off and leave? Take your phone out and now start recording (of course if the cop is a big enough douce your likely to get a gun pulled on you once you start reaching for things).

On the flip side of the OP's story....

Setting the Scene... Me, with my 5.11 Freedom Fries TShirt driving around in my car with NH Plates (Firearm Related Vanity Plate)

Last Tuesday, I was going up Route 2 out past Gardner at a rather expeditious rate of travel, slightly distracted (but still looking at the road) due to work crap, and missed the Trooper sitting on the side of the road. I see him pull into traffic, put his lights on, so I moved to the right lane and got into the flow of traffic. He gets in line behind me (No lights on) and follows me off the highway as this was my planned exit.

Once I turn onto the surface street from the exit ramp, he puts his lights on and we both pull over to the side of the road. After we're stopped, he does the whole touch the trunk thing as he walks up to the window and I hand him my license. He asks for the registration, tell him I'm reaching into the glove box to do it. As I'm doing that, he asks me if I have any firearms in the car. I answer truthfully (yes). He asks where and I say my right hip. As he's opening the door, I assume to remove from the car, I add that I have a license for it (Should have lead with that). He pauses for a moment and says "You have a license?" "Yessir" He asks for that and checks it out. "I didn't know they issued these to out of staters, hell, We [MSP] even issued it". He starts walking back to his cruiser and remembers to ask for my registration, which I give him.

He goes back, does his thing and walks towards me with the "dreaded envelope". I say dreaded envelope because the only time I remember seeing one is when I've gotten a citation. He says he's only giving me a written warning and to slow down (a lot). So now that he's handing back my cards and registration, I asked him what made him ask about the firearm, was it the plate? He said "No, it was your TShirt". He gets back in his cruiser and I pull away.

Granted, this is outside of the Metro Boston Evil Influence Sphere, but overall not a horrible story of dealing with a Trooper.

I can't decide if the novelty of my Non-Res LTC swayed his decision to write me at least a 200$ ticket or what, but I'm glad he didn't impose an extra tax on me that day.

First mistake was allowing the search of the car. Should have said no, to the search and no to weapons on person. after that remain silent

Meanwhile, just a short WALK a little further down Route 16 and the heroic Trooper (with just a minimum of effort) could have found something unlawful happening in, oh maybe Chelsea?...Or Everett?...Or Somerville?....but hey, why risk breaking sweat in the projects or the "sanctuaries"... when you can harass a law abiding, taxpaying American citizen....

Absolutely effin Gutless.

I was pulled over this weekend for not having a front license plate. Handed the officer my License and Ltc and made him aware I was carrying. He asked me where it was holstered. He took my registration and license ran everything and sent me on my way. I honestly feel he would have found out I was a Ltc holder and things would have gone differently hadn't I been honest from the beginning.

An officer may perform a pat down of your person to check for weapons at ANY time for ANY reason during an interaction with you. He may ask you to step out of the vehicle to do so. I believe it's the "Terry vs. ????" case that allows this.

This does not give him permission to search your vehicle, nor permission to search your person for anything other than a weapon (can't look in your shoes for drugs)

Terry Vs Ohio

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_v._Ohio

Someone already said it...Terry stop.

I've always wondered how it would play out for me.... When in my car for a long distance, I have my gun in my driver's side door in it's holster. Easily accessible, sits in there securely, and under my control at all time (I don't have kids nor ever have any in my car with me). That last statement has always made me curious. Technically it's not on me, but it couldn't be any closer to me. The only way I can see it coming out of that door pocket is during a bad crash, but I would doubt it would even come out of the holster because it takes a good amount of force to remove it.

I was in a crash and the contents of my pockets were on the floor. They were zipped in the pocket of the leather jacket I wore. And my shoes went flying too. All from the impact.

I was pulled over this weekend for not having a front license plate. Handed the officer my License and Ltc and made him aware I was carrying. He asked me where it was holstered. He took my registration and license ran everything and sent me on my way. I honestly feel he would have found out I was a Ltc holder and things would have gone differently hadn't I been honest from the beginning.

Has nothing to do with being honest. Youre legally not required to inform him unless he asks. If its a traffic related stop, why bring it up? If they ask, then fine, answer truthfully.

eta- It was pointed out this may not have happened in MA. If it did, I stand by what I posted. If its outside of MA, we all need to know the law and act accordingly.

Last edited:
I do not consent. Am I being Detained? Am I free to go? (that's none of your business)

I do not consent. Am I being Detained? Am I free to go? (mind if i see a warrant?)

I do not consent. Am I being Detained? Am I free to go? (also none of your business)

I do not consent. Am I being Detained? Am I free to go? (for your safety and my safety i am going to remain in my car and you are going to f*** off)
You ever done this yourself? What was the result?

He won't - see Glik vs. Cunniffe.

there is probably a separate thread for this, but in case there isn't- is simply stating that "all conversations that occur between the operator of this private motor vehicle are recorded for the operators safety" doesn't cut it in the DPRMA?

I have had it happen after the fact and had no problems; the trooper that pulled me over wasn't a dick though.

luckily your friend was not deaf and trying to communicate with sign language, or he would be DEAD now.

Back
Top Bottom