• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Traffic stop shootout footage

In a defensive shooting class I took we got a chance to handcuff each other. The takeaway from the exercise was that it isn’t all that easy to do with a compliant subject. Much, much harder to do with a subject who is resisting. The goal of the exercise was to discourage us from ever attempting it.

The NYP video was edited, here's a longer version of the shootout, where the troopers exchanged more gunfire with the perp before he drove away. 47 shots in all were fired between the three of them. The cops firing from the side of the road didn't seem concerned at all about their stray shots going towards traffic.

I'll be the first to criticize an officer who behaved badly (there are many examples). But those officers waited until there truly was no other option but to use lethal force. Did the officers fail in some way that lead to the escalation of the gunfight? Maybe, but I'm not well versed enough in police training to say whether they failed in that regard. At one point you see one officer take the gun the guy had on his person and unload it and throw it away during the struggle to handcuff him. From my non-expert view, the officers did the best they could given a very very non-compliant subject.

This was a good shoot and I'm glad the officers recovered.

Are you suggesting shooting an unarmed man in the back while he is on the ground with two cops on top of him? Really?

In a defensive shooting class I took we got a chance to handcuff each other. The takeaway from the exercise was that it isn’t all that easy to do with a compliant subject. Much, much harder to do with a subject who is resisting. The goal of the exercise was to discourage us from ever attempting it.
correct, took classes in the Army handcuffing and trying to subdue a subject who was resisting. That guy was superhuman and every cops worst nightmare. What happened to the perp?

Video says he was convicted of attempted murder of a police officer.

Still stealing earths oxygen.

they tazed him and that didn't work. From what I observed he curled up and has the small cop on top of him. You can't use a baton on a perps head, arms, legs, back fleshy parts of the body. From what I saw unless they hit him in the head and knocked him senseless it wouldn't have stopped him.

I think the guy was so hopped up on drugs that unless they started smashing some bones it wasn't going to amount to much.

-Mike

I think the guy was so hopped up on drugs that unless they started smashing some bones it wasn't going to amount to much.

-Mike
yup, or like I said cracked him in the head, which you're not allowed to do. We trained with the collapsible batons with the knob on the head and you were not allowed to hit a perp in the head.

contentdolphzigglersleeperhold.jpeg

It looks like it fell out of an ankle holster (or fell down through his pants and out the pants leg) when the DUI fell down into traffic. Then the shorter officer kicked it while maneuvering after the taller officer dragged the DUI out of traffic. When the shorter officer kicked it, it ended up by the DUI on the ground, so the shorter officer picked it up and removed the magazine and threw them off to the side out of reach of the DUI.

Then again, after watching it again, it looks like it was the taller officers BUG.

Who's gun did the cop throw to the side? Billy club beats a taser any day.

Last edited:
Problem with that hold is, you can get your back broken or your skull cracked if the holdee rams you into something or falls back on you and you cushion his fall against the ground and your skull hits the pavement.
Doing that requires that his lights go out very quickly.....like breaking his neck!
These cops weren't street fighters by far.

Problem with that hold is, you can get your back broken or your skull cracked if the holdee rams you into something or falls back on you and you cushion his fall against the ground and your skull hits the pavement.
Doing that requires that his lights go out very quickly.....like breaking his neck!

Thank you

Thank you

You ALWAYS want to keep your feet on the ground, otherwise you become a projectile/cushion/battering ram for the opposition.
I'm surprised neither cop maced him......that shows the tunnel vision they developed in relying on a taser.

If he was not subdued with a taser or mace I'd have empied a mag into him QUICKLY,....long before he broke loose and certainly as he was reaching into the car. He was already stripped of one gun, that was enough justification for me to start high velocity ventilation on him.

You ALWAYS want to keep your feet on the ground, otherwise you become a projectile/cushion/battering ram for the opposition.
I'm surprised neither cop maced him......that shows the tunnel vision they developed in relying on a taser.

If he was not subdued with a taser or mace I'd have empied a mag into him QUICKLY,....long before he broke loose and certainly as he was reaching into the car. He was already stripped of one gun, that was enough justification for me to start high velocity ventilation on him.
Thank You

Yes. Usually a collapsible baton like an Asp. I don’t know if many still in carry a PR-24.

I'm not a fan of them as a general rule. Too short, not enough mass to do any real damage that would lead to a truly combative person to submit. They aren't even good for breaking car windows. They are good for poking rattlesnakes, moving them out of the way.

The PR24 is a different story, but no one carries them anymore.

Back
Top Bottom