• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Traffic Net Question

I was listening to the Paxton repeater last night at 2100 and heard the Central MA Traffic Net sending and receiving traffic.

I was curious, what is the protocol for sending traffic?

I've googled and really can't find an answer that makes sense to me.

I've got a friend out in CA that I'd like to touch base with...been like 25 years since I talked to him. I don't have his phone number. All I have is the ULS entry for his call sign (KD6GDB). He only lists a PO box.

So, my questions:

1. What is the proper method to send him a message? What exactly do I say on the net? How much am I allowed to say? ("Jeff, Blindfire here. Got my ham license...xxxxxx. Let's catch up".) Is that appropriate?
2. How does the downstream ham contact him? If no phone number is available, do they send him a letter to his PO box?
3. Do I have to provide my phone number or other info to the net if I want a phone call for any reply?

Thanks!

Here is his info, hope it helps you.

Amateur License - KD6GDB - JURENKA, JEFF M Help in new window
New Search Icon New Search Printer Icon Printable Page Reference Copy Icon Reference Copy

MainAdmin

Call Sign KD6GDB Radio Service HA - Amateur
Status Active Auth Type Regular
Dates
Grant 01/26/2012 Expiration 02/11/2022
Effective 09/12/2014 Cancellation

Licensee Information

FRN 0005498563 Type Individual
Licensee Name
JURENKA, JEFF M
PO Box 1421
Tehachapi, CA 93561
ATTN Jeff Jurenka

Amateur Data

Operator Class Technician Prev. Op. Class
Group D Prev. Call Sign
Eligibility Code
Trustee/Custodian (for Non-Individuals Only)
Name Call Sign

Jump to end of page Skip Bottom Navigation Links

ULS Help ULS Glossary - FAQ - Online Help - Technical Support - Licensing Support
ULS Online Systems CORES - ULS Online Filing - License Search - Application Search - Archive License Search
About ULS Privacy Statement - About ULS - ULS Home
Basic Search By Call Sign By FRN By Licensee Name =

Also, if either of you has a nearby EchoLink capable repeater, you might be able to use that to chat. I've never tried it myself but I've seen it demonstrated on the YousTubes.

http://echolink.org/

I'm on Echolink now...on the Westford repeater. I'm not sure if my buddy actually lives in the city that is on file with the FCC.

Here is his info, hope it helps you.

Amateur License - KD6GDB - JURENKA, JEFF M Help in new window
New Search Icon New Search Printer Icon Printable Page Reference Copy Icon Reference Copy

MainAdmin

Call Sign KD6GDB Radio Service HA - Amateur
Status Active Auth Type Regular
Dates
Grant 01/26/2012 Expiration 02/11/2022
Effective 09/12/2014 Cancellation

Licensee Information

FRN 0005498563 Type Individual
Licensee Name
JURENKA, JEFF M
PO Box 1421
Tehachapi, CA 93561
ATTN Jeff Jurenka

Amateur Data

Operator Class Technician Prev. Op. Class
Group D Prev. Call Sign
Eligibility Code
Trustee/Custodian (for Non-Individuals Only)
Name Call Sign

Jump to end of page Skip Bottom Navigation Links

ULS Help ULS Glossary - FAQ - Online Help - Technical Support - Licensing Support
ULS Online Systems CORES - ULS Online Filing - License Search - Application Search - Archive License Search
About ULS Privacy Statement - About ULS - ULS Home
Basic Search By Call Sign By FRN By Licensee Name =

Yeah, that is how I looked him up in the first place. I remembered his name as I used to work with the guy and remembered he was big into ham back in the mid 90s.

Radio Telegram might be what you're looking for. I actually received one shortly after getting my license. People must monitor new licenses and send some out to welcome new licensees. Mine came from Montana I believe.

http://www.arrl.org/news/the-amateur-amateur-hammy-grams

Will definitely check this out...thanks!

Back
Top Bottom