Trade in value info

Steve600

NES Member
I was going to trade in a few guns at a local shop. Can you recommend an online site or a book that has current trade in prices, etc? Also, if a rifle has a decent scope, is it better to remove it and sell separately or keep them as a set. Thanks

I was going to trade in a few guns at a local shop. Can you recommend an online site or a book that has current trade in prices, etc? Also, if a rifle has a decent scope, is it better to remove it and sell separately or keep them as a set. Thanks
Sir. Use the classifieds. That’s why they’re there.

Selling the scope separately would be preferable for MOST buyers, but if it’s zeroed already, you can offer to sell it with separate prices and as a package.

make an account on the gunbroker. login.
to the right of the search field click 'advanced'. click 'completed items' tab. then search and note the prices.

if a shop will give 10% or so less than that - it is ok.

1. Sell here.

2. If you want to sell your guns to a shop, PM me and I will give you what a shop will give you, with the bonus I will drive to you and make you laugh while we do the transfer.

3. If you sell on NES, remove the scope. Decent to some is sh*t to others or might still be decent but not needed. No one wants to pay more for a scope they don't want.

To echo, but reinforce what most other NES members have said... trade ins at gun shops, pawn shops, et cetera are infamous for paying lowball prices.

The NES classifieds are a great option - primarily due to the lower amount of complete sketchballs, scammers and skinflints that are on Armslist. You may have somewhat less exposure here but the lack of headache may be worth it for you.

"Trade in value" sites are useless and often have ZERO relavance to the local market value of firearms.

To echo, but reinforce what most other NES members have said... trade ins at gun shops, pawn shops, et cetera are infamous for paying lowball prices.
I about shit my pants when I heard my local FFL telling some dude what he'd pay for a few unfired shotguns. Hell, I've paid more for old single-shot .22s. The poor bastard took the money, though. Couldn't believe it.

NES classifieds but don't be greedy.

If the scope happens to be a gloss finished Leupold or USA made Burris in good condition, throw it on ebay or Gunbroker and you'll probably get 2-3X's what you paid for it. You'll get shit for scopes on trade-ins.

If the guns are very desirable, e.g., Savage 99, older Winchesters, look at the prices of completed auctions on Gunbroker to give you an idea as to a range of values. You can sell them on Gunbroker and have a local FFL ship them and you will make out much better than trading them in.

Last edited:
I would sell the scope separately if you want to get the most money out of it. Also, I would recommend not trading it in at a shop, but selling privately. You'll get about half to 2/3 the money from the shop that you would in a private sale.

... yes the book of don't do that... by every nes member

Depends on the gun. I've got a Ruger bolt-action in 243. Honestly - is there ANYONE ELSE in mASS that would want that? I've also got about 500rds of varmint ammo (hand loaded) to blow through first. LOL

I don't miss the Uzi. I don't miss the ACR. I do miss my G19 - that was a dumb idea. But for the most part, the guns I've sold I was AOK with selling.

Another option is consignment, which may not do as well as a private sale but better than a shop buying outright.

Fours Seasons charges 18%, and will sometimes go to 15% on very expensive guns or large collections. You set the price which is why you sometime see excessively hopeful pricing on the Four Seasons site, which is a mixture of consignment and shop owned guns. You can get a good idea of asking prices at http://used.fsguns.com, but consider that some may be overpriced by the consignor.

dunno why people are so afraid of it, but, it is extremely easy to sell on gunbroker.

and an auction end price is almost always fair. you will hit much larger audience than here, and will get way better final price than any shop may offer.

Fours Seasons charges
dunno, i was in that shop only once and hated it so much - i will never be in a deli ticket emporium place ever again. just left an extremely negative memory, on a whole swarm of factors.
it was a totally wasted time and the attitude - oh my god.

dunno, i was in that shop only once and hated it so much - i will never be in a deli ticket emporium place ever again. just left an extremely negative memory, on a whole swarm of factors.
it was a totally wasted time and the attitude - oh my god.
It really is a love it or hate it place.

The Smith and Wesson forum is a good resource for prices, depending on what you have, and I've had good luck selling there. The downside is you end up shipping to someone in most cases so extra time and money. I prefer to sell on NES.

Op, if you don't mind answering online... why are you selling?

Because you never use them?
Because you need the money?
Other ...

I don't like selling anything. Example I have a bunch of Mausers I never shoot and have been sitting in my safe for a decade.

Bored and thinking, I decided I will start reloading for a Swedish Mauser and the Argentine Mauser.

A decade after buying them. Glad I never sold them.

OP,

You will sell for more here or on Gunbroker than you will get for a trade/cash at most shops. In general if you price accordingly it will be OK. People here can be cheap though so
ignore the replies saying they want it for way less. If you wanted to sell it for way less, then you'd go to a gun shop.

When I do a multi firearm trade/sell, I go up to Kittery trading post. If you go for store credit, they will generally give you for what you can sell here for without a lot of hassle of dealing with selling to people here. And I walk away with gift cards that I will use later for something.

If you want cash...prepare to get hosed. Keep your firearms then, its not worth it.

Last edited:
If the scope happens to be a gloss finished Leupold or USA made Burris in good condition, throw it on ebay or Gunbroker and you'll probably get 2-3X's what you paid for it. You'll get shit for scopes on trade-ins.

If the guns are very desirable, e.g., Savage 99, older Winchesters, look at the prices of completed auctions on Gunbroker to give you an idea as to a range of values. You can sell them on Gunbroker and have a local FFL ship them and you will make out much better than trading them in.
This....I just GB'ed a Savage 99. Watch what your selling. Lever guns and some older fudd guns are in high demand right now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom