• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Tracker dogs

one-eyed Jack

Manufacturer
When Little Jack arrowed the deer this morning they had a problem finding it. Good hit, but very little blood. After a long while looking his dad Lance got on the phone and called a local guy who had a tracking dog. They were there in half an hour and the dog picked up the trail and found the deer dead in a bog. The dog yelled till they got to it. They never would have found it in the bog. Good to know about this service. Also, no charge for this, but Lance will get the guy's address and send some cash. Jack

Thats a great service that guy is providing, worth sending a few bucks for it for sure.

Yes. Definitely stupid, especially considering the wanton waste regulation they want to add.

ARCHERY DEER SEASON: Archery Stamp required. Archers shall not possess firearms on their person or use dogs.
http://www.eregulations.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/19MAAB-LR3.pdf

Bob
Have not read the regs, but that may apply to using dogs to drive deer? The guy in NH was somehow licensed for the dog and had guidelines. He was not allowed to accept $$. Maybe working for F&G. I'll find out today. Jack.

Have not read the regs, but that may apply to using dogs to drive deer? The guy in NH was somehow licensed for the dog and had guidelines. He was not allowed to accept $$. Maybe working for F&G. I'll find out today. Jack.

It would be great to get a definitive answer. The abstracts seem clear but the regs are clear as mud when it comes to deer.

Bob

Later when Little Jack get's here I'll get the details (for NH, anyways). We can always talk to Google about tracker dogs. Jack.
Well, in NH, there is a list of trackers with dogs who are all volunteers who do not get paid and have to pay $50 for the license. This tracker came from Jaffrey with a Rottweiler who was on a leash till he/she picked up the trail. The dog was let go and found the deer. It yelled till they got to it. The tracker wanted no $$, but will find mail with some cash in the envelope. Jack.

Great resource if you are in a state that allows them.

IIRC they aren’t allowed in The PRM

Bob

I would think the use of dogs only applies to hunting deer, not recovering them. Now if a EPO finds you in the woods with a dog and archery equipment it might look bad so you might want to think about leaving the bow in the stand.

I thought that was a strange breed to find a deer, but after thinking about it, why would you ruin a good bird dog, training it to find deer?
The dog was well trained. Even tho the deer was dead he held it down. When Little Jack grabbed it to pull it out of the bog, he sat back and relaxed. Good puppy. Jack.

I would think the use of dogs only applies to hunting deer, not recovering them. Now if a EPO finds you in the woods with a dog and archery equipment it might look bad so you might want to think about leaving the bow in the stand.

I’m pretty sure that they aren’t allowed. Maybe Mister Happy will see this and weigh in. He is a Hunter Ed instructor.

Bob

In MA, you can't even have a dog out in the woods at all during shotgun season:

"Possession of rifles, handguns, or dogs in any woodland or field, or use of same on any game, is prohibited during the shotgun deer season except that the use of dogs is lawful for hunting waterfowl on coastal waters."

Recovery is part of the hunt, I would surmise. Though if I happen across a deer while training my dog in the woods during archery season, I'll have a GPS with me.

I’m pretty sure that they aren’t allowed. Maybe Mister Happy will see this and weigh in. He is a Hunter Ed instructor.

Bob

I'd say that Pupchow has it.

Yes, I'm an instructor, but when it comes to the laws, I tell people to read the abstracts, and, failing that, call the EPOs. The vibe that they give out at the HE courses is that they'd prefer you to ask first.

In all the classes and such, I've never heard of anything other than "No Dogs Allowed."

What breed of dog?
Buckhound I am betting. Any dog with the right training can do the job well. Lots of people train their dogs to find shed antlers. One day they will require a permit for it. In the North country, the animals need the minerals to stay alive. Every little bit helps.

I'd say that Pupchow has it.

Yes, I'm an instructor, but when it comes to the laws, I tell people to read the abstracts, and, failing that, call the EPOs. The vibe that they give out at the HE courses is that they'd prefer you to ask first.

In all the classes and such, I've never heard of anything other than "No Dogs Allowed."

Thank you,

Bob

I thought that was a strange breed to find a deer, but after hinking about it, why would you ruin a good bird dog, training it to find deer?

Im not sure if your saying a Rottweiler is a bird dog here? Its not a typical bird dog breed.

A real great breed known for finding downed deer are Jagdterriers. (Pronounced (Yockt Terrier)They are small german hunting dogs that do well with finding game.

But any dog that can scent track can find deer.

Glad deer was found. Too many hunters are too impatient when they make a bad hit and track deer too soon. Pushing deer into thick cover.

Rule of thumb from my experience.

Both Lungs good to go. half hour.

One lung only or no mans land between lungs and spine...good luck deer can run miles and may or may not die depending on blood loss and clotting. The few times ive done this ive tried pushing deer and losing trail as blood trail gets weak and dries up.
Once I tracked one for two miles just dried up.

Heart only - 1 hour (if you knicked it they can live for a while. Ask me how I know.
If you smashed it they will be like a double lung with even more blood.

Liver - 4 hours minimum, I used to wait 2hours, but have pushed a couple big bucks from their beds, still got them, had to shoot them again. Now I find 4 hours better. Smaller deer can probably go earlier.

Guts - 12 hours minimum, same as liver, idea is to let deer bed and die. There wont be shit for a blood trail, and deers first inclination is to bed. So let it do that at the shortest distance from your stand possible, because your going to be doing a grid search in the morning after. Guts and Liver, the old adage, let it die or kiss it goodbye rings true.

Muscle or Ass shot thats bleeding, keep pushing deer to keep wound open. If its a major artery or vein deer will pass out. If not, unlikely youll find/kill deer without a 2nd shot.

Note gun hits can be less blood than archery because there is some cauterize going on. Getting cut with a sharp blade makes it bleed a lot more.

Last edited:
Listen to mark from Ma
All good advice
As hard as it is to wait do it.
Like he said only time you want to push the deer is a bad shot to ass leg etc.

I tracked a deer for 5 hours about 6 miles that buck went. I made a bad shot into the front leg not much blood until we started to push it and push it hard then it would bleed a lot thank god there was a bit of snow. It final fell down a step bank of course when it ran out of blood and died.
Complete S show which I hope never happens again. In the middle of the Adirondacks no idea where I am exhausted have to drag a deer uphill and try to find log road. Luckily it all worked out but deer are tough and can go a long way

Luckily it all worked out but deer are tough and can go a long way

True. Shot placement is key but even with a great shot they can go a ways. Last deer I took was a buck, shot through the heart. Bullet ended up on the inside of the opposite entry side front leg. That deer ran 200 yards dead. No place for the blood to go out.

Fortunately, I saw where it went for the first 100 yards and the tracking was sparse for sign after that. 1 drop every 10 feet or so.

As far as bad hits go, I once shot one far back in the intestines. It was a wide open 35 yd shot in a coastal marsh. 35-40mph crosswinds, and I dont know if the wind just grabbed the arrow and veered it off, or deer stepped forward at the shot, or I just plain fxcked up or a combo of all three.

In any event, shot deer at 4pm. Waited til dark, backed out and came back at 7 am next morning. No blood black slime on arrow. Found deer 50 yards into a grid search.....still alive 15 hours later. Couldnt get up And I finished it.

Had I waited 4 hours and went after that deer in the dark, I would have bumped it and never saw it again.

Ill never take a shot in a high crosswind again.

Back
Top Bottom