1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Toyota Prius C - Any Owners here?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by FPrice, Jul 22, 2019.

1. FPrice

FPrice Retired Zoomie NES Life Member NES Member

Short background: the wife's van is falling apart. We have two months to find a new vehicle for her.

She just saw an ad for a 2015 Toyota Prius C which fits some of the basic criteria (price, mileage) but I have no real knowledge of the model. Hope to go see it later but trying to reach out in as many venues as I can to get some good input as to the pros and cons of this Toyota model. I hope to put some eyes on it later today.

She does a lot of driving in her business and has a few bulky items she carries.

Thanks in advance for any knowledgeable input.

2. ldi

ldi NES Member

I know someone who drives one for work.
    It’s 2015 with 260K miles on it.
    Scheduled maintenance only.

FPrice likes this.
  3. HarryPottar

HarryPottar NES Member

First off I have a truck, I HAVE A TRUCK.

Now that’s over with ;)

We have a Prius V, my wife’s mainly, I have to say that on NES, my eldest drives the Prius saloon. My father in law is on his 4th, either through trading up or losing one in an accident.

The C is the mini version of the V, these things are not as slow as people make out, people just drive them slow because they’re obsessed with MPG. On power mode it accelerates faster than most gas cars in its class. Ours averages around 52 MPG, once on a bet I reset it and drove a tank full of gas on slooooow mode and got 73 MPG Average, but you couldn’t live like that because other motorist would kill you.

Anyway these cars are proven, reliable and will do lots of miles. Most included our V are assembled in Japan and the fit and finish it spot on.

If the price is right I would not have an issue getting a used one.

Harry

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    ldi, Grendizer138 and FPrice like this.
  4. FPrice

Idi and Harry,

Thanks for the comments. The only issue may be the fact that it is a mini. But if she fits in it comfortably and can carry the items she uses in her work, that issue maybe a non-isse.

5. HarryPottar

HarryPottar NES Member

Been in one, they feel bigger on the inside, mini tardis, parking will be a breeze in one.

mibro likes this.
  6. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

my kid has a second gen prius hatch back. she has had it like forever....very reliable. she packs it full of stuff all the time for her business....so make sure you get the hatch back style! She loves it...loves the gas mileage.

It has to be a 2009 or older...i am quite shocked the batteries did not fry by now

hers runs poorly on ice...she has to change over to aggressive snow tires every winter. I would check to see if they solved that winter traction problem

7. Picton

Picton NES Member

Get a Prius Prime if you can afford the upgrade.

My wife had a Prius for years before getting a new one, and the Prime is insane for mileage. It's a plug-in, which basically means it works like every other Prius except that you can get a "head start" electrically. She plugs in at night and is often able to plug in at work; bimonthly trips down to RI, and the upshot is that she's traveling about 1500 miles between trips to the gas station. On an 11-gallon tank.

They're very good cars, across the entire line. We've had no problems with winter traction, though in fairness she's a teacher; if it's TOO bad out, she doesn't have to drive.

mibro likes this.
  8. FPrice

Thanks for the replies but it was already gone when I got there. Lots of people wanted it.

9. ThePreBanMan

ThePreBanMan

I would lease as opposed to buying. I have a buddy who had his battery packs go bad... That 6 grand repair bill eats away all the fuel savings pretty damn quick.

Dealer told him the service life of the battery pack is about 8 years. When it goes bad - the car is dead in the water.

10. mibro

mibro NES Member

There's a cottage industry out there now to work around this. You don't have to buy a whole new battery pack at dealer prices.

However, I haven't done much research on this, that's just my impression.

11. ldi

ldi NES Member

You’re absolutely correct.
    They replace the bad cells only.

mibro and HarryPottar like this.
  12. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

Lol, no. Whats the 0-60? 10-11 seconds? That's an eternity. Other gas powered cars in the same price class will smoke those things, even in the
    economy segment.

Don't get me wrong- There's a lot to like about these cars for other reasons (reliability, low TCO etc) but they are slugs, let's not dance around that too much.

-Mike

kalash and SKumar like this.
  13. MisterHappy

MisterHappy NES Member

On the 16 yard line, shootin' for the Lewis!
    Prii have a fan club, kind of like Volvos used to.

My older boy picked up an older Prius for short money, from one of MsHappy's bridge players - the dealer wasn't giving him anything on trade-in (no real resale from a dealer's point of view). He drove it for 2 or 3 years, almost no $ spent other than a heater blower.

He and MsHappy both have new ones, now.

AFAIK, Prius drivers don't have an analog to the Wrangler Wave, but who knows? In time, maybe...

14. pastera

pastera

Daughter has a 2010 Prius - pretty indestructible cars and she gets 50 mpg even with her (bad) driving style. Newer Prius' don't have the same battery issues as the older ones so I wouldn't give up on the idea of a hybrid.

Mileage is NOT a concern for a well maintained Prius - 300k+ is normal for these cars.

I have a 2019 Ioniq plug in - get 85-90 mpg with plugging it in at night (have solar so the plug in is worth it). If you are looking for something with more room than a Prius, then the Hyundai Ioniq is a good choice (In sport mode it actually can get out of its own way unlike the Prius)

15. mjbitt

mjbitt NES Member

Camry

SKumar likes this.
  16. drgrant

Regular camrys are great cars, and you don't need to buy a new one to get something decent, anything 2010 up would be a good place to start, you can go a few years older if you're a little more picky. I had an 09 and a 10, both V6, 25-28 mpg all day long. The I4 will do better mpg than that even.

That said if Fprice's wife spends a lot of time in shit traffic doing crap driving, a prius will be a better option in terms of reducing costs, assuming its kept over the long term.

And yes, there's the camry hybrid which is 40+ mpg all day for a lot of people but most of those worth buying are likely still out of price range on used market.

-Mike

capewalk likes this.
  17. M1911

M1911 Moderator NES Member

The various Prii get very good fuel economy and are very reliable. They are, however, somewhat noisy and unrefined. They are seriously slow.

If she doesn’t need to carry large items, the 2020 Camry Hybrid will get very good fuel economy but be much more refined inside. More expensive, though.

If she needs to carry larger items, the 2020 RAV4 Hybrid gets about 40 mpg and has a ton of space. More refined than the Prii. But it is much, much bigger (the size of a 3rd Gen 4Runner!) and obviously more expensive.

Definitely take a good long test drive in the Prius with the radio turned off before you buy one. They are quite noisy inside, which would drive me crazy.

drgrant likes this.
  18. drgrant

I've been in my boss's boss Gen II and I never really noticed it being noisy. I suspect you might be more correct at highway speeds, though. I did rent one once but we never left the airport parking lot with it because someone had a dog in it or something that pissed everywhere in the cargo area and the car stunk so bad we drove it back to the rental place and ended up with something else.

-Mike

19. Picton

Picton NES Member

We've done cross-country trips in my wife's two Prii; I haven't noticed excessive road noise, compared to the Corolla she had before or to my Tacoma. but of course everyone has different definitions of "loud" when it comes to road noise.

20. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

Yeah, but you have to know what you are doing, 'cause...450 volts!

21. M1911

In the bright side, I don’t think you would make that sort of mistake twice [laugh]

22. zboys

zboys NES Member

Damn, I can't believe how many Prius owners here, I thought this site was all gun toting, truck driving, rednecks.
    Does the Prius have a Diesel option?

23. ldi

ldi NES Member

Save on gas to by more ammo

Picton likes this.
  24. ldi

ldi NES Member

Just don’t tongue test the leads and you’ll be fine

25. Broccoli Iglesias

Broccoli Iglesias NES Member

They all work for the AG. Out yourself thread.

JK ... I know plenty of gun owners that drive a Prius and my dad has 2. I think he is on the second or third generation now. He loves them.

He never runs into any issues and the Toyota warranty is excellent.

He now has two of the Prime, the ones you plug in.

The things might be somewhat ugly, but you cant compete with their reliability.

ldi likes this.
  26. M1911

Prii are not my taste, but they are very reliable and incredibly efficient.

You really can’t argue with the fact that Toyota builds very good cars. They aren’t sports sedans by any stretch of the imagination, but they are still darn good cars.

drgrant and Broccoli Iglesias like this.
  27. FPrice

Well, we ended up buying the Prius. It is in pretty good shape, especially for a 19 year old car. The "manual of arms" for starting it takes a little bit of getting used to and it is not as quick off the line as my gas vehicles. However it is something which we can get used to.

Now, the process of buying it and actually taking possession has been very tortuous. We completed the paperwork Saturday and paid for it, by check (an action which we will return to in a moment). They FINALLY received the new title Thursday and delivered the car to me yesterday. We were told that the driver would have the title. Nope. He gave us the papers he had been given but no title. This was in the AAA office in Hadley, MA so my agent personally called the sales manager to inquire about this. The SM said that the driver was supposed to have the title (this said with the driver standing close by in the office). Then the SM said "OOPS, the driver did not pick up the title". Then the SM said that someone would bring us the title tomorrow, but would I please find out why my bank has not processed my check yet.

WHISKEY TANGO FOXTROT!?!?!?

I went to my bank first thing this morning. The check is not in their system yet. The Branch Manager told me that when the check is deposited in another bank, it clears almost immediately. The fact that is is not showing in our system tells her that the dealership has not deposited the check. I both emailed and telephoned this information to the SM and am waiting on his reply.

Here is the property in question.

IMG_0836.JPG

28. Broccoli Iglesias

Broccoli Iglesias NES Member

Dude, you have the car. Cancel the check. [laugh]

rcwhat likes this.
  29. FPrice

I do have the car. But I also have scruples. And a 50+ year absolutely spotless financial reputation.

And besides I can't take advice from someone who has such a creepy, ugly avatar!

[rofl2]

30. mibro

mibro NES Member

Looks good. But surely not 19 years old? Typo?