1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Toyota 4X4 Owners thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by CoastieRon, Jan 10, 2019.

1. roccoracer

roccoracer NES Member

I have a 5 foot bed on mine and a couple of times I wish it were the 6 foot. Even with the 6 foot bed hauling lumber will be a pain. Go Tundra if you move a lot of lumber.

2. jct61765

jct61765 NES Member

If they ever put a v8 in a Tacoma that would be an awesome machine.

CoastieRon likes this.
  3. CoastieRon

CoastieRon NES Member

I always thought the 4.7 would be perfect in the new Taco

4. 01bmf

01bmf

Heading up 89 through Burlington this morning when a giant crack stretched from side to side across the bottom of the windshield magically appeared. Didn’t hear anything. Just driving along and holy crap, there’s a huge crack there.

5. new guy

new guy NES Member

Heat blasting on the windshield?

6. 01bmf

01bmf

Nothing crazy. This was an hour into the drive.

7. scatter

scatter NES Member

Don't see why a dog couldn't make due in the back of an extra cab for a while, even if you own a Great Dane?

Lumber up to 8 ft can be reasonably loaded in a 5 ft bed if you prop it on the tailgate with proper tie-downs, which I'm sure you know.

I just get frustrated in parking lots with my long/long combination. I have probably needed the longer bed MANY more times than I've needed the crew cab. I would take the short bed OR the extra cab over what I've got now but since I haul a lot of wood, if I could change things I would definitely got with the long bed/extra cab. Everybody's needs are different.

8. scatter

scatter NES Member

Did you have any previous rock pings on the windshield? Heat differential will accelerate that sort of thing like crazy. I remember living in Pascagoula; went out to wash Mrs. scatter's conversion van. It was probably 110 degrees that day, as usual, and she had previously taken a rock to the windshield. The minute I sprayed the hose on the windshield, a horizontal crack ran completely across the thing.

9. 01bmf

01bmf

There was a tiny little ping on there, about .25 in. Wonder if that did it.

Greg likes this.
  10. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

Its a big dog. But we are planning travel with it, and would need the space to lock up suitcases and gear when on the road.

I do have a serviceable 8' trailer to haul stuff. I had been thinking i would lose the trailer and buy the truck, but if its a shortbed, that is one option...keep the trailer and use that to haul lumber. the trailer is the main reason i do not have a truck now, since it plus my SUV have gotten me thru a lot. The only weird thing, in a true lumber yard you do not see trailers, only trucks, so it is really hard to maneuver the damn trailer to get next to the wood....they do not leave enough room

11. Brin747

Brin747 NES Member

That'll do it... I had a tiny chip in the windshield of one of my previous vehicles. Had an appointment to get it repaired, on the way there the whole windshield went spider web...

01bmf likes this.
  12. Greg

Greg

Yup,happened to me a while back driving from Lake Tahoe from a little ding.I literally watched it spread across the windshield while driving. I was confused as well because it was probably 90 minutes into the drive.

01bmf likes this.
  13. ridleyman

ridleyman NES Member

does a 2007 sequoia 4x4 w/178K miles count? it has 4 hi and lo, so it's real, not just some silly subaru or some such thing

timbo and CoastieRon like this.
  14. Qwikdraw45

Qwikdraw45 NES Member

Had an '06 Taco. Unfortunately, the previous owner had done the frame coat rather than replacement.

Will be back in NH in two weeks, and looking at getting a 2000 Tundra then. Any particular issues to watch out for on those?

15. timbo

timbo Navy Veteran NES Member

I’m a little nervous...I haven’t been able to find my spare key for my 2010 Taco for the past three days. I done everything short of tear this house apart looking for it. I used it this past Saturday...This Saturday is going to be tear the house apart day if it doesn’t show up before then...it’s a chip key. North of $200 to get it replaced.

16. Qwikdraw45

Qwikdraw45 NES Member

PM sent.

17. CoastieRon

CoastieRon NES Member

I had a 2000. They had frame issues. Look for one with the new frame replacement rather than the "scrape and seal" that some dealers did. Also, take a look at every single steering and suspension part in the front end. Even though the frames were swapped in some (and scrape & sealed in others), components were not replaced. You may see excessive rust on control arms (upper and lower), brake lines, etc.

18. Dressed to Kill

Dressed to Kill NES Member

19. CoastieRon

CoastieRon NES Member

Yeah, saw this. The story making the rounds was the runners were trying to steal the tailgate or some such nonsense.

20. timbo

timbo Navy Veteran NES Member

I'd love to know the back story on this...

21. CoastieRon

CoastieRon NES Member

22. Greg

Greg

That's strange, Toyota doesn't give you a choice. You either need a new frame,or they just spray it. My friend had his sprayed,about 3 years later he noticed a hole in the frame and got it replaced.

23. CoastieRon

CoastieRon NES Member

Yeah, weird. My BiL had a 2001 Tundra that failed the frame test, and they replaced his frame. My truck didn't fail the test, so they scraped and coated it.

Today I flashed my truck's ECU with the Orange Virus 87 Octane tune. After I run this tank of 89 out, I'll fill up with 91, and flash the ECU to the 91 tune.

Tacoma 3.5L Custom ECU/TCU Tuning Package

lots of reading here:

2016+ Toyota Tacoma V6 ECU Tuning Alpha Release

Greg likes this.
  24. Wickedcoolname

Wickedcoolname NES Member

I really like the looks of the TRD sport. Mainly due to the fake hood scoop. I know it's a silly reason to like a vehicle, but I think they're kind of boring looking without it. But a TRD sport with a long bed gets pretty pricy. Maybe I'll buy a plain Jane Tacoma and source out a TRD hood.
    But in reality I'll end up driving my 9 year old Silverado for another 9 years. I pay cash for my vehicles, so saving up around 40K for another truck will mean switching to cheap cigars and cheap whiskey, and that's just no way to live.
    I stopped in at Townsend Ford the other day and took a look at the new Ranger. It's a good looking truck, to my eyes. I'm betting they'll sell a shit ton of them. Although they're probably about as spendy as an F150, so maybe not.

CoastieRon likes this.
  25. CoastieRon

CoastieRon NES Member

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I had a good trade and put $8k down, financed for 3 years and will be paid off in 2. But yeah, switching to cheap whiskey and cheap cigars is just barbaric......

But in regards to the fake hood scoop, yeah, it's one of a half dozen reasons I opted for the sport over the off road..... But I put a light in there

[​IMG]

edmorseiii and sharona like this.
  26. grizquad

grizquad NES Member

My 2012 2012 Toy Devilhorns.jpg

CoastieRon likes this.
  27. Qwikdraw45

Qwikdraw45 NES Member

Don't know. I bought it used at the local Toyota dealership. I didn't even know anything about frame issues until a co-worker with a 2006 mentioned it and asked if anything had been done about it. I called Toyota and they said the repair had been taken care of. Frame had a black oily coating on it (like undercoating), but patches would still flake off and show the rust underneath. Once winter rolled in and I kept getting in and out of the Taco bundled like an eskimo, I decided to go with a Silverado like we were using at work. A lot more "side to side room" for a fat guy bundled up like Santa. [smile]

CoastieRon likes this.
  28. Greg

Greg

Are those performance tunes or gas mileage tunes ?

Only complaint with my old Tacoma and my new 4Runner is the shitty gas mileage.

29. wilson911

wilson911

Anyone have issues getting it out of 4x4?

I have a 2016 sr5 and lately when I turn back to 2wd, the green light just flashes constantly and stays in 4high.....eventually will kick back to 2x4 but takes a while (15 minutes, at different speeds, going through all gears including R)

Am I doing something wrong?

30. CoastieRon

CoastieRon NES Member

I would call the dealer on that. Crazy.

wilson911 likes this.