1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Toyota 4X4 Owners thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by CoastieRon, Jan 10, 2019.

1. CoastieRon

CoastieRon NES Member

I had a 2000 Tundra. Traded it in with 187k miles for a 2007 Audi A4. At the time I traded it in, I had the 2000 Tundra and a 2009 Tundra (the one I traded in for my Taco). Here is the only digital picture I could find of the 2000:

200 tundra.jpg

I really liked that truck, until the frame rusted out.

I'm changing the name of this thread to the Toyota Truck Owners thread... LOL

Here is a pic of the truck I traded in. 2009 Tundra, had 125k miles on it

2009 Tundra.jpg

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019

2. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

Alas, I gave my 06 Tundra to my SIL. I'm a Toyota truckowner no more.

I did see a jacked up recent-model black Tundra with a cap. At first glance, it had that "Hi, I buy Dodge trucks and my winkle is really small" look to it. Then I realized same problem, just not a Dodge. It wasn't a good look at all for Toyota. :(. And yeah, the guy was 1/4 the way into an intersection he was trying to muscle through instead of waiting patiently. Go figure, huh?

CoastieRon likes this.
  3. new guy

new guy NES Member

Question for the group: Do I get to refer to my 4Runner as a truck, or do I have to call it an SUV, or a car or something? Does body on frame count for anything here?

mrmike7189 and CoastieRon like this.
  4. CoastieRon

CoastieRon NES Member

LMAO. Just throw it up.

mrmike7189 likes this.
  5. Dradian

Dradian

2012 TRD Sport with just over 100k miles. I guess I should start taking more pictures of my truck, this is the only one I have.

Attached Files:

Dakar652 likes this.
  6. Dakar652

Dakar652 NES Member

Looks like a Tundra to me [rofl]

Dradian likes this.
  7. new guy

new guy NES Member

Just a stock '10 Trail. This was it new. The only mods I've really done are running boards, +3 car seats in the back, and I've had the whole back seat area professionally splattered with yogurt and lollipop drips.

[​IMG]

I really was just looking for thoughts on calling it a truck, which I think sounds better, but my wife rolls her eyes.

ridleyman and CoastieRon like this.
  8. NHKevin

NHKevin NES Member

Currently drive a '12 Tundra - bought it new, now has 90k miles and going strong.

Previously, have owned:
    '92-ish Toyota Truck regular cab, short bed, 4x4 (didn't call 'em Tacoma yet)
    '06 Tundra 4x4 Waltripp edition
    '98-ish 4Runner 4x4
    '06-ish 4Runner 4x4 V-8
    '08-ish FJ Cruiser 4x4

CoastieRon likes this.
  9. Brin747

Brin747 NES Member

I perpetually have this argument (jokingly) with my son, who insists on calling mine an "SUV" and only his 2003 Tundra is a "truck". I'm with you...body on frame means it's a truck versus one of those silly crossover deals...

hpm and new guy like this.
  10. fshalor

fshalor NES Member

Have a 2003 4 runner v6 4.0 and 2011 Tundra 5.7L TRD.

Next upgrades on the Tundra are some Bilsten 5100s and EBC brakes

The 4r is all EBC green stuff pads and EBC rotors. Made a huge difference and seems immune to the salt

Ham radio install got ripped out of the 4r to move to tundra, but will both back in since we decided to keep it.

AT/2's on the 4r and LTX MS/2 on the tundra. Which will be replaced with AT/2s.

11. fshalor

fshalor NES Member

It's a truck frame. Solid rear axle and truck motor and transmission.

Body on frame + the above . It's a truck.

mrmike7189, hpm and new guy like this.
  12. new guy

new guy NES Member

Good. I should close the poll now and report victory to my wife before someone disagrees. [laugh]

I'm due for tires. The wife has been driving the T4R on weekdays, with the three boys basically destroying it. She wants a new ride, and I'm thinking of dumping my sedan and commuting into the city in the 4Runner for as long as I can keep it running, if only because I don't want to let it go. If I go that route I want to throw some money at it - mostly a detail, tires and suspension, but who knows. I don't really need to lift it, but wouldn't be opposed to going a little more aggressive with the suspension and rubber. Any tire suggestions that fit the bill without requiring spacers, or new fenders?

13. fshalor

fshalor NES Member

Danger Will Robinson. Check your 2nd AIP system. 90k is when they love to go. Toyota doesn't recall them yet, but may some day. The bypass kit is around $200, or a few hundred more to fix yourself. Dealer is like $2.5k.

If moisture gets in and kills the valve in the air injection system, it can hurt your exhaust valves over time.

(Such a stupid design .)

We got lucky in that ours died within 200 miles of leaving the dealer we bought it from at 90k.

Verified it had been erroring before the truck was traded in and they did the work for free.

Tacos have a similar system.

14. fshalor

fshalor NES Member

The Mich At/2 s I grabbed have been absolutely awesome for the last 40k miles. I wheeled with them a little in Florida (same trails I used to do with my JK Jeep and a friend's Rubicon TJ with lockers. I had no problems without lockers due to the power and low range and grip )

Quiet on the highway, even wear. Still good tread left 40k in with spirited around town driving and a few trips to Florida and back.

If I was road only and no snow, I'd go MS/2 .but I like to be able to get dirty.

new guy likes this.
  15. Dip Dungles

Dip Dungles NES Member

16. Greg

Greg

Nice,you across from WalMart ?

What kind of bug deflector,is it a flush fit one ?

17. Lefty38-55

Lefty38-55

For those with newer Tacos and the automatic motor, how do you like it? I miss my old ‘9X Taco, a standard transmission crew cab model that had 187K on its 1st clutch (truck is STILL used as a farm vehicle), but I sold it.

Am hearing from some owners and Edmunds that the current V6 motor and auto (6-speed?) transmission is a HORRIBLE combination. My friend who has one says it drives like it is always in the wrong gear or can’t find the right one to be in.

Edmunds went so far as to say, when rated against 5 competitors, to BUY the truck, but ONLY in the standard trnsmission model.

What say you?

18. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

This is all news to me. I have noticed nothing that I thought was a problem.

19. Dip Dungles

Dip Dungles NES Member

Yessir that's the location. The bug deflector is an Auto Ventshade (25053) and I wish I hadn't bought it. It mounts underneath the hood and actually wears the hood/bumper cover down past the paint. If I wanted to give my 4Runner a decent wash I would have to remove it each time.

Greg likes this.
  20. hpm

hpm NES Member

Have a 2018 TRD Pro - added some rock sliders so far.
    [​IMG]

21. WJM

WJM

Back in the 70's I had one of these.
    FJ40-Land-Cruiser-01.jpg

22. Junior314

Junior314 NES Member

Yeah it's a bit annoying but honestly it's not worth buying the truck over.

I bought it for its capability off-road, reliability, and it holds it's value. I don't need a V8 pickup to do the stuff around the house I use my truck for and it isn't a PITA to drive in the city.

I drove the Chevy/GM variant and they just seem like milktoast to me.

23. CoastieRon

CoastieRon NES Member

The latest TSB (for the 3gen Taco) solved a lot of those gear issues. However, I am going g to be on OVTune Monday.

24. Junior314

Junior314 NES Member

Didn't realize there was a fix. Is that free and if so do I just call and schedule?

CoastieRon likes this.
  25. widnerkj

widnerkj

Still have a 1986 4Runner sitting at parents property here in southern AZ. It’s been parked for a while. So being az, everything rubber needs replaced. I’ll get around to restoring it someday maybe.

26. roccoracer

roccoracer NES Member

My Taco loves to stay in higher gears, Im guessing for the "economy". When I am driving around 35 to 40 mph I am only turning 1k rpm and it gets a slight shake. It feels like when you are driving a manual and you are in too high a gear to accelerate but do anyway.
    But It seems to be getting better as I put some miles on it. If I push the ECT button it drives great and does none of it.
    Over all I still love the truck. It is very capable off road and rides great with little road noise.
    I think it is a beautiful vehicle too.

27. CoastieRon

CoastieRon NES Member

Yes. Call and tell them you have excessive gear hunting, and understand there is a tab.

28. nastynatural

nastynatural NES Life Member NES Member

D76FDCEE-123D-45E3-927A-56A070F883C3.jpeg I have a 2017 Limited with 26k miles.

CoastieRon likes this.
  29. scatter

scatter NES Member

Here she sits in her cave, after following Mrs. scatter down to the gate to leave her Highlander there. Getting 8-12 inches of snow tonight so we figured we would stage a vehicle down the mountain. Note the full set of chains standing by. She is currently running Cooper AT3's but will probably be due for new shoes next fall. No big mods, just a bolt-in factory GPS screen and an LED bar mounted in the grill (which is currently out of service due to a recent structural failure). But she's carrying a snatch rope, a heavy set of jumper cables, couple of shackles, a get home bag, some bottled water in a freeze-proof case, and, usually, a means of self defense for her owner.:)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    CoastieRon likes this.
  30. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

I NEED the crew cab on the truck i am buying. Front for me and the Mrs, back seat for the dog. But you are right, a long bed with full crew cab is ridiculously long. But a short bed is....pretty frigin uselesss, unless they start selling framing lumber in 5' lengths that is.

I guess i have to choose one...not sure which way i will go