• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Town transfer question

qwik88

NES Member
Second time doing this but on the form it says to mail to the town that issued the license should I send to that town or the town I'm moving from?

Do as it says. The town that issued it owns that LTC until expiration. If the town you are moving from didn't issue it, there is no legal requirement to notify them of anything.

Both in that sense may have meant new town and issuing town. I concur with Len. If this isn't your second move since obtaining or renewing your LTC, you aren't moving within the same town, and your current town didn't issue the LTC, the you don't have a duty to inform the current town. You inform the issuing town and the new town you're moving to, and the FRB. I suggest doing certified mail with return receipt.

Really?

Please cite the law that does that?

Does the print that I bolded below not apply to MGL C. 140, Section 131(l) and the OP's question?:

(l) The executive director of the criminal history systems board shall send electronically or by first class mail to the holder of each such license to carry firearms, a notice of the expiration of such license not less than 90 days prior to such expiration and shall enclose therein a form for the renewal of such license. The form for renewal shall include an affidavit in which the applicant shall verify that the applicant has not lost any firearms or had any firearms stolen from the applicant since the date of the applicant's last renewal or issuance. The taking of fingerprints shall not be required in issuing the renewal of a license if the renewal applicant's fingerprints are on file with the department of the state police. Any licensee shall notify, in writing, the licensing authority who issued said license, the chief of police into whose jurisdiction the licensee moves and the executive director of the criminal history systems board of any change of address. Such notification shall be made by certified mail within 30 days of its occurrence. Failure to so notify shall be cause for revocation or suspension of said license. The commissioner of criminal justice information services shall provide electronic notice of expiration only upon the request of a cardholder. A request for electronic notice of expiration shall be forwarded to the department on a form furnished by the commissioner. Any electronic address maintained by the department for the purpose of providing electronic notice of expiration shall be considered a firearms record and shall not be disclosed except as provided in section 10 of chapter 66.

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section131

Glockster30, what you highlighted is exactly what I stated and not what was stated or implied by your statement that I questioned. Re-read what you wrote above, perhaps you didn't state what you really meant?

Glockster30, what you highlighted is exactly what I stated and not what was stated or implied by your statement that I questioned. Re-read what you wrote above, perhaps you didn't state what you really meant?

Len, I wasn't posting in response to your first post. My first post was in response to the OP's question that asked if he needed to notify the town that he was moving to with regard to an LTC issued by another town. Did I misunderstand his question?

Len, I wasn't posting in response to your first post. My first post was in response to the OP's question that asked if he needed to notify the town that he was moving to with regard to an LTC issued by another town. Did I misunderstand his question?

OK, I think that you understand the question and issue properly but what I read "notify them both" . . . my interpretation was that you were stating to notify the town he moved out of (who didn't issue the LTC).

So now that we've thoroughly confused the OP [laugh] I'll lay out what is required:

- Notification to PD that issued the LTC/FID,

- Notification to the PD that you move to, and

- Notification to the FRB in Chelsea.

- All MUST be done by Certified Mail ONLY. We suggest you request a receipt from each.

The above is what is required by MGL. No special forms or copies of LTC are required. A letter with pertinent info meets the law, however someone generated a form and a few PDs think it is required by law when it isn't.

So I don't send it to the town I moved to that didn't issue the license I send it to the town that issued the license and the town I'm moving to correct?

So I don't send it to the town I moved to that didn't issue the license I send it to the town that issued the license and the town I'm moving to correct?
The question was answered several times in this thread. Look at post #3 of this thread, click the link to the document, read what it says, and act accordingly.

Back
Top Bottom