Tourist, 43, took an AR-15 and handgun to Disney World because he was worried about his family's safety during BLM protests in Orlando

I like the way the guy thinks. But I think he should have made sure he didn’t get caught though, Im glad they didn’t make a huge deal out of it.
Someone was thinking that if they did they may also draw light to the staff rifling through people's luggage .

Last edited:
I wondered why the rifle was stored separately. My guess as to why "the rifle was stored at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge." A webserach indicates they have wild animals in the Lodge area and I suspect it is, therefore, licensed as a "zoo'. and would thus have rifles and shotguns. I suspect that the handgun was taken to "Security" for their storage or ready handgun safe and suspect that they don't have any long guns.

Zoos have rifles, shotguns and response team protocols, so the Animal Kingdom Lodge, if my guesses are correct, would have 'secure storage' (lockers or safes) for their long guns.

DANGER AT THE ZOO: Weapons Response Teams -. From that link:

From a story in the St Petersburg Times: http://www.sptimes.com/2006/08/24/Tampabay/Zookeeper_likely_to_f.shtml

The team armed themselves with four guns from a locked cabinet kept in the general curator’s office. Salisbury carried a 12-gauge shotgun. The remaining staff carried two .375 rifles and a 30.06 rifle.
Also from that link the SOP from the North Carolina Zoo: https://www.aazk.org/wp-content/uploads/Animal-Escape-Preparedness.pdf. That document lists, among others, six Winchester Model 70s in .375 H&H and 6 Winchester Model 1300s in 12 gauge.

The Disney Cruise Line ticketing lines are actually more secure than airport ticket counters,
because the magnetometers are at the building entrance. And of course all of your checked
luggage is x-rayed as well. (I can never relax on a cruise until hours after we board,
because until the checked luggage is delivered to the room, I have no idea whether
they'll have confiscated my Power Squid as a forbidden extension cord. Fuhgeddabout
bringing so much as a swiss army knife aboard ship in checked luggage).

Sooo...sooner or later the in-park lodging will put a security cordon between the parking lots
and the hotel entrances. It's only a matter of time. Not only is Corporate Loss Management
wicked serious, it's a lead pipe cinch that the Headloppers would love to cause
a Mass Casualty Event at Disney. I'm sure they don't want a Las Vegas, either.
But if there is one private company that has access to fusion centers,
I'd bet on Disney. And I suspect that they have a very realistic appreciation
for the relative odds of various threats.

The Disney Cruise Line ticketing lines are actually more secure than airport ticket counters,
because the magnetometers are at the building entrance. And of course all of your checked
luggage is x-rayed as well. (I can never relax on a cruise until hours after we board,
because until the checked luggage is delivered to the room, I have no idea whether
they'll have confiscated my Power Squid as a forbidden extension cord. Fuhgeddabout
bringing so much as a swiss army knife aboard ship in checked luggage).

Sooo...sooner or later the in-park lodging will put a security cordon between the parking lots
and the hotel entrances. It's only a matter of time. Not only is Corporate Loss Management
wicked serious, it's a lead pipe cinch that the Headloppers would love to cause
a Mass Casualty Event at Disney. I'm sure they don't want a Las Vegas, either.
But if there is one private company that has access to fusion centers,
I'd bet on Disney. And I suspect that they have a very realistic appreciation
for the relative odds of various threats.

I'm not so sure. The monorail security is a bit of a pain. But it takes seconds at the resorts like the Poly. Get your temp check, walk thru the metal detector that ALWAYS goes off. Check your murse. Funny aside: My daughter watched the temp checkers all week - she said that EVERYONE registered 98.8 or something. LOL. Like EVERY SINGLE PERSON. Not a decimal of deviation. LOL

But I can't see them getting even CRAZIER with security unless something even bigger than the nightclub shooting taking place.

Oh, and for those who go to Diz, I will say this: The safari ride is 100X better than it was 20 years ago. It is non-stop animals now. It used to be a few animals hiding in the grass. They've added so many species to the park it's amazing. I was pleasantly surprised.

I'm not so sure. The monorail security is a bit of a pain. But it takes seconds at the resorts like the Poly. Get your temp check, walk thru the metal detector that ALWAYS goes off. Check your murse. Funny aside: My daughter watched the temp checkers all week - she said that EVERYONE registered 98.8 or something. LOL. Like EVERY SINGLE PERSON. Not a decimal of deviation. LOL
Inconceivable they haven't received threats incessantly since 9/11.

I wouldn't be surprised in the least
if some actual attacks had been nipped in the bud.
Of course the Florida congressional delegation would ensure that
DHS kept their mouths shut if they had.

Luckily, the One Time we've been to WDW, it was a day trip;
a Disney bus shuttle from Port Canaveral.
And that was a port call - not a pre-/post-cruise add-on.

So I couldn't have tripped the metal detectors because
I was coming straight from the ship and was clean as a hound's tooth.
(The ship has magnetometers and x-rays at the top of every gang-plank;
you even get scanned re-boarding from their Castaway Cay private island).

But I can't see them getting even CRAZIER with security unless something even bigger than the nightclub shooting taking place.
You only see the tip of the iceberg.

First thought - 110 rounds doesn’t sound like the happiest place on earth. But with the ammo shortage, oh well.

Second thought - an AE, a handgun and a half dozen boxes of ammo isn’t heavy. Even if he tacticooled his AR out, it isn’t that heavy as far as luggage goes.

Third thought - this is a good reason not to go to Disney. My family has been tryin to win me over but: Florida, heat, expense, crowds have had me say NO. With a no gun policy and sneaky fingered help, NFW am I going. I don’t care how much I want to meet Rosetta in Pixie Hollow.

Tourist, 43, took an AR-15 and handgun to Disney World because he was worried about his family's safety during BLM protests in Orlando
  • Police said man, 43, brought an AR-15 and pistol to Disney World in September
  • The man reportedly told police that he brought the weapons to the amusement park because he was worried about his family’s safety during protests
  • At the time, demonstrators took to the streets to protest the police shooting death of 22-year-old Salaythis Melvin
  • 'No arrests were made because no laws were broken,' the Orange County Sheriff’s Office said, adding that the man had a concealed weapon permit
Florida police said a tourist took an AR-15 and 9mm handgun to Walt Disney World because he was worried about his family's safety during Black Lives Matter protests in Orlando last month.

According to the Orange County Sheriff’s Office, the 43-year-old man and his family checked into the Polynesian Village Resort during the Labor Day weekend.

Deputies said the man also had three rifle magazines with 90 rounds and two 9mm magazines with 20 rounds. The guns and ammunition was stashed in his tennis bag during check-in.

Seems like he would have been outgunned bringing such a pithy armament.

So.. he was not walking around Disney World, in any of the parks or going on a roller coaster with an AR on his back and a 9mm on his hip..

he brought it with him into the Hotel on Disney property. Presumably he drove there and did not want to leave his guns in the car in the hotel parking lot?

seems like a non story here..

moral... don’t let the bell boy carry your guns in their cases up to your room.
Yup. Non story. No laws were broken.

These threads are getting old.

It's nice to vacation when on vacation thats what bell boys provide a service to help with vacation. I don't think I'd want to vacation with you I can just imagine carrying your 5 bags to the room so you can skin flint.
Wow, that is a little aggressive.

1-5 - you'd have to be blind to not see these things.

6 is basically "double secret probation."

7. ??? Sounds like they're padding to get to 10. LOL

8. Uhhh, duh. Ever see the wave pool at Typhoon Lagoon??? They average one hospital visit a day. A DAY! Disney has it's own police and fire force.

9. More duh.

10. See 8.

So all they said was "here are the 8 things you'll see right on your own while wandering the park AND are likely in every venue you go in these days that is the same or near sized. Magic Bands are designed to track you - duh. Although not as well as you'd think b/c only about 50% of people have them so it doesn't provide us with good security data, but gets you some added perks on newer rides that can sense your bands. . . . and we've got this secret stuff we won't tell you about."

Security is vital b/c one bad incident and they are F'd. Given how much revenue the parks bring into DIS, it's important to keep it all running. We went to Downtown Disney (now named something else) this year - something we haven't done in a decade. WOW. You actually can't get INTO DTD without going thru security now. Huge parking garages out front. Screenings on the way in. Made a lot of sense. Although it lost it's "smallness" that I enjoyed when my girls were little. Now it's a glorified mall with high end stores and restaurants.

It's a pretty bad article. You want to see something heavily staffed up - go down there now and take a look at how many people are rushing around and cleaning these days.

8. Uhhh, duh. Ever see the wave pool at Typhoon Lagoon??? They average one hospital visit a day. A DAY! Disney has it's own police and fire force.
On the same port call, a sister-in-law brushed her arm against a chain link fence
walking the periphery of a parking lot, and a diked wire sliced her a good one.
Hello, First Aid. Very impressive bleeding, but really not much of a cut.
And she's a veterinarian, so she knows her way around things that bleed.
Good times, good times.

LOL

Last time we were at Typhoon Lagoon, they had to shut teh wave pool down for 10 min while carting someone out of there. Broken bones of some sort. It is not a safe place to be. If you can catch Class Action Park on HBO, it's very similar. Very big. Fairly deep. VERY aggressive waves. VERY crowded at times. All of that = big problems. I don't get why they don't shut it down or dial it back. I guess when you control the whole town, you can hide the injuries and such.

If that was me and the bell boy admitted that he opened my bags, I want to know what happen to my Cartier watch I had in their and new neckless I purchased as a surprise for my wife.
That gag only works once.
They probably have a special room studded with webcams
for breaking into luggage that feels like contraband.
You can probably even buy a photo montage of your luggage
from them on a USB stick for only $240+tax.

About five or six years ago I got a nice cash bonus. We thought about taking the kids to Disney. They wanted no part of it, they were teenagers at the time. We ended up going to Cedar Point in Ohio most roller coasters in the country. They had a blast for a tenth of the cost of Disney. We have enough money left over the wife and I did a week in Jamaica

Tourist, 43, took an AR-15 and handgun to Disney World...
View attachment 400256

I have that shirt! (Wally-World) I found it in Kohls about 18 years ago. I ONLY wear my WallyWorld T-shirt to Disney. So it's gotten very few wears in the last 18 years.

I've also got my Sam the Eagle shirt for Disney. (A salute to all nations but mainly America.). And there is one more. I forget. Funny to walk around with odd non-Disney shirts that relate somehow. Everyone is wearing their favorite Disney-purchased merch. I come in being unique.

About five or six years ago I got a nice cash bonus. We thought about taking the kids to Disney. They wanted no part of it, they were teenagers at the time. We ended up going to Cedar Point in Ohio most roller coasters in the country. They had a blast for a tenth of the cost of Disney. We have enough money left over the wife and I did a week in Jamaica

If you have teenagers that haven't grown up with Disneyworld, it's probably not an attraction. And coaster freaks are NOT going to like Disney. The WORST coaster in Disney is a mild one at Cedar Point.

BUT. . . . Disney has stepped up their non-coaster rides something FIERCE in the last 5 years. They are completely changing the ride experience for people. Universal is going to have invest a ton to keep up.

I've got 2 adult daughters that LOVE the fireworks and the characters and the parades. Disney isn't about rides. It's about the experience. They grew up as Disney princesses. So we end up going back time and time again. LOL

I ONLY wear my WallyWorld T-shirt to Disney. So it's gotten very few wears in the last 18 years.

I went to Disney World for the first time (in my 50-odd years) in the middle of March this year. Not a scheduled trip, more of an ancillary.
Well it was Epcot, not the main park and it was interesting. Spent the whole day there. Funny thing was, I went for just one day and the next day the entire Disney Parks were shut down for Covid. I have that way with things...

Place was packed because they had announced the shutdown and folks who had travelled there were scrambling to see everything (more than typically, I was told).

I got a "First-Timer" button...

1602858941457.png

So.. he was not walking around Disney World, in any of the parks or going on a roller coaster with an AR on his back and a 9mm on his hip..

he brought it with him into the Hotel on Disney property. Presumably he drove there and did not want to leave his guns in the car in the hotel parking lot?

seems like a non story here..

moral... don’t let the bell boy carry your guns in their cases up to your room.
YUP!

Where America goes to worship a rat
[rofl]

Back
Top Bottom