Tourist, 43, took an AR-15 and handgun to Disney World because he was worried about his family's safety during BLM protests in Orlando

Reptile

NES Member
Tourist, 43, took an AR-15 and handgun to Disney World because he was worried about his family's safety during BLM protests in Orlando
  • Police said man, 43, brought an AR-15 and pistol to Disney World in September
  • The man reportedly told police that he brought the weapons to the amusement park because he was worried about his family’s safety during protests
  • At the time, demonstrators took to the streets to protest the police shooting death of 22-year-old Salaythis Melvin
  • 'No arrests were made because no laws were broken,' the Orange County Sheriff’s Office said, adding that the man had a concealed weapon permit
Florida police said a tourist took an AR-15 and 9mm handgun to Walt Disney World because he was worried about his family's safety during Black Lives Matter protests in Orlando last month.

According to the Orange County Sheriff’s Office, the 43-year-old man and his family checked into the Polynesian Village Resort during the Labor Day weekend.

Deputies said the man also had three rifle magazines with 90 rounds and two 9mm magazines with 20 rounds. The guns and ammunition was stashed in his tennis bag during check-in.

So.. he was not walking around Disney World, in any of the parks or going on a roller coaster with an AR on his back and a 9mm on his hip..

he brought it with him into the Hotel on Disney property. Presumably he drove there and did not want to leave his guns in the car in the hotel parking lot?

seems like a non story here..

moral... don’t let the bell boy carry your guns in their cases up to your room.

So the disney employee went through the bags because they felt heavy?

do the bell boys go through EVERYBODY’s bags?

I’d kind of like to know how this works? Does the bell boy carry the “heavy” bag. And say. Hey this is heavy. I’m going to stop carrying this up to this jerk’s room. Open up the bag and see if there is anything interesting in there?

but a family, with kids, going to Disney for a few days.. a “heavy” bag raises alarms? Fishing, golfin, scuba, etc..Hell a whole bag full of sex toys.. lots of hobbies a family could take part in around that area. Especially with COVID paranoia could easily account for heavy bags.. what raised alarms over THIS bag that required a bell boy to violate their privacy and search it.

Last edited:
Guy is lucky the Mouse didn't give the thumbs down to the Sheriff. Disney is as close to a sovereign nation inside of the US borders as anything can get, hence why they use Orange County Sheriffs and FHP instead of Orlando PD. Orlando PD has no jurisdiction inside Reedy Creek.

Why did he not just leave a small lock on the zipper? Why are bell boys a thing still?

It's nice to vacation when on vacation thats what bell boys provide a service to help with vacation. I don't think I'd want to vacation with you I can just imagine carrying your 5 bags to the room so you can skin flint.

It's nice to vacation when on vacation thats what bell boys provide a service to help with vacation. I don't think I'd want to vacation with you I can just imagine carrying your 5 bags to the room so you can skin flint.

Nah im that girl who is not afraid to minimize down to 2 suitcases. That is it one small carry on and one large one.

Oh and P.S. my cry havoc QRB BCM AR rifle will be in my backpack on me with a small lock

Security at Disney was all tightened up after the Pulse Night Club shooting. The guy was in Disney Springs the night before scoping it out.

Wonder if the guy was banned from Disney properties forever. Last time I was at Disney World our bags were delivered to our room by an employee driving a golf cart with a small trailer attached. This was a good 10 years ago

Another reason to stay away (like I need another).
Jill and I visited WDW. We also took a cruise to the Carribean. Metal detectors everywhere. Cold Steel non-metallic "Nightshade" blades were my EDCs during that time. Lightweight and compact, they hide easily in the back of a belt or a waistband under a shirt.

Interesting that he stayed and continued his vacation. Knowing Disney I would have thought an ejection and lifetime ban I was coming.

Guns stored in Animal Kingdom Lodge, interesting.

With Bellboys randomly opening peoples luggage, I wonder how many items go missing????

HA! We were there not 2 weeks later.

I'm assuming he was doing it b/c he feared OUTSIDE Disney. Because good freaking luck finding the Polynesian as a protestor. The only way to truly find it is to get lost wandering through Central Parking. ROFL!!!!

Best bet during Disney Insurrection, if at Poly is to hop the Monorail 1 stop to Grand Floridian. Hide in the NBA area. I bet they have KILLER security.

HA! We were there not 2 weeks later.

I'm assuming he was doing it b/c he feared OUTSIDE Disney. Because good freaking luck finding the Polynesian as a protestor. The only way to truly find it is to get lost wandering through Central Parking. ROFL!!!!

Best bet during Disney Insurrection, if at Poly is to hop the Monorail 1 stop to Grand Floridian. Hide in the NBA area. I bet they have KILLER security.

You'll find me commandeering a boat and heading for Discovery Island.

Shortly after that insane guy murdered all those people the Vegas hotels came out with a no weapons in rooms policies.

2 months later was SHOT show. I've been to shot show. I've waited in line with manufacturers reps where each has 2 or 3 hard sided rolling pellican cases with them. Its pretty funny to think of. There were THOUSANDS of firearms in hotel rooms on the day before booth setup.

Back
Top Bottom