• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Torquing A2 received exfension or buffer tube

GunGrey

Banned
Is of really necessary to torque the receiver extension for an A1/A2 stock?

Some places suggest goin hand tight than a little more. Note this isn't a collas. Stock just a fixed one. But since watching brownells build guide it showed them torquein the extension to 35-39 ft/lbs.

Is of really necessary to torque the receiver extension for an A1/A2 stock?

Some places suggest goin hand tight than a little more. Note this isn't a collas. Stock just a fixed one. But since watching brownells build guide it showed them torquein the extension to 35-39 ft/lbs.

I have never torqued one, haven't had one loosen up yet.

to torque it is the correct way, if its only 35-39ftlbs, refer to your manufactures specs. I just snug them up good with out really cranking on it. If you have the tools to do it use them if not do your best

Last edited:
semiautosam, I edited my post. I really do not know. I have only used the torgue wrench when installing a barrel.
I would say you would have to refer to manufactures instructions and specs on your particular parts.

the best tools I ever purchased for my AR is the vise block sets found at midway,brownells ect ect

I mainly asked for the benefit of others here but your torque wrench should say if you are applying inch or foot lbs.

The Inch lb wrench would be alot smaller than the foot lb wrench FYI.

semiautosam, I edited my post. I really do not know. I have only used the torgue wrench when installing a barrel.
I would say you would have to refer to manufactures instructions and specs on your particular parts.

the best tools I ever purchased for my AR is the vise block sets found at midway,brownells ect ect

Inch pounds or Foot Pounds ?

35-39 ft-lbs. (That's for the rifle only; the lockring for a carbine tube gets way less torque.)

(Reference: p199 of TM9-1005-319-23, the M16/M4 tech manual. There should be PDFs all over the net, but I can upload one if not. It's pretty good reading if a bit repetitive; it goes over everything.)

Last edited:
Im not very good @ telling people what they need for tools specs ect ect. I would much rather have them apply the directions and specs along with proper tools themself for the task at hand.....there are torque wrenches in inlbs ftlbs newton meters and im sure there are some others to boot. You also have some torque wrenches that only will apply torque in one direction.
OP asked if you really needed to torque ? I say no but if you have 0 mechanical skills maybe the proper tools are in order along with clear directions.
I have only assemble 6 ARs so far 1st 2 with nothing more than a cheap punch set, brass hammer, screw drivers, pliers and a hunk of old carpet. I then puchased the vise blocks and multi wrench for the AR with both 1/2 and 3/8 drive abilities for the torque wrench. I have only torqued the barrel nut on one build that I installed the barrel.

Back
Top Bottom