• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Torque wrench recommendation please...

I've been using a 1/2" mac torque wrench for about 30 years. Nice unit. No love for Harbor Freight?
Definitely not “love” but didn’t have a 1/4” wrench and they had one on sale for $10. It includes a calibration certificate. Tested it first then used it to torque a bunch of bolts on my motorcycle and seems to work fine.

If you scroll to 4:40 he tests one and finds it quite accurate: 42, 40, and 40 when set to 40 in lbs: he tested from 20-80 and got good results.

You are supposed to back them off when done, which I always forget. My 3/8 and 1/2” wrenches are from Matco, around $300 new these days.

View: https://youtu.be/pzqJZbhnC8A

Clever!

View: https://youtu.be/XaqBA-xSGbc

Last edited:
Definitely not “love” but didn’t have a 1/4” wrench and they had one on sale for $10. It includes a calibration certificate. Tested it first then used it to torque a bunch of bolts on my motorcycle and seems to work fine.

If you scroll to 4:40 he tests one and finds it quite accurate: 42, 40, and 40 when set to 40 in lbs: he tested from 20-80 and got good results.

You are supposed to back them off when done, which I always forget. My 3/8 and 1/2” wrenches are from Matco, around $300 new these days.

View: https://youtu.be/pzqJZbhnC8A

Clever!

View: https://youtu.be/XaqBA-xSGbc

I have had conflicting opions on the "back off the adjustment"
one of my teacher stated that the fixed ones dont need to be backed off why would you "need" to back off adjustable ones.
I dont think its going to matter much over all I do back off the ones I dont use regularly. My one at work that gets used daily is constantly getting adjusted so any spring fatigue will be from flat out use.
everyone is a bit different on care. If your wrench is going to sit months maybe years between use maybe back it down.

I'd recommend a Craftsman model 1019 Laboratory edition, signature series torque wrench. The kind used by Cal Tech High Energy physicists, and NASA engineers. They are dead-on balls accurate (it's an industry term).

One of my favorite movies. I quote it far too often and sadly many people have no idea what I’m talking about.

Thanks, that was very useful to know.

I'm wondering if it would be more feasible to get two with overlapping ranges? Say 10-50, 40-100 if that sort of thing exists?

Really what I'm looking for is a torque wrench (or wrenches) that will cover scope mounting up to action screws. I'd like to keep the cost under 150 but can stretch to 200 if needed.

For my precision rifle I have 2 preset torque wrenches from Seekonk.

One is for the rings, and one is for the base.

They are the size of my hand and fit easily into a range box.

I have Harbor freight for home use. I opened them, tried them against my much nicer torque wrenches at work, found them to be satisfactory, and always back them off.
My smallest 3/8" torque wrench is micrometer style, and I always back that one off too. The bigger one and the 1/2" one are split-beam style and do not need to be backed off, but I usually do out of habit.

Discontinued but available on the big auction site at half price. Just enter the part number in the search bar. "OTC 3833-25"

What are the increments, 1 in/lb or 2?
Also, is there any review of them anywhere? I found one rating on Amazon, and that was it.

this tekton looks decent for any gun related jobs. i saw amazon had it for $29 yesterday evening. i went to order it today and it's 39. but still decent price for a tool that won't get heavy use.

10-80 ft/lbs seems a bit much. Tekton has an in/lb version?

What are the increments, 1 in/lb or 2?
Also, is there any review of them anywhere? I found one rating on Amazon, and that was it.

I can confirm on Tuesday, but I'm pretty sure it's graduated in 2 in-lb increments. The slider has no detents so you could theoretically slide it to somewhere in between increments, but they are tiny. I don't think I'd worry much about 1 in-lb here or there on a gun.

A really low-tech, low maintenance alternative is the old beam style torque wrench. Something like this: 1/4" Dr 0-100 In Lbs Seekonk Handle Type Torque Deflecting Beam - STS-100-1/4 though, I have no experience with this brand, and in-use, this style of wrench is only good if you can see the scale while in use.

On the plus side, no batteries, no unwinding. Just keep it in the case when not in use.

Or, Precision Instruments (manufacturer of Snap-on split-beam style torque wrenches) makes a line of dial type wrenches, I'm sure you could find one in your desired range.

Last edited:
I use this on on my motorcycles;
More love for Justin Amash! ;)

That one is ft-lb. They do make a 1/4" version that would meet the OP's needs.

Back
Top Bottom