Top Tens: Machine Guns

Tonight on the Military Channel the Top Tens Season Premiere is starting with Machine Guns. It starts at 10pm channel 253(comcast)

It should be a good show. I wonder what they will name #1?

I agree the M-2 has to be the winner. The MG-42/43 is also probably pretty high, I bet there will be a few of the early ones like the British guns Vickers, Maxim, Lewis....

It's about machine guns, so the AK, AR, etc. are out.

M2
MG42
BAR
something like that.

Geeze, I'd go either M2 or M60. There are just so many.

On second thought, has be the M2. I loved firing those things. Fixing them, not so much.

From my experience with this weapon platform, its not a Machine Gun its a automatic Cannon.

An automated Automatic Cannon.

I've had the privillage of watching live fire demonstrations of a Phalinx, Apache 30mm chain gun (a fixed gunnery trainer) and a 30mm A-10 cannon being fired.

The firepower of these weapons is unmistakable and unbelievable. They are massive cannons.

Several years back (12-15, hard to remember) at a American Legion machine gun shoot (they don't hold them in NH any more that I know of) I had the fortune to fire a GE Mini-gun. My god father bought me a 100rd belt of ammunition from a guy who was allowing people to shoot his.

It doesn't "sound" like a machine gun, it sounds like someone hit a steel pan with a hammer and then sustained that sound. And at 3000rd / minute (when set for "slow-fire") 100rds lasts 2-seconds of sustained fire. I managed to get 5 "bursts" by tapping the trigger while the barrels were up to speed.

Thats not exactly correct, try 1/3 of that cyclic rate.

That gun would gernade itself at 1500 RPM.

http://www.inetres.com/gp/military/infantry/mg/M2.html
Sustained: Less than 40 rds/min, in bursts of five to seven rounds
Rapid: More than 40 rds/min, fired in bursts of five to seven rounds
Cyclic: 450-550 rds/min

If not the m2 its kind of hard to beat 1500 rounds/min and under 10 second barrel change. So what was #1?

The Top 10 Close Combat one was nice. I loved the Kriss Super V......45 ACP with minimal recoil? What's not to love? I saw it in the shop but couldn't justify it.

Back
Top Bottom