08- 1903 Springfield (USA)
07- Steyr- AUG (AUSTRIA)
06- Mauser K98 (GERMANY)
05- FN-FAL (BELGIUM)
04- M1 Garand (USA)
03- Lee Enfield SMLE (UK)
02- M16 (USA)
01- AK47 (RUSSIA)

I watched the show last night: pretty interesting. Not sure if I agree with their criteria for determining the "Best", though. How does the Stg 44 and the AUG even get on the list? I'd think the HK-series or the SKS might be better choices.

I would agree with the top four. Maybe not the order in which they are placed, though.

I think they should have narrowed it to classes with bolt actions in one, and semi/full autos in another. They went by production, years in service, etc. in determining which was better.

I watched the show last night: pretty interesting. Not sure if I agree with their criteria for determining the "Best", though. How does the Stg 44 and the AUG even get on the list? I'd think the HK-series or the SKS might be better choices.

I would agree with the top four. Maybe not the order in which they are placed, though.

The STG-44 I would guess made the list because it was the first true assault rifle - select fire, removable magazine, intermediate cartridge.

Just my guess.

I'm surprised that the Garand was so far down the list - while I'm of the opinion that the AK-47 is a good choice for the #1 slot (based mainly on it being so pervasive and still in use more than 50 years after introduction), I would have put the Garand at #2 - I mean, the first semi-automatic rifle issued to troops en masse falls behind the poodleshooter???

dreppucci007,
Sorry man, Tivo didn't catch it. Either my wife recordeed something else (possible) or my son arrived home late in an altered state of consciousness (most likely) and canceled it in order to watch his damn Japanese cartoons.
The thing is, he won't remember if he did it or not!
Either we dropped him on his head 1 too many times...or not enough!

Back
Top Bottom