• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Top Ten Combat Rifles

JonJ

NES Member
8PM tonight Oct 3rd on the Military Channel.
rifles175.jpg

http://military.discovery.com/convergence/topten/rifles/tunein.html?clik=Top Ten_leftnav

Sometimes I miss not being able to watch TV.

What is the list?

Based on scientific analyses, expert opinion, audience polls and technical comparison, we construct a five-point matrix to rank the ten best of all time. Will the veteran Mauser 98, the latest M-16, the infamous AK-47, or another surprise infantry weapon win the battle to be crowned number one in the Top Ten Combat Rifles of all time?

You'll have to find a friend who has a "wretched stone" in his living room!

Anyone want to hazard a guess as to what the #1 choice will be? As a Patton disciple, I'd have to say the M1 Garand, however, that Mauser design was pretty radical too. Hmmmm, tough decision!

No cable here, and didn't even KNOW there was a such a thing as a "military channel".

That said, don't forget older rifles, like from Revolutionary War and Civil War days, and the one from the Zulu movies (Martini?), WWI, Arisaka, other odd but big at the time conflicts.

It's a Discovery owned channel. I have it on DirecTV. I'm sure cable systems have it but maybe it's included in an expanded basic package?
I don't have DVR so maybe someone can record it.

Military Channel is 253 on Comcast, part of Digital Plus, not part of their basic digital service.

Wanna know the sad part, Len?...We don't even have digital cable...We don't have cable boxes...Just a cable connection, and a coaxial cable going from the wall to the TV. [crying]

Wanna know the sad part, Len?...We don't even have digital cable...We don't have cable boxes...Just a cable connection, and a coaxial cable going from the wall to the TV. [crying]

That's the same setup we're on, just the over the air channels. But I'll admit that's by choice. When I see programs like this come around I can get a bit of a bug to spring for more channels, but so far I've resisted.

I don't have this level either. I do have only basic digital service, since they killed off the old plan I was grandfathered on and kicked me back to basic service.

That's the same setup we're on, just the over the air channels. But I'll admit that's by choice. When I see programs like this come around I can get a bit of a bug to spring for more channels, but so far I've resisted.

Actually, that is over the wire. I have over the air, which is the aerial antenna in the attic. Channels 2,4,5,7, sometimes 9,10,11,12 if the weather is right. Oh, and 25, 27, 38, 56, and 66.

Why do the Spanish channels have to come in the best?

Actually, that is over the wire. I have over the air, which is the aerial antenna in the attic. Channels 2,4,5,7, sometimes 9,10,11,12 if the weather is right. Oh, and 25, 27, 38, 56, and 66.

Why do the Spanish channels have to come in the best?

If we're going to be picky, "over the air channels" package.[grin] As written on my bill.

If I had the option of al acarte selection I'd probably order additional channels, but it's not worth the jump in price to get the 2 or 3 addtional channels I want.

dreppucci007,
According to the Tivo terms of service, I can make 1 copy of a show for my personal use. I will try to Tivo this show, then you can BORROW my disc.
[wink]

The Military Channel isn't that well publicized, but it's there. It's part of the Digital Package. In my system it's channel 253. Some of the stuff is good, some not so, some is new, some is pretty old, some is in between.

They do often show programs several times, and some programs are available on DVD.

Interestingly even though they've been advertising the show heavily, the on screen guide shows a completely different show.

Gary

I was surprised at how they ranked them but the whole production factor played a big part. No wonder the choice for #1 and a favorite comng at #2 but I'm sure lots here will disagree with the results.

Back
Top Bottom