• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Top Shot back tonight

Some of them got the key thing about shooting on wobbly bridges like that and some didn't. Namely, haul ass to get to the next one, but slow down a few steps before you get there and step on gently. I forget who it was, but someone hit the tire mounted one full speed and got it really moving.

That was Ashley...He didn't get the idea of stepping up instead of jumping on it.

If Acted like Ashley, when I got home all my elder family members would have been waiting to put boot to ass.
child

Add to that he was purposely rocking the plat forms as much as possible in practice, instead of trying to learn how to keep the sway/wobble to a minimum. I think that was a poor decision and strategy.

I would agree with you, but let's not forget that he had the 2nd fastest time. Douchebaggery and all that aside, 1:25 was not a poor performance.

Add to that he was purposely rocking the plat forms as much as possible in practice, instead of trying to learn how to keep the sway/wobble to a minimum. I think that was a poor decision and strategy.

I wasn't too harsh on him there. Remember that this was one of the rare occasions when the practice session very closely resembled the actual challenge. Most of the time its just an analog. I think he was preparing for the idea that he may have a platform he cannot control. Remember, Ashley did pretty well in the challenge. He was just over a minute IIRC. Something like the second or third best time. Can't critique his performance, just that 7 year old attitude of his.

I'm not 100% of what Ashley's AFSC is (it's not called MOS in the Air Force) and there are very few Special Forces AFSC's...he would either be Para Rescue, Combat Controller or Combat Weatherman. I don't know how he earned the BS but I do know that some people "earn" medals & awards for doing basically nothing. I knew an E-4 who got an MSM for being in Tops in Blue for only 1 year...WTF???

I've been very disappointed in the Air Force contestants, mainly their attitude but I wonder how much of it is creative editing (Adam looked like an ass in Season 1, but he's actually a pretty nice guy...) than actual personality. Ashley came off as very classless with Jamie and somehow George is the puppet master of their group. This season is way too much drama. I have no idea how the "couples" season will bode. If it keeps on the current course then the show will turn into any other reality program and not worth my time.

I caught some of the episode last night. What was Ashley`s claim to fame? What did he receive the Bronze Star for, being in country? Unless you have a V for valor it means nothing. I know many officers who received them for sitting in the TOC in Iraq. What was his MOS in the USAF?

I caught some of the episode last night. What was Ashley`s claim to fame? What did he receive the Bronze Star for, being in country? Unless you have a V for valor it means nothing. I know many officers who received them for sitting in the TOC in Iraq. What was his MOS in the USAF?

He doesn't have any "MOS" in the USAF, he has an "AFSC":

He is Air Force Special Operations, so either:

1C2X1 -- Combat Control (CCT)
or
1T2X1 -- Pararescue (PJ)

Either way, Although he has no class, and was a D-Bag, I will still give him credit for completing the toughest training program/schools in all the SOCOM...

That's a pretty bold statement. I know guys who were in firefights, received purple hearts and bronze stars without V's that would probably disagree with your assessment.

Ashley's resume from the Top Shot website, if this info is correct, not many on this site have any business questioning his background.

As a 10-year member of the elite Air Force Unit Special Operations Command, Ashley Spurlin has developed his shooting skills in combat--not competitions. "I've had the stress of direct combat as opposed to some people who are just competition shooters." He recently received a Bronze Star on his last deployment in Afghanistan. A graduate of the Special Forces Halo and SCUBA schools, he is used to adapting to any new weapon system with no prior training.

What got into Ashley all of the sudden? He went all George on Jamie. Not cool.

It was worse than that, actually. At least George is trying to be funny when he's a douchebag. Ashley was just being a straight up dick head. It surprised me too, because he didn't act like that the whole competition. I had a lot of respect for him before that.

now i haven't seen every episode and i hate the drama part of the show but why does everyone hate Jamie? every show i see, he shoots very well(he is in the final 6)and he seems like a nice guy? what am i missing?

now i haven't seen every episode and i hate the drama part of the show but why does everyone hate Jamie? every show i see, he shoots very well(he is in the final 6)and he seems like a nice guy? what am i missing?
I think it comes down to something along the lines of Jamie acting sketchy regarding his job in the Navy. George straght up asked him: "What do you do in the Navy?" and Jamie replied: "I'm in the Navy." He had been described, and commented on saying he was Navy EOD, Rescue Swimmer, leads the armory, etc.. But he would never tell anyone what he did, and to the other .mil guys that is sketchy. Like he was trying to act "harder" than he really is, or make people think he was a badass. Granted, he never did say he was a SEAL, but that he was attached to a SEAL unit, so Ashley got that specific part wrong.

I have understood why the .mil guys have acted twords Jamie because of how he has conducted himself. Asides from the sketchiness with his fellow servicemen, he also alienates himself! He acts like "the other dont want to play with me", but he runs off on his own, doesn't try to be part of the group or engage the other players it seems. Every shot you see of Jamie he is on the other side of the house playing with himself, by himself.

Last edited:
+1. I think he may be getting a bad OER next time through the ringer.

Maybe...but he's also representing the Air Force while he's on the show (wether he thinks so or not) and should be acting like it.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

That's a pretty bold statement. I know guys who were in firefights, received purple hearts and bronze stars without V's that would probably disagree with your assessment.

Not a bold statement, it`s fact. Most officers who deployed into a combat zone get Bronze stars. If you were in a firefight and received a Bronze Star without a V you got screwed but it usually means you were enlisted E-1 to E-4. I have 2 officers with Bronze Stars in my current unit, one was MI and the other a powerpoint Ranger. Neither saw any combat. It`s the system that Officers need the medals to get promoted more than enlisted Joes. Look back on Vietnam and see the ratio of Silver Stars to officers vs. enlisted, ie John Kerry. I was stationed on a AF Base 03-04. E-7 AF SP received one for deploying to Iraq and never saw a shot fired. He was embarrassed by the award and refused to get the license plate.

Not a bold statement, it`s fact. Most officers who deployed into a combat zone get Bronze stars. If you were in a firefight and received a Bronze Star without a V you got screwed but it usually means you were enlisted E-1 to E-4. I have 2 officers with Bronze Stars in my current unit, one was MI and the other a powerpoint Ranger. Neither saw any combat. It`s the system that Officers need the medals to get promoted more than enlisted Joes. Look back on Vietnam and see the ratio of Silver Stars to officers vs. enlisted, ie John Kerry. I was stationed on a AF Base 03-04. E-7 AF SP received one for deploying to Iraq and never saw a shot fired. He was embarrassed by the award and refused to get the license plate.

Alright dude, go tell Ashley his bronze star doesn't mean shit. [rolleyes] He's not an officer, he's been in combat, what more do you need?

badass1.jpg

I already didn't like George but when he said the FAL "sucks!" it turned to utter hatred, lol. Ashley's a-hole side was a surprise to me. I wonder if he's always been like that but the footage ended up on the cutting room floor, or if he was just turning up his "TV character" a notch.

I already didn't like George but when he said the FAL "sucks!" it turned to utter hatred, lol. Ashley's a-hole side was a surprise to me. I wonder if he's always been like that but the footage ended up on the cutting room floor, or if he was just turning up his "TV character" a notch.

From Ashley's facebook page.

"One thing I will not tolerate is someone in the military who claims to be something they are not. I do not care if it is in a bar, a mall, a fair or in front of cameras for millions of people to see or partially see due to editing. If I look like as ass, guess what? It is because in the military sometimes you have to be, especially when it comes to bullshitters. Remember, as a viewer you see only a small percentage of the real story or what really happens. Honestly, from what I have seen (up to episode 5) I am glad to be off this "show". But what really matters is that in the end, the truth always comes out, maybe tomorrow, maybe a year from now. If you see me in person, please feel free to come say hello or discuss any political issues you may have with how I acted or was depicted and I will be glad to explain. On a side note, I DO NOT recommend ever going on a reality show, even one that you think is awesome. Now I will get to the comments. Thanks, the real non fictional character!"

What got into Ashley all of the sudden? He went all George on Jamie. Not cool.

I think, in that moment, his world crashed. He was the last blue member and he knew that he was going to get singled out for elimination. But, when Joe volunteered for elimination again, he saw his salvation in Jamie. The only thing that could go wrong was the group ignoring Joe again (not likely) or Jamie winning. I'm sure he didn't give much credit to the latter happening so when it did, he was crushed. He lashed out. It was, IMO, a reaction without contemplation but that often is the biggest revelation of true character. He's a sore loser.

Alright dude, go tell Ashley his bronze star doesn't mean shit. [rolleyes] He's not an officer, he's been in combat, what more do you need?

badass1.jpg

I didn`t say his Bronze Star didn`t mean shit. I said being awarded a Bronze Star doesn`t mean shit. Depends what the certificate says it was awarded for. Big difference between keeping a cool head in Combat vs. putting together a great powerpoint brief for the Commander`s BUB.
Ashley is an a$$hole and I`d have no problem telling him that to his face. When you call someone out and then you choke and act like a baby you`re an a$$hole. I`ve only been watching bits and pieces of this years competition but the contestants acting like mean girls towards the rescue swimmer was pretty juvenile. So looking like Rambo makes you bad?

Ashley is an a$$hole and I`d have no problem telling him that to his face. When you call someone out and then you choke and act like a baby you`re an a$$hole.
Still, Jamie does deserve to be called out...

I`ve only been watching bits and pieces of this years competition but the contestants acting like mean girls towards the rescue swimmer was pretty juvenile.
You have such strong views on this topic but have only watched "bits and pieces" of this season for your knowledge.. Fail.

So looking like Rambo makes you bad?
WTF? Who said that?

Back
Top Bottom