Top Quality .22 rifles for Youth

Chris

NES Member
Just east of Zone 9, but in Worcester County.
We have several .22s at our club that have seen better days. We are looking for high quality .22s to replace them. Now that our youth rifle program has passed the 45 member mark, reliable quality rifles are a must.

Rifles need to be:

youth sized, or adjustable
.22 LR caliber
Single shot Bolt action
peep sights
Fairly low weight (unlike the DCM offerings)
High reliability
Reasonable cost.

Anyone have a favorite you want to suggest?

Right now I'm looking at some of the Kimber models as they seem to fit the bill.

Some info I gathered elsewhere:

Check out:
Model CUB - Mini Youth

Model 30G Stevens Favorite

Model MARK I-G

Sportster

ruger 10/22

Marlin

Henry

http://www.crickett.com/

http://www.roguerifle.com/

CALIBER .22 TARGET RIFLES

"CZ Scout. Little more money and a little bit bigger, but it is a really nice .22 for a kid. My son is small, but is able to shoot it just fine (off a table/bench). I bought it at Gallensons in SLC."

"If you're needing a 22 rifle for a smaller kid, the Marlin "Buckaroo" rifle. This rifle is scaled down, but not rediculously like the Chipmunk styles, and fits kids really good. It's a single-shot, and they shoot very good to boot. I've bought several for kids, and every one of them has worked perfectly, and been very accurate. I think they're running about $159 around here now."

Chris - We use CZ's at our club for our youth program. I'm exactly sure of the model #'s but there are two sizes that seem to fit all age groups. They shoot very nice, also.

Somebody should come up with a rifle kit which includes two stocks. One for kid size and one full size. That way, it can be shared, and when the kid grows up, he or she can still continue using it. A simple screw to switch stocks would do the trick.

Coyote33 said:
Somebody should come up with a rifle kit which includes two stocks. One for kid size and one full size. That way, it can be shared, and when the kid grows up, he or she can still continue using it. A simple screw to switch stocks would do the trick.

And the barrel length?

Chris....... You stated "high quality". A few questions....

1- Is the junior program geared toward competitive position shooting or just familiarizing the kids with shooting in general? If it's just to familiarize with shooting you don't need anything too fancy. If you're interested in them doing some real competition then you're going to spend some money to get a decent rifle.

2- How old are the kid's and what is the age range? What would suit a 12 year old won't suit a 15 or 16 year old.

3- How much do you have to spend for how many rifles?

If you're interested in having a first class junior program focusing on competition you might want to look into the Anschutz line. I started many years ago with a Savage-Anschutz match 64. I don't think it's still made but there must be something similar out there. You need to have a fore end rail for sling attachment.

I commend you for being involved in a junior program as that's how I got involved in shooting and have the highest of regard of all my coaches that got me into a sport that is a part of my life.

Our junior club has four old Savage Anzshutz target rifles, two left hand and two right. They've got interchangeable stocks, so they can be used by both the younger, smaller kids and by larger teens. Unfortunately, aside from the fact that they're heavy, they were no longer being made the last time I looked.

Ken

Chris said:
We have several .22s at our club that have seen better days. We are looking for high quality .22s to replace them. Now that our youth rifle program has passed the 45 member mark, reliable quality rifles are a must.

Rifles need to be:

youth sized, or adjustable
.22 LR caliber
Single shot Bolt action
peep sights
Fairly low weight (unlike the DCM offerings)
High reliability
Reasonable cost.

Anyone have a favorite you want to suggest?

Right now I'm looking at some of the Kimber models as they seem to fit the bill.

Plug #3 for the CZ 452 Scout. It has everything but the peep sights. Eric Brooks sells sight blades to turn them into ghost ring sights.

The CZ 452 rifles are great .22's!!! I have the "American" model myself, with a Simmons Adjustable Objective 3-9x32 scope, and can shoot 1/2" groups at 50 yards all day with the right ammo. Heard nothing but great things about the Scout model as well.

I also got the Eric Brooks trigger kit and brought the trigger down to less than a pound - nice....

Anyone interersted should check out www.rimfirecentral.com and do a search on CZ rifles.

KK

Chris - We use CZ's at our club for our youth program. I'm exactly sure of the model #'s but there are two sizes that seem to fit all age groups. They shoot very nice, also.
Im am looking for a 10 22 youth stock.my wife is really small and needs a youth style..any idea what to look for ? Do you know a model name i can look up
Thanks dave

Im am looking for a 10 22 youth stock.my wife is really small and needs a youth style..any idea what to look for ? Do you know a model name i can look up
Thanks dave
16 year old thread, old enough to drive lol this must be some kind of a record.

Back
Top Bottom