• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Top notch holsters

I'm looking to shell out the money for a new high-end holster for my CCW. Conventional wisdom holds that it's some of the best money one can spend. I should have listened.

Nonetheless, I'd like to hear your experience with acquiring your high-end, daily carry holster. I doesn't have to be custom made, I'm just talking about a cut above the standard $75 kydex paddle tac hostler (insert brand du jour). Comfort is paramount. I am already well accustomed to the weight of the Sig and 13 rounds of ammo (plus another mag holder on the belt) so what I am looking for is something that, in addition to being super comfortable, will support the weight of the weapon well. I understand that it may involve a significant wait and a few buck as well, so I'm particularly interested in hearing about how you acquired the holster as well as the brand name and cost etc. For the record, it will hold a Sig 229/.40 w.Rail and I am looking for an IWB style.

Note. If you have a snappy holster to fit the described weapon in good condition, just hanging around, and you're willing to part with it, you can PM me an offer and we'll talk about it. But, this thread is primarily meant to be a "quality holster" aggregate info thread, which others might benefit from, so let's keep messages limited PM.

I like my Milt Sparks leather - very well made, comfortable holsters. Occasionally, Midway USA will have a couple in stock. Otherwise it's a 2-4 month wait time.

I don't tend to go for kydex, but I've been seeing rave reviews of a new holster company - Raven Concealment. They make a convertible OWB/IWB and accessories that seem pretty well thought out.

Mitch Rosen in Manchester N.H. has some great holsters. You can't beat their express line, about a 3-5 week wait and their cheap.

I just got a Leather IWB clip on for my 1911 commander and it also has a steel reinforced mouth. I think it cost me about $80.00..

This lil' Highnoon is definately a "Top notch holster". I liked it the second I layed hands on it and the leather is only going to get better with use. It is a perfect fit on the gun(already) w/ draw tension adj. and flat as hell
Here have a look:
DSC00776.jpg

DSC00777.jpg

DSC00794.jpg

DSC00781.jpg

DSC00783.jpg

you already mentioned coming for some shooting. Wait an try my Alessi holster for my sig 226

Here is a couple pics of the same model I use for a revolver.

Comfortable, well made, concealable under a tee shirt, and access is smooth and easy. I have used this model for some time. Cost about $120 wait about 6 months + or - but worth it.

IWB003.jpg

IWB001.jpg

IWB002.jpg

Edit to add: Buy a Galco Royal Guard to hold you over until the Alessi arrives.

My IWB holsters of choice are a K&D Cochise Defender for my M&P 9c and my Milt Sparks Versa Max II for my P99/P99c. I believe the Milt Sparks to be a better holster, but it's spendy. And waity - a couple months ago I ordered another VM2 for a Walther PPS and I actually expect the Massachusetts EOPS list to approve the PPS before Milt Sparks ships my holster!

Don't forget a good belt as part of the system. Make sure your holster is made to suit your belt width - your results wont be as good if you use a 1.25" belt with a holster made for a 1.5" belt.

Good luck.

I have tried many IWB and the best for my body type was the Minotaur MTAC Holster. It retains and hides an M&P .40c well. It also works well for my Beretta 92FS (have a spare body that I can switch out so that the frame will work for both guns).

Gunbelt is also critical. I picked up one made from two pieces of bull hide. Not all that flexible, but does support the gun well.

I've had a Kramer 1-1/2 IWB holster in horsehide that I've been using for about 15 years, still in great shape. I was happy enough to find anyone that would make me a left hand IWB for an HK P7M8, but I've never regretted going with Kramer. Since Kramer counts on the stiffness and close fit of the leather to retain the pistol, it will take some break in time until you can get a smooth draw, but it's still retaining perfectly for me years later.

Not cheap - I think I paid around $90 when I got mine, and they're up to $132. Not a quick on & off, the belt has to be threaded through those loops, but very comfortable with the stabilizing paddle on the holster. If you want an angled IWB, look at their model 2 or 3 IWB.

Edit to add: Buy a Galco Royal Guard to hold you over until the Alessi arrives.

I don't think they carry it any more, but you might be able to pick it up locally (I got one for my j frame at AG in lowel). The summer comfort replaced it I think (it's cheaper, cow not horse. can't replace the belt loops).

Mitch Rosen in Manchester N.H. has some great holsters. You can't beat their express line, about a 3-5 week wait and their cheap.

I just got a Leather IWB clip on for my 1911 commander and it also has a steel reinforced mouth. I think it cost me about $80.00..

+1 on Mitch. Shortly after I picked up my G27, I called Mitch and he had a CLP designed for the G27 in-house. I picked it up and couldn't be happier.

http://www.mitchrosen.com/

I've got Milt Sparks for most of my pistols. I'm not a gun "trader". Once I buy a gun, I expect to keep it for life, so I don't mind spending good money for the best holsters - they are also expected to last a lifetime.

Lately, I've been buying the horsehide with sharkskin trim. Very sharp looking.

Last time I ordered one from Tony, it took about 6 months to come.

Regards
John

I just ordered a Fist #19. I've read nothing but great things on sigforum. $67 for a nice leather piece. Add kydex hybrid for $40.

Remember that the belt has a lot to do with the comfort of the holster and how the whole system works.

Don't neglect a top quality belt. I suggest "The Beltman" and his horsehide belts. They run about $75, and worth every penny. You'll have them forever.

Try as many IWB and you can before you spend big money. Different strokes for different folks.

That Allessi that Round Gun Shooter showed looks real good. While I use a Milt Sparks and a Custom Rusty Sherrick, I think I'm going to look into that holster as well.

Last edited:
I second both "The Beltman's" belts and the Comp-Tac Minotaur MTAC IWB. I very much like the hybrid kydex/leather style for comfort (even sans undershirt) and ease of use (smooth draw, very easy reholstering). The low-cost, quick turnaround, and interchangeable half-bodies on the MTAC sealed the deal for me. My 1911 and full-size S&W M&P 9 both disappear in that rig. I use the C-clips which work fine, but I would like to try velcro instead at some point. Anyone with v-clip experiences (good or bad)?

I do wish they made a half-body for my snub Ruger SP101, but that may not be feasable with a hybrid approach (I saw they do have the all-kydex CTAC for it).

GunnersAlley.com has a page of factory second, overstock and used holsters that's worth keeping an eye on. I've ordered from them a couple times with good results. They carry a couple different brands, sell their own belts as well. Most of the stuff I've bought has been Don Hume, which I like. Solid mid-range holsters, functional and comfortable, but not necessarily good looking.

I use the C-clips which work fine, but I would like to try velcro instead at some point. Anyone with v-clip experiences (good or bad)?

I use the v-clips with a Beltman belt. They work fine: no shifting and they don't show if I tuck in my shirt. I think they're more stable than the regular clips.

Back
Top Bottom