• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Top 3 Guns (make and model) EVERY American should own....

At the end of World War One roughly 75% of US troops were actually armed with the M1917 Enfield rifle. It is a fantastic rifle and no US collection is complete without one. I find it superior to the 1903 although one could argue the 1903A3 is comparable.

Me too. I prefer cock-on-closing over the 03’s Mauseriffic cock-on-opening action, and I like the sights a lot better too.

Completely agree with this. I have two complete matching from Remington & Eddystone and one arsenal refurbished Winchester that with Johnson Automatic barrel and parkerized finish. Don't get me wrong, the original 1903 is a great rifle, but being a stricter Mauser clone I really have no preference one way or the other 1903 over the standard Gew98 contemporary. As you said the 1903A3 with the improvements, especially to the sighting system, is far more favorably compared.
Now all things being equal. If we're talking strictly Definitely AR platform either 5.56 or .308 (not saying don't have those fancy calibers just don't be one of those fancy people that in the event only has ONE rifle only available to them in 6.8/300AAC and what not.) Service pistol which for me currently is a P30L LEM and a shotgun (current favorite is a Beretta 1301 marine with tube extension and bolt release shroud)
If we're talking strictly for the sake of being an AMERICAN, every American should own an AR, 1911, M1/1903/1917 (to taste) historical service rifle to taste. Because who doesn't like apple pie and baseball?
Me too. I prefer cock-on-closing over the 03’s Mauseriffic cock-on-opening action, and I like the sights a lot better too.
Yes, 1903 is still a fine rifle; just in it's plain 1903 form is not as good as the 1917, with the sights playing a bit part. You could also argue that its slightly longer overall length is advantage in trench warfare as it increases reach with bayonet, etc.

The realistic answer, without nostalgia, is a .22LR rifle, a 12-gauge shotgun, and a Glock 19.

The .22 is the ubiquitous small game harvesting and training tool. The vast majority of Americans live on a budget and other, bigger rifles are dead weights. In contrast, a M1903 or a M1917 or a Garand or a M1A/M14 doesn't give the average gun owner much value. Those guns are around $700-1000 at the low end and go up to whatever you please on the high end. You can't use a .30-06 or a .308 for home defense unless you own vast amounts of surrounding land and you're defending yourself outside of the home - try shooting a .30-06 or a .308 indoors at night. Besides, bolt actions are obsolete except in very narrow circumstances like big game hunting or precision marksmanship. Most people don't have the time or money to become precision marksmen or CMP grand masters or big game hunters. What about an AR or AK? That would be a fourth gun and this list is restricted to three. But almost everyone can afford .22 rifles and ammo.

I don't think there's much debate about the 12-gauge but if you think a pistol grip Mossberg is a viable tool, please put down your crack pipe and go attempt actually using such a gun.

The Glock 19 will get the job done at a decent price for almost all possible jobs where a pistol is necessary. Concealed carry? Check. Open carry? Check. Woods gun? Check. Competition? Check. Teaching newbs to shoot after introducing them to a .22? Check. Home defense? Check.

That being said, Americans have the freedom to buy what they want and do what they want, so we shouldn't be telling people what they should own. We're 50 states for a reason - Americans like choice and freedom.

The realistic answer, without nostalgia, is a .22LR rifle, a 12-gauge shotgun, and a Glock 19.

The .22 is the ubiquitous small game harvesting and training tool. The vast majority of Americans live on a budget and other, bigger rifles are dead weights. In contrast, a M1903 or a M1917 or a Garand or a M1A/M14 doesn't give the average gun owner much value. Those guns are around $700-1000 at the low end and go up to whatever you please on the high end. You can't use a .30-06 or a .308 for home defense unless you own vast amounts of surrounding land and you're defending yourself outside of the home - try shooting a .30-06 or a .308 indoors at night. Besides, bolt actions are obsolete except in very narrow circumstances like big game hunting or precision marksmanship. Most people don't have the time or money to become precision marksmen or CMP grand masters or big game hunters. What about an AR or AK? That would be a fourth gun and this list is restricted to three. But almost everyone can afford .22 rifles and ammo.

I don't think there's much debate about the 12-gauge but if you think a pistol grip Mossberg is a viable tool, please put down your crack pipe and go attempt actually using such a gun.

The Glock 19 will get the job done at a decent price for almost all possible jobs where a pistol is necessary. Concealed carry? Check. Open carry? Check. Woods gun? Check. Competition? Check. Teaching newbs to shoot after introducing them to a .22? Check. Home defense? Check.

That being said, Americans have the freedom to buy what they want and do what they want, so we shouldn't be telling people what they should own. We're 50 states for a reason - Americans like choice and freedom.

Completely agree with this sentiment which is why I gave 2 separate lists of three to include that which I wouldn’t want in a worst case scenario but has value whether sentimental or not. Also made me laugh that somebody’s actually said a shockwave on a prior page

Any 3 guns you can hit what you're aiming at.

Except AK's, Mosins, or any of that other Soviet-block junk. Take your commie, whore, beet-eating ass and climb on the next ox cart to Moscow.

Pump .12 gauge (500, 590, 870) Endless configurations, cheap, reliable.
Remington 700 (some are quite fancy nowadays) For going down town if need be.
GP100- Eats .38's and .357's

Any 3 guns you can hit what you're aiming at.

Except AK's, Mosins, or any of that other Soviet-block junk. Take your commie, whore, beet-eating ass and climb on the next ox cart to Moscow.
What about the roughly two million US-made Mosins from Westinghouse and Remington?

You first. :D You’re closer.

View attachment 302932

I've spent a few nights in Moscow. Good companionship. [wink]

moscow_id.gif

Last edited:
Simo Hayha seemed to do okay with his.

But. It’s not a must-have for me either. I took one in trade once and never really liked it.
I wonder if anybody ever asked him in later life if he was given the the hypothetical choice (which would include logistics, acquiring ammo, etc), would he have rather used the generally more accurate Mauser or Springfield? Probably wouldn't have mattered. As I understand it, he did not use a scope, preferring the iron sights.

While there isn't much solution for the sights, if you don't have a Swedish Mauser they're cock-on-close. Have an M96 and M94 carbine. Awesome rifles as well especially with that cartridge.
Scar
Archon type b
Glock 19
Actually not sure, but isn't the Archon Type B basically also a Glock?
I wonder if anybody ever asked him in later life if he was given the the hypothetical choice (which would include logistics, acquiring ammo, etc), would he have rather used the generally more accurate Mauser or Springfield? Probably wouldn't have mattered. As I understand it, he did not use a scope, preferring the iron sights.
He'd probably say he preferred his Suomi M31 since a massive chunk of his kills was with one of those.

While there isn't much solution for the sights, if you don't have a Swedish Mauser they're cock-on-close. Have an M96 and M94 carbine. Awesome rifles as well especially with that cartridge.

Actually not sure, but isn't the Archon Type B basically also a Glock?

He'd probably say he preferred his Suomi M31 since a massive chunk of his kills was with one of those.
The archon type b, is very different from a Glock 19, I own both, the archon is a very nice pistol

Make and model is really not important, but everyone should have...

Scoped rifle - Rem 700/ Winchester model 70/ Savage 100 etc.
Patrol Rifle - AK/AR/Sig 556/SCAR
Shotgun - 870/500 etc
Duty pistol - Sig 220-226-229/Glock 17-19-21/ Colt 1911/ 686 etc.

Once you have the four food groups covered, lather, rinse, repeat. Maybe repeat a few times.
Then start buying fun stuff. Lever guns, big revolvers, concealed carry guns, milsurps, gear, reloading set up....

If I absolutely had to pick three, and only three, by make and model, it would be:
Colt AR -15
Mossy 500
S&W 686

Remington 870 w/ multiple barrels. 18: HD barrel, Rifled deer barrel, and 16" vent rib barrel w/ an assortment of chokes.
I was going to suggest a 10/22, but am changing it up

A .45 caliber 1911, with a .22lr conversion
An AR with multiple uppers (including a .22lr)

Keeps it to just the three guns but with a lot of flexibility.

If we could go up to five I'd add a revolver and a bolt action rifle.

Back
Top Bottom