• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Top 3 Guns (make and model) EVERY American should own....

Pretty much the same as what's been stated.

AR with 556, 308 long barrel conversion and 22 conversion for rabbits.
Glock G19
Shotgun with short and long barrel.

Defense and food covered.

Woah, wtf was that for? Every American shouldn't own a gun - especially if they can't shoot it. I wouldn't trust every American's ability to shoot a .22 pistol or rifle.

Dude, you need to pump the brakes a bit or you aren't going to last long on this board talking like that. That right there is a typical argument used by all antis. Also, there was no need to call out a long standing member here, who was just trying to share his opinion. Why would you take it as a personal attack?

Dude, you need to pump the brakes a bit or you aren't going to last long on this board talking like that. That right there is a typical argument used by all antis. Also, there was no need to call out a long standing member here, who was just trying to share his opinion. Why would you take it as a personal attack?

I just want to know why I was singled out for suggesting AR/AK would be inferior to .308 as a suggestion of what people, who want to own guns, should own. He could have easily singled out someone, under the same argumentative pretense, for choosing a .45 over a .38 spl or 9mm or a 12 ga. over a 20 ga. It is obvious, and did not need to be stated, that nobody should "have" to own a gun that they don't have the skills or training to shoot. Maybe he took an insult to AR's too personally.

I don't care how long someone has been around. It was comment addressed to me, so I responded.

Also: is it taboo here to believe people should have choice to be a gun owner and not have it forced upon them? Do you believe that someone who, reasonably and justly, has been adjudicated as a potential danger to society or innocents have a gun? Yes, I said reasonably and justly - since some people will read that statement and interpret it incorrectly - that means not just in the opinion of a single court or judge, but someone who truly, without a doubt, would pose a danger to innocent civilians if given a gun (think terrorist, sociopath, or psychopath).

And you - feel free to give your advice, but if you mean to say that I won't "last long" because people might disagree with me - if you mean to intimidate me into not saying whatever I want to say - if you would go so far as to say I should keep my mouth shut and not speak my opinion or whatever is on my mind, then you should read that ONE amendment which our great and wise forefathers decided to put FIRST, even before ensuring the government never infringe our "God given" / natural right to defend ourselves and loved ones by the most effective means available at the time.

Enough of that, you can take your thread back, if anyone has any further comments you would like to address to me, or some bizarre issue to take up with me, feel free to send me a private message.

Last edited:
I was merely giving you some "friendly advice" since you are obviously a newbie. I still am not sure why you took it so personally just because the guy happened to quote your post. It happens all the time in discussion boards to make a point, but is not necessarily "calling out" that individual. Your comments are of the type that will definitely stir up arguments here, so unless you are trying to troll here, I would suggest keeping opinions about "who should have the right to own/use firearms" to yourself. Personally, I'm not offended by your opinion, but many here will be as you will find out soon enough.[laugh]

An American should own an AR15, Remington 870, Colt 1911

A Russian should own an AK47, Saiga 12, (insert Russian pistol of choice)

An Austrian should own a Steyr AUG, (insert Austrian shotgun/rifle of choice), Glock

My personal list would be an AR15, Saiga 12, and a Glock. I wonder what that says about me.

if you would go so far as to say I should keep my mouth shut and not speak my opinion or whatever is on my mind, then you should read that ONE amendment which our great and wise forefathers decided to put FIRST..
Something to think about: since this board is private property, the first amendment does not apply.

Something to think about: since this board is private property, the first amendment does not apply.

True enough and if it is indeed the dictate of the owner that freedom be suppressed, so be it, that is the natural right of Sovereignty over one's own property.

I would simply find that... a most unfortunate microcosmic example of how power can be used to stifle free discourse.

Last edited:
True enough and if it is indeed the dictate of the owner that freedom be suppressed, so be it, that is the natural right of Sovereignty over one's own property.

I would simply find that... a most unfortunate microcosmic example of how power can be used to stifle free discourse.

Whoa, whoa, my well spoken, misguided , newbie friend. Before you casting aspersions about the owner of this forum and views about freedom and power, I would strongly suggest that you do a little homework about the guy and the steps he has taken to support freedom for this country and our shooting community.

And if ever your opinion is suppressed, it will not be in an effort to limit your freedom or to stifle discourse, it will be to prevent you from being a douchebag. And if you care about your freedom and your rights, I might suggest you become a Green member and support the cause rather than just show up and tell members how things should be. Welcome to NES

And if ever your opinion is suppressed, it will not be in an effort to limit your freedom or to stifle discourse, it will be to prevent you from being a douchebag.
That's what I have seen.

And if you care about your freedom and your rights, I might suggest you become a Green member and support the cause rather than just show up and tell members how things should be. Welcome to NES
Membership does have its privileges.

Woah, wtf was that for? Every American shouldn't own a gun - especially if they can't shoot it. I wouldn't trust every American's ability to shoot a .22 pistol or rifle.

gillette,

It wasn't a personal attack, or a defense of an AR/AK. It was a reminder of the original question. "What 3 guns should EVERY American own?" I picked out your post because you were discounting the AR/AK platforms for a .308 platform as they're your preference rather than staying focused on the original question.

If you read my post, you'll note that I said every American should have 3 firearms - an intermediate rifle, 9mm pistol and a pump action shotgun - and maintain the training to use them effectively. I state that because I believe that it is the responsibility of every american to be prepared to defend their community, state and country from oppression.

At the founding of our country, every town maintained a militia, made up of all able bodied men, regularly trained to ensure they could effect a reasonable defense. In Massachussetts until the early 1990s there was a law on the books REQUIRING all men to carry a firearm when attending church (it was established in the late 1700s when native american attacks on church services were regular enough to be considered a problem). To enjoy the protection of a society able to defend itself without the willingness to contribute to that defense is hypocritical. So yes, I believe that every American should be provided basic firearms safety, maintaince, handling and shooting training, and the tools to defend their community, state and country. With the exception of Hawaii and Alaska, there has not been a war fought on US soil since the civil war 147 years ago. We have become complacent, expecting out military supremecy, which hasn't been challenged since WW2, to keep "war" something that happens somewhere else.

An American should own an AR15, Remington 870, Colt 1911

A Russian should own an AK47, Saiga 12, (insert Russian pistol of choice)

An Austrian should own a Steyr AUG, (insert Austrian shotgun/rifle of choice), Glock

My personal list would be an AR15, Saiga 12, and a Glock. I wonder what that says about me.
Your very international and prefer good hardware.

1. Remington 870, a good one,/ Benelli M1Super 90.
2. Preban, in Ma., AR15 with back up parts.
3. 2 glock 19's, 1 for back up.
4. A .22 rifle for hunting small game, but this thread doesn't allow for four.

#1. Mossberg Shockwave or 500 tactical. With an adjustable stock, pistol grip and a flashlight mod.

(Simply the best gun I own. For close quarters, home defense, hunting turkey or squirrel. Medium game. The boom. The different types of shells you can use from 00 buck to turkey load to rifled barrel deer shells to basic stuff. A 12 guage shotgun is must have #1 for a collector and hobbyist)

#2. Smith or Colt revolver. "Peace Maker" snub nose.

(Personal carry. Only has 6 rounds. But you only needed 4 lol. Truly an american staple. From everyone from Wyatt Earp to Clint Eastwood. Its just pretty. I dont remember what user said it. I think it was SGTHal or the guy with the fat cop as a pic. But he said. "Ive seen plenty of ugly guns but never a truly ugly revolver". And its pretty true.

#3. M1 Garand or Springfield 1903

They are as American as old glory herself. They won us our country from the grips of tyranny twice and anyone would be honored to own one. Each gun is different. The days when no two woods were the same. The stench of 70+ year old walnut never gets old. The stories each gun could tell. Its like holding everything we stand for.

And those are the 3 I couldnt live without.

Mossberg 500 flex. (With three barrels and stock sets. Goes from tacticool to turkey, to deer, to pheasant in seconds, 12ga is most versatile thing there is from 0-100yds)

Sig p226 mk25 (exceptionally reliable, wear/corrosion resistant with coated parts and chrome lined barrel, it's everything you need, and nothing you don't, and it is good enough for the seals, and pre ban mags are relatively cheap and plentiful)

A minty 1903A3 in 30-06 (remington 03a3 action is very strong, it's a great fighting rifle, they are very accurate, have great iron sights, it's a cool conversation piece, and 30-06 is versatile, easy to find, and gets the job done on anything in north america and most things outside of north america)

#

#3. M1 Garand or Springfield 1903

They are as American as old glory herself. They won us our country from the grips of tyranny twice and anyone would be honored to own one. Each gun is different. The days when no two woods were the same. The stench of 70+ year old walnut never gets old. The stories each gun could tell. Its like holding everything we stand for.
At the end of World War One roughly 75% of US troops were actually armed with the M1917 Enfield rifle. It is a fantastic rifle and no US collection is complete without one. I find it superior to the 1903 although one could argue the 1903A3 is comparable.

At the end of World War One roughly 75% of US troops were actually armed with the M1917 Enfield rifle. It is a fantastic rifle and no US collection is complete without one. I find it superior to the 1903 although one could argue the 1903A3 is comparable.
Completely agree with this. I have two complete matching from Remington & Eddystone and one arsenal refurbished Winchester that with Johnson Automatic barrel and parkerized finish. Don't get me wrong, the original 1903 is a great rifle, but being a stricter Mauser clone I really have no preference one way or the other 1903 over the standard Gew98 contemporary. As you said the 1903A3 with the improvements, especially to the sighting system, is far more favorably compared.
Now all things being equal. If we're talking strictly Definitely AR platform either 5.56 or .308 (not saying don't have those fancy calibers just don't be one of those fancy people that in the event only has ONE rifle only available to them in 6.8/300AAC and what not.) Service pistol which for me currently is a P30L LEM and a shotgun (current favorite is a Beretta 1301 marine with tube extension and bolt release shroud)
If we're talking strictly for the sake of being an AMERICAN, every American should own an AR, 1911, M1/1903/1917 (to taste) historical service rifle to taste. Because who doesn't like apple pie and baseball?

1. Mid-full size semi auto pistol with rail. I’ll pick a Glock 19
2. 12ga shotgun. I like Mossberg so probably a 500 with a 28”barrel cut for chokes and an 18” cylinder barrel.
3. An AR15 of reasonably good quality.

Honorable mentions: either a .22 rifle or pistol, both semi auto. After that a very small concealable pistol and a .30 rifle would be just specialized enough to cover most practical applications.

You can have a very complete practical collection with like 4-7 guns.

Back
Top Bottom