Top 2 guns you wish you NEVER bought?

Star Super B

i overpaid for it.

It wouldn't extract so i replaced the extractor(ebay) and spring. still wouldn't extract, so i custom machined a new extractor with a better "tooth", worked great for a few mags until the mag catch broke and now i cant find one for sale anywhere.

now it extracts and ejects reliably, but the slide wont lock back when empty

if anyone knows a source of parts please let me know.

Walther P22:
Total POS. Never once made it through a whole mag without jamming up at least once (even with CCI Mini-Mags). I tried and tried to get that thing to run but even the types of jams were inconsistent.

Beretta 9000s 9mm:
Don't know what I was thinking when I bought that thing. DA trigger was like 16 lbs. and the controls were tiny and stiff.

None actually though I've purchased some of the ones mentioned here. A couple would be a WASR-10 and a S&W PPK/s.

I spent a rainy day reworking the wood and metal on the WASR and got rid of the mag wobble. I also stripped the bolt of blueing and gave it a high polish. It cost about $250.00 at the time including a sling, 2 mags, oiler. I spent another $20.00 on a real leather AK sling, grip, some china red stain. I had everything else on the shelves. The trigger was fine (no slap) and the barrel wasn't canted. With cheap steel case ammunition, it'll do 3-4 MOA. with decent brass case, it shrinks to 2.

AK-1.JPG

On the PPK/s, with all my reading on it before buying, most of the issues seemed to revolve around the feed ramps and poor ammunition selection. The feed ramps were polished to a mirror finish and I use only FMJ 90-100 grain European (hotter), preferably S&B. It has never failed. I tried a few times to make it fail like holding it as loose as I could without having it fly out of my hand. I usually rapid fire by flipping the decocker on the first round as that's how it's carried. All blacks on the ten with my right hand. I'm lefty. I can't really work the decocker with my left hand. No real learning curve as I shoot with both hands as some firearms I own two of. It is stainless. It's just reflecting a black object.

somesmiths_zps3be9d790.JPG

Last edited:
#1 M&P 45. What a POS.

#2 Glock 21. Too big for my hands, blocky, ugly..... Not many redeeming qualities.
I have three G21's. I rotate as my daily carry, I don't want any hurt feelings amongst my Tupperware.
I'm sure they'd welcome another sibling, how much do you want for yours?

Kahr P9. Snappy. High bore axis for its class. Steel mags don't immediately drop free until either mags or mag well is worn. Several hundred rounds through mine and some of my mags still don't drop free when empty. Said mags are kind of pricey and only 7 rounds. Stock mag feed lips/follower combo sucks and often cause feeding issues (nose dives) and/or loose rounds in the pocket. The trigger. Some actually like it. It is indeed smooth, but soooo frigging long with an extremely light reset that can be missed if not paying attention. Very poor after market modification support. Barrel and slide both scratch way too easily. Worst of all, this gun isn't cheap, which is my main regret for buying something pricey that ended up being a safe queen in favor of a used $275. Shield.

Walther PPK. Bought it used at four seasons on a whim because it was cheap. Jammomatic + safety coming on by itself + slide bite = paperweight. The issues are easily fixable but I haven’t bothered. I took it to the range once and it’s been in the safe for the past 5 years.

Para LDA Carry. I won it at Original Bobs in one of their raffles. Beautiful looking gun and lots of fun to shoot. My wife really liked it too. But it went back to Para 3 times to be fixed. Those guys really earned their reputation for making crap! After the third time I got rid of it and bought a S&W 1911 E-Series instead, which was a vast improvement. It was fun for a $20 gun while I owned it though.

These are My 2 .... but they both kind of ended up working out in the long run:

1.) A Sig mosquito.
I Bought one new back around 2006 (I think). It was a total jammo-matic. A 1 shot semi auto pistol.
Sent it back and Sig had it for like 6 months, then they finally sent me a completely different and newer mosquito with a note that they decided to just replace it.

I Still have the new replacement one. I have a gemtech threaded barrel on it now and a 22 suppressor. The new mosquito works as pretty much any .22 semi auto pistol does.

2.) Kahr P45.
Bought new. First trip out with it and the slide started shredding the polymer receiver.
Sent it back to Kahr. Got it back in reasonable time and its been fine since. Its one of my summer carry guns.

Last edited:
Speaking of Para.... I'm surprised that nobody in this thread has said "Para Warthog". Probably one of the worst guns ever manufactured in modern history....

Maybe they're more embarrassed than us former AMT Back-Up owners.... [rofl]

-Mike
Never say AMT Back Up. It's been decades and I'm still trying to forget.

I was completely new to shooting and gun stores...

Para Ordnance P12-45. I actually shot it very well and never malfunctioned on me. But it had the thickest grip of any auto I’ve ever used and would never have concealed well. Duh.

On the opposite end of the coin...Seecamp 32. That sure concealed well, and the gun was very well made. But I hate the caliber and trying to find it at the LGS. Also not pleasant to shoot (practice) with.

Yugo sks, bought it when I was 18 and had my FID. It shoots fine but I still hate it.

Sig Mosquito, it's never fired a full mag

ketltec p32; back to the factory twice: still broken. lucky the dealer gave me a full refund towards a new gun
beretta 32 cal tomcat; two chunky and underpowered for it's size. luck to get my money back in private sale after it was not allowed due to ma compliance

HK VP9 and Sig 938. Runner up Sig p320 subcompact.
Completely unremarkable guns. I could be easily convinced to sell these but I'll hang on to them as long as I have shelf space.

Probably my first gun, a Sig P226. Like a newb walking into a car dealer to buy a brand new car, I now realize I grossly overpaid. Love the gun and don't see myself getting rid of it but should have probably just picked it up slightly used and saved hundreds as they're easy to find in MA.

Also, I guess my CZ 2075 RAMI too. Was deadset on it being my carry gun but its just too heavy for its size. It's just collecting dust in my safe now as I've turned over to the Glock side.

I love all my guns. My Ruger 10/22 has been fairly gay lately. I hope I fixed it. I'm aware .22lr is supposed to be a very inconsistent round. But I get a stovepipe just about each mag at this point. I believe it's because the gun was so new that the spring was too stiff so I racked it out a few thousand times and put lube. Left it with the bolt back for a few weeks to weaken the spring. Hopefully it won't come back as fast now thus letting the expended shell escape before it can stovepipe.

Just my idea.

If not, i'm disassembling it and lubing stuff. If that doesn't work off to Ruger it goes.

Mossberg 500

giphy.gif

tenor.gif

UnfitWeirdIndianjackal-size_restricted.gif

Mossberg 500? You mean.. THE mossberg 500?

As in Moss derived from the dutch word Mos, meaning a small flowerless green plant which lacks true roots, growing in low carpets or rounded cushions in damp habitats and reproducing by means of spores released from stalked capsules. In conjuction with Berg, German or Dutch: topographic name for someone who lived on or by a hill or mountain. Hence nearby much moss. Mossberg.

Mossberg founded in 1919.

The same Mossberg 500 that our troops trusted? The same very Mossberg 500 that is probably the most well respected, highest sold and customizable and revered Shotgun in the entire hobby?

You mean THIS bad Sally?

mossberg-500-tactical-adjustable-stock-pump-shotgun-1134166-3.jpg

The freaking Mossberg 500 folks. The shotgun that can go from duck to tactical in 3 seconds. So simple, so tried and true.. So durable. The standard in 12 guage shotgun and the most famous platform of shotgun in the country if not world? The mossberg 500?

How? Just how? Please give me a fair reason. I just can't fathom. The mossberg 500 is my favorite gun.

I guess different strokes. But I can't see how it could be top 2 regretted guns. I'd have sex with mine if it wouldn't be bad for it's longevity.

Honest to God, I kinda wish I never bought the Hi Point carbine 9mm.

Don't get me wrong!! It's an excellent way to get in the 9mm rifle game for dirt cheap. It was made during the AWB in the 90's, so there are zero state restrictions on it. I recommend it for all beginners. I just wish I knew that I would be a gun addict in the near future.

That's really it. I don't regret anything else I've bought. I'm very careful with my purchases and have resisted impulse purchases several times.

A ruger sr1911: awesome gun had no issues. Just felt like I was settling. Always wanted a SA operator 1911.

Cz p10c : this pistol shoots great, but I bought it with the hype saying it’s a Glock killer and it wasn’t.
Should try a CZ PO-7. With Omega trigger system you can convert to cocked and locked ( included with gun ) and get a incredibly accurate gun with one of the best triggers going.

Seecamp .32. Pretty gun, but f*** that thing, lol.
AMT Back UP DAO in .380.... dog meat
Can you elaborate on what you disliked about the Seecamp? Also be interested to hear anyone else's experience with the Seecamp. I have a Sig P239 that I'm very pleased with but I don't always have the inclination to put my IWB holster on and lug that gun around. I can picture myself pocketing the Seecamp more frequently but would like to hear others experiences. Thanks! Winston

Its funny. I don't have any real regrets. Every gun that I really disliked, I was able to sell for a good profit after a few years.

For example, an Arsenal AK74 that I bought for $600, I sold at auction on Gunbroker for $1800 after Newtown. In fact, after newtown, I cleared out every magazine fed semi-auto I owned that I didn't really enjoy shooting or didn't have sentimental value.

Can you elaborate on what you disliked about the Seecamp? Also be interested to hear anyone else's experience with the Seecamp. I have a Sig P239 that I'm very pleased with but I don't always have the inclination to put my IWB holster on and lug that gun around. I can picture myself pocketing the Seecamp more frequently but would like to hear others experiences. Thanks! Winston

I loved my Seecamp 32. But this was in the context of the 1990s to early 2000s. There was nothing even closely comparable on the market. You could get a Beretta 25 that was larger and less reliable. When the KelTec P380 came out, I bought one of those. It was terrible, so I went back to the Seecamp.

The Ruger LCP was really the game changer. It was the first reasonable competitor. Seecamp sized, more reliable, more flexible with ammo choices (Seecamp required the use of Winchester Silvertips), lighter, and chambered in a larger caliber.

I actually regret selling it. It was a gorgeous little piece of man jewelry. If ever there was a pocket Barbecue gun, this was it.

Back
Top Bottom