Top 2 guns you wish you NEVER bought?

Only regret is my M&P 2.0 9mm with mass trigger... should've went with a VP9. Hoping getting an Apex trigger will help out
If you can pick up the requisite parts for a free state model from brownells you’ll save a bunch of money and still get a usable trigger.

hi point 9mm carbine.
Most people seem to speak highly of the high point carbine, looks aside. I’m a little surprised. Did it not function or does it just have trashy ergonomics? I’ve never had the courage to ask to see one at a shop...

I'll catch hell but...
Ruger 10/22 stainless
Too small
Only stainless barrel not receiver
Sold and bought a Savage btvss for the same $

Mossberg Silver Reserve
Broken firing pins every 400 or so shots.

Most people seem to speak highly of the high point carbine, looks aside. I’m a little surprised. Did it not function or does it just have trashy ergonomics? I’ve never had the courage to ask to see one at a shop...
It ran fine. But it was so cheaply made and the trigger was horrible, no preban mags available. Ended up getting a sub2000 years later.
But hey the hi point works. Especially for someone on a tight budget. Just ask this mom (skip to the 0:50 second mark)

View: https://youtu.be/vpv9tJwjmAk

Top 2? I really have no big regrets- I'm usually pretty careful about what I buy. I guess #1 would be a Para P16-40. 16 round double stack 1911 in 40 cal. Actually was a decent gun and probably should have kept it. Zero issues had me wondering why all the hate on Para Ordnance. #1 regret only because I took a bath when selling. Most stuff I have sold has always been close to break even, give or take a little.

#2 Ruger LCR in .357. Actually very nice snubbie, but as usual for me I could not hit the broad side of a barn with it. The gun was fine- I just suck at shooting snubbie revolvers. I should have at least bought a heavy snubbie as I would be more effective when throwing it at a bad guy.

My first handgun. A Grizzly in .45 rem. magnum. I was used to the recoil of the 9 mil pistols in the military. Shooting a .45 bullet (230 gr) out of a 6 inch 1911 style gun was... Shall we say "different"?

Sig P250. Massive stove piping issue
Must be a grip issue or something. I put at least 2k steel rounds through it, no cleaning. Shoots fine, never had a malfunction.
There's nothing wrong with it, in fact, it's a tackdriver and soft shooting like a 22. If you're broke, it's great. If you're somewhat of an enthusiast, you're gonna want more. Once your collection expands, you'll want to upgrade. Not me, I like squeezing as much fun out of it as possible.
#2 Ruger LCR in .357.
Not a fan of carpal tunnel?

1. Marlin XT-22
I got this years ago when I wanted a tube fed bolt action .22 rifle. I watched some videos and read forms where people were all talking up the microgroove rifling Marlin uses in their .22's and how accurate theirs were. Me, not wanting an inaccurate rifle bought it. $270 total price, tax included and nearly a month long wait to get it. That was the last time I ever bought a gun from an LGS, ever since I buy online and the guns show up within a week, guaranteed.

The rifle shoots like shit. I can't get under 2 inches at 50 yards with any ammo, but I take my Ruger Charger to the range and it's half an inch at 50 all day with any ammo and much smaller and lighter than the XT-22. The stock on the XT is the cheapest f***ing plastic I've ever felt, the iron sights are terrible, it's unwieldy unless fired off a rest. It's got a nice Accutrigger, but that's about it.

Some say that Marlin has improved their quality, but I'm not taking the chance. The brand is dead to me, as is Remington.

2. Leinad over/under .410 derringer.
My two biggest problems with this gun were the sights and the safety concern. The safety issue is, because it's an over/under and not a side by side, the hammer contacts BOTH firing pins when the selector is flipped to fire the top barrel, when it's selector is set to fire the bottom barrel, it only touches the bottom barrel firing pin.

So, it's safe to shoot if you fire the bottom barrel first. Now, I've tried to fire the top barrel first with the bottom one loaded and I've never had a successful double discharge, but different primers and ammo could make it possible and I don't want to find out what happens if it does.

The front sight in the pictures before I bought it looked like it was a normal sight, but when I picked it up at the store, I saw the front sight is like a triangle, so when lining it up with the rear, you have no idea where to hold it. The single shot and side by side has a normal front sight that's square.

Besides those things that only affect the o/u model, the trigger is shit, but I knew that when I bought it and that's across all Leinad/Cobray derringers. The O/U is really flat, so it would carry well (one reason I bought it over the side by side) tho it is heavy.

And while this is a top 2, another gun I wish I hadn't bought was the first one I ever bought: A Mossberg 18" over/under. For $550, better shotguns can be bought, but why this isn't in my top two is because even though it's overpriced, it's still fun to have a double barrel shotgun.

Mosin. Bought on Saturday - shot on Sunday - sold on Monday.

Can't understand the love for these. I sold it for 20 bucks less than I paid for it.
The love was because they were so cheap for a decent one. Now the only cheap ones are the garbage ones people passed on 15+ years ago. When Mosins today cost as much as a brand new Savage Axis or Ruger American and those guns have better triggers and scope setups, not to mention better ammo, there's no reason to get a Mosin anymore.

The days of the good, cheap Mosin and SKS are over, the only thing that keeps them around is cheap ammo. Once that supply dries up, people will dump the Mosins like it's 1942.

The sleeper milsurp bolt action that people aren't thinking about are the Japanese Arisaka's, specifically the 7.7mm as .30-06 brass can be sized into 7.7 and .303 British bullets are used. The only problem is people don't like reloading, so they don't care about the Arisaka.

My Mossberg 695 bolt action 12 gauge. Loved how it shot. Could shoot 2-3 inch goups at 100 yards. The bad part was it felt like shooting a 40mm grenade launcher loaded with HE rounds. Sold it after a few years.

Came to find out a decade later that Mossberg recalled them for an issue with them discharging randomly when chambering a shell. That would've been quite the surprise at 0400 on opening day of deer season.

I'd like to hear reasons why those who said Glock 22 didn't like the Glock 22. I have two Gen 4 .40 cal Glocks and they're great, the G27 police trade in especially.

1) Hi-Point 9mm carbine. Not that I don't like it: when nobody is looking, I actually enjoy shooting it on occasion. 100% the lack of mag capacity is my actual, real problem (and I didn't know enough to know that would be an issue when I bought it, it was my third or fourth gun). I regret buying it because I can't justify getting rid of it as it functions basically flawlessly and it's not particularly inaccurate, but it really just takes up a lot of space in the safe. (I keep it because I have a hallucination of some day making a flared magwell for it, and running it as a lark in uspsa pcc).

2) P238, only because I should have gone with the 9mm version. Other than that I feel the round is underpowered despite using defensive ammo, I love the P238 platform, it's basically everything I want in my carry gun. I will upgrade at some point, I just haven't gotten around to it.

I'd like to hear reasons why those who said Glock 22 didn't like the Glock 22. I have two Gen 4 .40 cal Glocks and they're great, the G27 police trade in especially.
I personally didn't hate my G22, but I wanted a .45 and all I shoot is Glocks. A friend at the time said I'd like the 21 better and I definitely did especially since I shoot it better. I sold the 22 for a 21 and I think it was a smart decision.

AMT Back UP DAO in .380.... dog meat
OMC Backup .380 - terrible 15+# trigger pull (this was in the 1970s) and internal safety broke one day as well.
yep, forgot i owned one in .380. this would be my second regret. another piece of shit. both my regret guns were .380's.
I didn't think anyone would have the stones to admit they bought one. [laugh] Of course, I had to have one too when they first came out. It was the "must have" pocket semi-auto of its day. Incredible when you look back on it now. What the Hell was I thinking? [thinking]

I didn't think anyone would have the stones to admit they bought one. [laugh] Of course, I had to have one too when they first came out. It was the "must have" pocket semi-auto of its day. Incredible when you look back on it now. What the Hell was I thinking? [thinking]
MSP ordered a bunch as backups for their Troopers back when they first came out. I ordered it from TX, shipped to my FFL. It was my first ccw and I practiced with it every week. Terrible gun.

3 or 4 years I believe. Even though it's loosely based on a 1911 design, the safety does not extend up to catch the slide like a 1911. I've heard that some people like to be able to rack the slide with the safety on, not me. I've actually pulled it out of the holster and found a round almost ejected.

Weird. I purchased mine last year and haven’t had any issues like that. I wouldn’t want to rack the slide with the safety on as well.

KSG - sold it a month after I bought it for the same money I bought it for. It never functioned well, jammed or wouldn't feed repeatedly, and beat you like a red headed stepchild. I bought a 8 shot Mossberg Maverick to replace it, and I could have bought 3 or 4 of them for the price of the KSG.

M&P 40 - got it for a steal and trigger sucked, didn't feel like putting in a kit and I just got rid of it. that said, I like my Shield 45.

BG380 is a close contender...nice pocket pistol, but irrellevant really with all the small 9's out there now. Sold that one too.

Last edited:
Taurus. How that company stays in business is beyond me. I tried twob back when I thought buying guns from a second-rate/third world gun maker was a good idea. Both guns...the .357 revolver and the PT 22 both went back to Taurus multiple times for service before I finally just scrapped them. Complete and utter garbage.
Then it dawned on me, I would never buy a cut rate parachute or a cheap ass scuba regulator. Why the hell did I think buying a weapon made by bare foot banana pickers was a good idea? Owning a gun from a third level discount gun maker is like finding a used hot air balloon in a dumpster and heading up for a ride. It never ends well.
I should have known better when I couldn't find a single police department or military unit that carries Taurus. Not one! Not even in Brazil!

Because it's NES and its a .40. Its either not powerful enough because its not 10mm, or it's recoil will knock your teeth out because its not a 9mm. Take your pick.

Or its just going to Kaboom in your hands because its a .40 Glock.

My G22 with night sites, and pb standard capacity mags is my HD go, wouldn't want anything else on the way to the Shotgun cabinet.

Remington 11-87. I apparently bought it when Remington has just decided to totally skip quality control. Gun won’t function in sub freeing temperatures. Which makes it useless for duck hunting.

I don’t have a second gun that I regret purchasing.

As such, I am convinced that I have not purchased enough guns.

Walther PPK/S - piece of #$%!#$%, like another user said...would only fire the first round, wouldn't feed regardless of magazines.
North American Arms .22lr - fired ok, but no idea where the bullets went, literally couldn't hit a target standing 3' in front of it.

M&P full size .40 for the life of me I just could not shoot that thing accurately, even after Greg Derr got his hands on it.
A Horrific choice as my first full sized purchase LOL!

It's pretty obvious, it's chambered in .40. The guns themselves are just fine, but the cartridge sucks.

I owned a G22 Gen4. Well built. Reliable. However, like shooting a mechanical bull, good luck keeping your support hand on the gun if you don't have an oven mitt for a hand. It was the last .40 I owned. Out of all the .40 handguns I had, I only tended to shoot the HKs and Sig P229s well, despite the arguably far worse
bore axis, I could actually crush grip those things and keep my support hand on them better.

Honestly a G20 with full power 10mm is easier for me to deal with than that thing was. I think it's just from the lack of slide mass.

Signed, a guy who used to own like a half dozen or more .40 SW handguns and now has none of them. (I don't really see what the point is anymore, outside of being a cheap cartridge for guns running in USPSA limited).

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom