Top 10 Bassists of all time

fencer

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Good bass guitarists do not slap.

The results were accurate. Geddy Lee is one of the best. And he was also the vocalist and keyboard player. The others are rank amateurs in comparison. One trick ponies. Hacks that shouldn't even be mentioned in the same setting. It's like comparing Ringo Star to Mozart
Rush was one of the best shows ever. If you have seen them you would understand. And there is no one that even comes close to Neil Peart on drums.
After seeing them, you can't believe it is only 3 guys. Technically precise.

FiremanBob

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Victor Wooten is at the top of the pyramid. I've never heard any bassist combine his technical brilliance with such lyricism and expression.

KBCraig

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No particular order, but... Flea, Geddy, Victor Wooten, Carol Kaye (seriously!), Bootsy, Jojo Garza (check out some live Los Lonely Boys)...

I've been saying for years that Flea is the best all-around bassist. Others do certain things or styles better, but he's amazingly versatile.

MAGG

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
yeah anytime a magazine or website puts out a "best of " list of musicians its just that scrubs favorites...which if you put ten people in a room no one would come up with the same people. All personal preference.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
there's only Jaco. the rest are just failed guitar players...
There's something to be said for this.

I hate lists like this because they're so subjective. The scope of this list is pretty narrow, tilts to heavy metal and rewards flash and velocity (how many notes can I play in one minute) rather than musicianship and creativity. I can think of at least 10 other bassists who could arguably be on this list - Stanley Clarke, Bill Hayden, Jaco, Chris Squire...... Oh, and Geddy Lee never really impressed me.

jek

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
It occurred to me that the thread is the top bassists, doesn't say bass guitar. Given that, I would add Ron Carter, Mingus, Ray Brown, Charlie Hayden, Oscar Pettiford to name a few.

RLBreton

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
There are soooo many greats that you just can't make a top 10. Some of my favorites:

James Jamerson, Bob Babbitt, dUg Pinnick, Chris Squire, Dean Monoxelos, Mark King...CAROL KAYE?!?? STEVE HARRIS!!?!

How is Steve Harris from Maiden NOT on this list?!??

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Probably should of called it the top ten heavy metal bass players but anyway........John Paul Jones is an obvious omission. What about John McVie??? I always thought of Fleetwood/McVie as one of the best rhythm sections ever.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
no love for Chris Squire in YES?
Until he showed up, the bass was just a plodding background line to keep the beat with. He turned it into a lead instrument, and showed people that there was a treble side to the sound too.

I think he had to use huge piano stings for his bass, as the normal bass strings of that day could not produce the rich harmonics he needed

1903Collector

NES Member
Rating - 100%
72   0   0
I don't know if she would make a "list" but I always liked Aimee Mann, not just her playing but song writing too. And another vote for Steve Harris.

Last edited:

KBCraig

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neither bass nor drums should ever be used as solo instruments, and solos on either are not a good indication of how good the player is.

Sure, it shows technical skill, but both instruments are designed to hold the band together while everyone else does their thing. The best players aren't showing out; they're being in the background, but doing such an awesome job of it that you have to go look them up.

Top Bottom