Tools needed for lower reciever

What are the minimum tools I will need to make my ar-15 lower if doing it on my own? Mind you I just have a hammer, no vice or anything...Also, lube for parts, any sort of gun oil?

What Boghog said, plus some roll pin punches, although you can get by without then.

Also tape. Unless you want your receiver scratched, tape it up with something thick when you're working on the pins.

i have a little piece of aluminum rod with a hole drilled through it that i use for the detent spring and piece... works like a champ, roll the thing around and click--hardest part is done.

otherwise flathead screwdriver, needle nose pliers, non-marring hammer (if you care about being %100 pretty).

this is all without a stock, it's just the guts of the lower.

Let's see small hammer roll pin punches and I use a standard steak knife to install the pivot pin... Oh and a Allen key for the pistol grip... One can tighten the castle but on a standard m4 stock with a hammer and screwdriver or a2 stock just a flat head screwdriver. oh and the tape is a good call! Good luck feel fRee to pm any questions or I'd offer assistance in person if u r in se mass or ri!

Its not to hard, I think the little tutorial on AR15.com is about as simple as it can be.
I purchased a inexpensive derlin,brass punch and hammer set from habor frieght for like 16.00 aint the best beu worked.

Don't forget a flashlight. You'll need that when the first detent and spring shoot across the room, ricochets off the ceiling and ends up on the floor somewhere. [:^)

Seriously, a lower can be assembled with a minimum of tools at your kitchen table. Check out some of the videos on Youtube for an idea of the basic requirements.

Pivot pin detent was the easiest part of the build, no need for knives or dedicated tools... I used the pivot pin itself....
Pop in the spring and detent... Use the round side of the pin to hold the detent down, get the pin in the hole, then rotate it to the grooved side of the pin.... Easy like sunday morning......

The bitch is the bolt catch pin.... Which i snapped while trying to use vice grips/channel locks to get in.....

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G with Synergy+Godmode.

Back
Top Bottom