• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Toolbags at the range today..

My first response was to walk up to the trap house and get to the board member that is also a safety officer.
But due to my left knee being in need of replacement.
The thought of dealing with the pain of walking that distance, over this.
It was not going to happen.

To top it all off this tool wasn't even wearing his club name tag.
So no knowing exactly who he was.

I just let him finish vs elevating the situation.
Two grown men arguing with firearms about is not a smart situation to be in.

I just printed six copies of our range rules.
This Tuesday nights meeting is going to be fun.
He knows Mike, one of the board members. I hope through video they can identify him.

Last edited:
My solution at my range is to show up on a late morning in the middle of the week and bring at least 3 firearms, steel plates, and at least 500 rounds of ammo loading up both tables. I’ve been here with others and it’s always been peaceful and brotherly. I feel for your club members that are ignorant and selfish. I once was going to lock the gate behind me and a guy showed up. He waved and turned around to go home. He’s like me. I would have done the same to give personal space on such a quiet day.

We are a great club to join.
Very reasonable priced for all we offer.
I've never had any issues in my 8 or 10 years as a member.

I'm always very respectful of everyone and make sure of keeping the place cleaner than when I arrived.

We issue the gate and club house key on the night you become a member.
The indoor range key is issued after a short safety rules class followed by a live fire exam.
This done so we can keep the roof from leaking and the side walls from being shot out..

Feel free to email me here if you have any questions.

Today's event was a first and I thought the forum would find it humorous.

I had left my phone in the truck or an America's funniest video would have been uploaded here!:)

I have seen and even documented your narrow perspective of the world here on NES but perhaps in this case he was trying to set a good example for his son?

No by not risking a ruined day due to toolbags who see any confrontation not ending up on top as being a “push over”. Sound familiar?

Teaching your kid to acquiesce to some tool who is making up his own rules is not my thing.. standing up for yourself when you know you are right and it is reasonable to do so is an important lesson.

Ill fix this thread.

"I showed up to the range on a beautiful day with my kid ready to shoot. Then this guy made up some bullshit because he wanted to have the range to himself and I caved and left.. I however complained on a internet forum."

You are getting the mixed response on this forum because guys like that ruin good ranges.. and people like you allow it.

Teaching your kid to acquiesce to some tool who is making up his own rules is not my thing.. standing up for yourself when you know you are right and it is reasonable to do so is an important lesson.

Ill fix this thread.

"I showed up to the range on a beautiful day with my kid ready to shoot. Then this guy made up some bullshit because he wanted to have the range to himself and I caved and left.. I however complained on a internet forum."

You are getting the mixed response on this forum because guys like that ruin good ranges.. and people like you allow it.

I suspect the problem there is more fundamental... any club that has a "one gun on the bench" rule has an aroma of shit in its rules... and that's probably just the tip of the septic tank/outhouse... eventually those turds roll
downhill... it's likely a mindset problem at that place that was just brewing beneath the surface...

-Mike

"I showed up to the range on a beautiful day with my kid ready to shoot. Then this guy made up some bullshit because he wanted to have the range to himself and I caved and left.. I however complained on a internet forum”

LOL yeah point taken...

I always smile then I read the “No illegal or automatic weapons” warning.

1. Has anyone established yet if this is an actual rule at this club?
2. I like the point "Just ask "Are you a board member or anyone else with authority to tell me what to do on this range?".". At our club, anyone can request anyone else's membership card (with number), and ask to see their button (supposed to wear that to the range). If nothing else, license plate and vehicle info gets recorded.
3. Dual wielding? :)

Answers to your questions:
1:One gun per shooter is the club rule when on a bench.
2:There are cameras in use so that would be considered if something were against the rules. I plan on asking this and getting our clubs response.
3:You know at the Barnstable range that was my sop.

I live a few miles from my club.
I left Bass River over the fudds there.
Nauset and Monument Beach are 30 to 45 minutes away.
Belonging to any club, it's their rules, not yours.

I'll take being called a pussy over explaining to my wife how it got turned into a two way range.
I chose to sit it out today for fifteen or so minutes instead of getting into a heated argument at the range and having it all on video.
Showing my son that even though you may be right. Choose your battles. Evaluate the benefit and risk of what you get out of winning.
Being shot over who's range it is. Is not a worth it in front of my son. Sometimes walking away is the right answer.

There were two other shooters there with this guy.
So it escalates to hand to hand combat until someone decides to pull out his strap.
So I draw down and kill two of them and I get shot and my son gets killed when he grabs our rifle is a more likely outcome.

How would all this stand up in court for all you armchair and real lawyers here...

Last edited:
Agreed. I'd say no disrespect but I think you're incorrect and I think we should check the rule book later. Right now I'm shooting

And then pull out the AR with the brake and then proceed to do a mag dump. I hate FUDs and this one thinks he owns an entire range. So you came out and have to wait for one guy to be done before you can start.

One gun on the bench is a rule there? I'd black cross the shit out of that place and never go back. I'd get kicked out the first time... [rofl] I think I can count on one hand where I only took ONE gun to the range with me...

What a joke!
When I lived in Mass and belonged to Riverside, I never went with less than a dozen or so guns, 50 lbs of ammo, and I'd take up 8 feet of bench space for myself.

[thumbsup]

I get the feeling that the standard answer of "Grow a set of balls and move to New Hampshire" may indeed be correct in this situation.[smile]

There were two other shooters there with this guy.
So it escalates to hand to hand combat until someone decides to pull out his strap.
So I draw down and kill two of them and I get shot and my son gets killed when he grabs our rifle is a more likely outcome.

How would all this stand up in court for all you armchair and real lawyers here...

I know people in Mass are a bit more... bombastic, but how do you get to this turning into a shootout?

First step: smile. "No, that's not the rule." Go ahead and set your rifle on the bench. Don't be argumentative about it, just continue on your merry way. If he wants to push it, he's free to take his rifle off the bench while you shoot.

Smile. Keep smiling.

And smile even harder while OC'ing your sidearm.

Your club allows that, right? If not, beat feet out of there and never look back.

I've shot on lots of public ranges with sketchy characters. I've also shot at membership ranges (not the kind with RSOs, though). I would never think of shooting at either without a primary defensive handgun safely holstered, which doesn't get shot during that session.

M60, I always like your responses!:D

This post was about the fudds and fools we see at ranges.
And as usual it got into a: take his keys, bang his wife and an upper decker.

My son is very tall and built for his age.
He is impulsive and hasn't gotten into a fight yet as an eleven year old.
I'm very proud of the fact that he has controlled anger.
Stay calm, speak intelligently, evaluate the consequences of your future actions.
Sometimes you pay for being in the right and it may cost you dearly!

So arguing with this guy knowing he may not back down in front of his friends and things get physical was not on my plan today.
I don't know if they are all carrying other weapons.

Lets say things go south really fast.
My sons first reaction might be to grab the Blaze-Nikov.
Not a good outcome!

Or spending the rest of my life in prison knowing I did the right thing..[rofl]

All over fifteen minutes.

KBCraig, I wasn't carrying another firearm on me. That will be corrected.
You can't tell who is crazy just by looks.
My sons safety and showing him patience and how to deal with and evaluate conflict were a better lesson today.

Last edited:
I get the feeling that the standard answer of "Grow a set of balls and move to New Hampshire" may indeed be correct in this situation.[smile]

I think the standard answer is "find a less shitty place to shoot at". There are tons of ranges in MA where this would pretty much never happen.

-Mike

There are only two more clubs I can quit on the Cape.;)
I left Bass River over their retarded fudd rules.

For all I know they could be worse than this one. LOL
You know the type where you put your firearm on the bench.
The RO loads it with your ammo and shoots your gun and you clap as he tells you how good you did!:confused:

Have you driven off Cape in the summer on a weekend?
Swimming to New Hampshire would be faster!:D
Maybe a boat for a future boating accident would be a better choice. LOL

Last edited:
to avoid drama, this is why i go shooting on a weekday and as early as the range rules allow. understandable most people do not have that luxury and/or are not morning people. also anyone there at that time is in the same mind set as me.

on the lighter side, a few range visits ago, another guy was there with 2 other people. every time we commenced to shoot i'm noticing he puts the blinking range lights on. just a misunderstanding on his part. if he didn't catch on after i explained what they were for, no big deal. someone else could mix it up with him. it was just me and them. turned out he was new, very apologetic, and insisted no one told him at his safety briefing their use so he just assumed....wrong. a 50/50 chance of a guess.

there's usually a logical reason why some one does what they do. this guy in the original post got his ass slapped for some minor infraction. whoever did it didn't convey the reason very well to the poor guy and now he's all screwed up on a range rule.

M60, I always like your responses!:D

This post was about the fudds and fools we see at ranges.
And as usual it got into a: take his keys, bang his wife and an upper decker.

My son is very tall and built for his age.
He is impulsive and hasn't gotten into a fight yet as an eleven year old.
I'm very proud of the fact that he has controlled anger.
Stay calm, speak intelligently, evaluate the consequences of your future actions.
Sometimes you pay for being in the right and it may cost you dearly!

So arguing with this guy knowing he may not back down in front of his friends and things get physical was not on my plan today.
I don't know if they are all carrying other weapons.

Lets say things go south really fast.
My sons first reaction might be to grab the Blaze-Nikov.
Not a good outcome!

Or spending the rest of my life in prison knowing I did the right thing..[rofl]

Atta boy oldguy68 . Sons safety comes first. Ass wipes last.
All over fifteen minutes.

KBCraig, I wasn't carrying another firearm on me. That will be corrected.
You can't tell who is crazy just by looks.
My sons safety and showing him patience and how to deal with and evaluate conflict were a better lesson today.

I wasn't carrying another firearm on me. That will be corrected.

This, certainly this and situational awareness in the parking lot or on the range is essential.

No need to be paranoid but what would happen if some ne'er do well followed you into the range? Or you left your rifle on the bench and were downrange changing targets? Just something to think about.

We had a thread on this. NES Thread: Student shoots firearm instructor in VT

Prosecutor: Vermont woman shot firearms instructor in face

MONTPELIER, Vt. -- A woman brought a hammer to a firearms lesson and then tried to kill her instructor by shooting him in the face with a revolver, a prosecutor said Tuesday.

Veronica Lewis, 31, of Worcester, pleaded not guilty to attempted first-degree murder in the shooting of 48-year-old Darryl Montague at his home in Westford in northern Vermont, where he runs a licensed firearms business.

Lewis fired three shots at Montague, striking him twice in the jaw and once in the abdomen, Chittenden County State's Attorney T.J. Donovan said. She fled, and she gave a false phone number when she was apprehended, he said.

Last edited:
This is one of my favorite quotes from the "FUD Quotes on the Range" thread by mac1911

Some of what i heard and its not just fudds...

Another day i was hanging around and had a conversation with a old time collector. I mentioned about missing the window for me to buy a M16 and Thompson . Few LEO hanging around and one says "no civilian can own a M16"
i spout out " all you need is cash and time"
He then in a loud voice says "let me correct myself NO Civilian in mass can legally own or posses a machine gun"
Then a nice old man says " normally i just sit here and laugh at you guys quietly but today i have to laugh out load, let the lawyers worry about what the law is there buddy you dont have a clue" now leo is pissy and tells gramps to FO and gets all jacked.
The fun begins as there where several green card carring guys on the line waiting to set up for a little giggle switch party.
When these "old" guys pulled out the hardware i thought this leo was going to call SWAT .

best was when the guy i was talking to pulled out his M16 with drum and short barrel. Leo says where did you get that.
Old dog says " cracker jack box, loaded and hot " then let the drum loose.

Thankfully I've never encountered this level of bullshit in my life and am fully prepared for it if I do. It helps to know and be friendly with just about all of our club's directors and officers. Go be a dipshit somewhere else.

Honestly sounds like this guy was talking out his ass and just didn't want to have to share the range. Probably the same level of a**h*** who can't hit the f***ing target he's shooting at and ends up with all his rounds going straight into the baffles.

Man, after listening to all your guys stories and versions of rules you have at your clubs I really love my club even more.

Every time I go I have a pretty good assortment of stuff on the bench (always pointed downrange for safety) bunch of different ammo out. I usually do transition drills from rifle to pistol, reload drills, mag dumps..... Shooting random objects that I no longer need. Never really had anyone come up and say anything. I've had one guy come up and ask if I was a member, told him I have been a member for the past 5 years or so. He didn't ask for proof, I didn't ask who he was, he watched for a little bit then left .

I couldn't I'magine putting up with some of the stuff you guys have to deal with. Sounds like some of you guys are surrounded by douchebags and have a bunch of stupid rules.

CCFG is a very good club, that's their one silly rule(along with no full auto) and I break it every time I go there because there's almost never anyone else there. The one time someone pointed it out he did it more as a 'heads up' than being an a-hole. I've been there for 5 or 6 years and never seen anyone be an a-hole like OP encountered - point is it's a one time thing and no need to lump it in with those truly fudd clubs who only allow 5 rounds in a mag at a time or slow fire only.

As a side note I really miss the Barnstable range, that place was awesome. Rules? We don't need no stinkin rules!

Back
Top Bottom