• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Tool Exchange/Loaner/Services Thread Feeler - Please Advise

I ran this by Admin and got the go ahead but I'm still not sure how to roll it out or how successful the idea will be.

Of the myriad of things NES offers (humiliation/chastising aside), I realized there hasn't been an official thread that I am aware of where members can offer tools for loan/exchange novice gunsmith services with other members.

For instance, I just bought a Wheeler scope mounting kit on Amazon for $100. I would be surprised if after I'm done with going through all the rings and mounts in the safe that I will be using the lapping/truing rods and levels very often, but I enjoy setting up optics/mounts and would be willing to help out others in exchange for...anything gun related...or not gun related.

We're always doing something to our firearms...and there's always more to learn!

What I have to offer in the Worcester, MA and surrounding areas:

-AR Lower Receiver Vice Block
-AR Combination Wrench for 10's and 15's
-Various Punches, Hammers, Wrenches, Pliers
-A full size parts washer filled with a mixture of Kerosene and Safety Kleen Parts Solvent (works great for cosmoline removal and deep cleaning of parts)
-3/8" and 1/2" drive Craftsman digitork Torque Wrenches
-Wheeler FAT Wrench Torque Screw Driver
-Wheeler 1" and 30mm Scope Ring/Mount Lapping Kit

I'll edit this post as I think of more stuff...

And in the spirit of helping people that might have other tools/services to loan or exchange, I have a ridiculous collection of automotive tools and an extensive knowledge of many popular makes/models of vehicles from 10 years in the auto salvage business. Most of my tools are no longer in regular use since I got into the inventory department as opposed to pulling parts in the Junkyard. I just thing it's a shame that someone else might need to buy a $100 tool they might use once or twice when I probably have 2 sitting in my garage!

Obviously, there's some things that are going to need some real thought/input from the NES community as a whole...but I just think there's too much know-how from the members here and that not all of it can be exchanged on the pages of the forum.

Things to consider (PM with more to add):

-How do we determine who to exchange services/tools with and what for (gun tools in exchange for tax prep, perhaps...lol)
-How do we keep this friendly and keep people from taking advantage of others and not giving anything back
-How to do this without creating liability for those involved
-Should there be limits on what can be traded/exchanged/loaned as long as it's legal in your state?
-Is this just even a good idea in the first place

Please feel free to add any ideas/concerns you might have with this...and keep the chain going with listing what you have to offer or what you're looking for and maybe we can establish a network within a network that can not only help us save money, time, and the frustration of having to do something alone for the first time...but maybe some of you bastards can actually make a few friends in the process!
[rofl]

Semper Fidelis,
Dakar652

Last edited:
I just offer NES'rs any tools that i have if I see a need in a thread.
I just gave one of my AR wrenches to a fellow NES'r told him to keep it, lend it out or pass it along

They have this on rimfire central for a receiver cleaning hole drilling jig. It works great. A consideration would be the cost of shipping and have insurance on the package, if they have the knowledge of using the tool properly and what happens if it breaks. I think its a great idea

i wont get into shipping unless I sell it
short list
AR wrench, action vice block
M1,1903,M1 carbine action wrench
M garand barrel vice
Pull through chamber reamer
30-06 finish reamer
30-06 head space guages
11' crowning tool
8mm head space guages

location Hanover Ma

I've loaned out several tools to people here and on a local motorcycle forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In Nashua
HAVE:
556 and 300blk Go/nogo gauges
Torque wrenches 3/8, 1/4 (cheap HF tools. I set and verify readings on analyzer at work)
Vise blocks AR
AR armorers tool
SCAR 62 in/lb torque wrench

Last edited:
Looks like this has been attempted before. In order to give credit where credit is due, radioman seems to have had this very idea but without the request of a return favor that I added! Guess i'm just a selfish prick :D

https://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/265849-Tools!-I-have-em-and-am-willing-to-share

Keep them coming guys! I think this might be getting some steam finally.

I added my location to my first post as well...keeping to the idea that adding duplicate tools (something someone else already added) might be a good idea. We're actually geographically a little spread out on this site even though most of us are in MA.

Yep. I borrowed an AR receiver insert from MAC to complete by first build....thanks again.

I just offer NES'rs any tools that i have if I see a need in a thread.
I just gave one of my AR wrenches to a fellow NES'r told him to keep it, lend it out or pass it along

I would be more that glad to loan out tools to any member in SE MA. I got all kinds of crap, everything you need to put an AR together. 1903 test bolt and gauges, head space gauges. I even have HS gauges for 30/40 Krag....I don't know why either [hmmm]. Got a nice fancy shmancy EGW Glock sight pusher too. Got HS gauges for 6.5 grendel, 308, 30.06, 30/30 (again don't know why) 8mm, 300 black out, .223 and 5.56 depending on your mood. I even got that plier like tool to take the metal clips of M1A handguards.

I'm a sucker for a new tool, Besides the standard AR tools I have a staking tool for the gas key and a bolt disassembly tool which really does come in handy and an A2 rear sight installation tool....Guess I need to take an inventory [laugh]

My only conditions would be:
You pick it up and return it in a reasonable amount of time, not a year later!
You break it or **** it up, you replace it!

Last edited:
I might take you up on the Glock sight pusher...been meaning to swap the plastic sights on a few...just cant bring myself to buy one ;-)

No problem, lemme know. It has the pusher for angled sights like the Trijicon's or Tru-dot's, also got the little gizmo nut driver thingy for the front sight as well. I bought it when I was a Glock fan and changed all the sights on my glocks so it was worth it at the time to plunk the cash down, plus I just wanted to do it myself.

Last edited:
Anyone have .308 go/no go gauges? Or maybe a match kit so I can determine actual headspace on an upcoming M1A build?

You can rent them.... I would call the rental place to see if they have a match set. I don't see it listed.

It's 200$ for the match set.

I don't have much. I built my FAL (rather, assembled it. I'm told if you don't "make" the receiver yourself, you're merely putting a parts kit together) years back and then sold all the tools and gauges I used to do it. It was definitely a fun project and I didn't screw anything up. That was the only gun I ever put together like that. It was from a mixed bag parts kit, STG58 upper and Imbel lower.

Anyhow I still have the FAL gas wrench and front sight tool. I have an AK/SKS front sight tool, a homemade Glock front sight tool, an M1 carbine bolt disassembly tool, and that's pretty much it for specialized equipment. That and a tacklebox full of assorted tools and parts. [laugh] Located on Cape Cod if anyone ever wants to borrow any of that stuff.

If you have tools you don't think you'll need to use again, consider donating them to your local makerspace.

I know the Manchester Makerspace welcomes donation of gunsmithing related tools.

I need to convince my maker space to be more gun friendly ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Barrel Vice with inserts. Flat bottom Receiver wrench (Mauser, 1903/03A3). Go and No-Go gauges for 30-06, 8&7mm Mauser(plus everything else they fit) 7.62 X 54R, 7.7 and 6.5mm Jap. and a 303 Brit & 30-06 field Gauge.
I also have some stuff for ARs
18342781_10213295589446950_7330374897164752980_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom